The Non League Football Thread ⚽

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was thinking, after Grimsby knocked Wrexham out of the playoffs last season, that finishing 2nd & 3rd is actually a disadvantage if anything.

I mean, the other playoff sides haven't had an extended period between games, so by the time they reach the semis, they are coming in with serious confidence & momentum, after winning in the previous round just days earlier. Whereas, the 2nd & 3rd placed teams have been fretting for ages, by the time their game comes about.

With Wrexham, I have a slight conflict.

On one hand their chairmen are invested, they come across superbly and are excellent on PR.

On the other, Wrexham have the best manager and squad in the conference, there is a league one quality squad there. This set up should win the league, they are the Man City of the conference in terms of resource, I don't resent that but you have to see it for what it is.

I loved the documentary on Wrexham and I think being a fan of the club must be wonderful at the moment. I also think Chevy5 Chevy5 is right to be cynical!

With Wrexham, I have a slight conflict.

On one hand their chairmen are invested, they come across superbly and are excellent on PR.

On the other, Wrexham have the best manager and squad in the conference, there is a league one quality squad there. This set up should win the league, they are the Man City of the conference in terms of resource, I don't resent that but you have to see it for what it is.

I loved the documentary on Wrexham and I think being a fan of the club must be wonderful at the moment. I also think Chevy5 Chevy5 is right to be cynical!
Having said what I said, & having read your post & agreeing, what I will say, is, the reason that they ended up in the NL in the first place, was because of two crooks, who took ownership of the club under false pretences. Their sole objective was to destroy the club, both on & off the pitch, just so that they could then bulldoze the ground & make millions building on it.

Which was evil.

Having said what I said, & having read your post & agreeing, what I will say, is, the reason that they ended up in the NL in the first place, was because of two crooks, who took ownership of the club under false pretences. Their sole objective was to destroy the club, both on & off the pitch, just so that they could then bulldoze the ground & make millions building on it.

Which was evil.
Difference being is that they are not state-owned human atrocity owners. They are people with money who want to take a small club into the big-time. Nothing wrong with that, plenty have tried and lost a lot of money, these guys seem to be doing it right so far.

Which was evil.
And it's not just Wrexham who've been victim to this, many clubs have not recovered from bad management.

I think locally around here Enfield have never been the same since they lost Southbury Road, nearer to my home it's nearly 20 years since Aylesbury United played in Aylesbury, their old ground is still there and a tragic sight. There are a lot of people who come in to football clubs with bad motivation.

But your point is correct, Wrexham should never have been a subject of a non league thread, it always had the base of a league club and it was handled criminally.

I suppose the Man City point is not so much about owners and a bit more that football romance appears to have moved from a story of a club with no budget or resources coming good, to someone coming along and providing the resources and making a world of difference, in other words I'm being a miserable old bastard! (and that the narrative has changed, obvs).

30 years ago Reynolds and Mcelhenney probably wouldn't of bought Wrexham but a premiership team but even the money they have they couldn't afford one these days

And it's not just Wrexham who've been victim to this, many clubs have not recovered from bad management.

I think locally around here Enfield have never been the same since they lost Southbury Road, nearer to my home it's nearly 20 years since Aylesbury United played in Aylesbury, their old ground is still there and a tragic sight. There are a lot of people who come in to football clubs with bad motivation.

But your point is correct, Wrexham should never have been a subject of a non league thread, it always had the base of a league club and it was handled criminally.

I suppose the Man City point is not so much about owners and a bit more that football romance appears to have moved from a story of a club with no budget or resources coming good, to someone coming along and providing the resources and making a world of difference, in other words I'm being a miserable old bastard! (and that the narrative has changed, obvs).
While what Reynolds and the other fella have done at Wrexham is great, Wealdstone are the true romance story of the NL though.

The only fully part time team/management in the league and yet again punching way above their weight against much bigger and 'better' squads.
They (we) only have 3ish years left on the lease for the ground, who knows what the future holds.

While what Reynolds and the other fella have done at Wrexham is great, Wealdstone are the true romance story of the NL though.

The only fully part time team/management in the league and yet again punching way above their weight against much bigger and 'better' squads.
They (we) only have 3ish years left on the lease for the ground, who knows what the future holds.
I really thought that you were going to make the playoffs, until no so long ago.

That's something that hadn't dawned on me. That happened to Macclesfield decades back.
Back in 1985, Wealdstone did the non league double. Automatic promotion wasn't a thing back then and the Football League decided Lower Mead (our ground in Harrow Weald and now a Tesco) wasn't deemed good enough, so promotion was denied.

A rapid decline for years ensued... losing Lower Mead, lodgers at Watford, ground sharers at Yeading, falling into administration, ground sharers at Edgware, having 'The Hive' stolen from us by Harrow Council and those cunts from Barnet, ground sharing with Northwood, before finally arriving at Grosvenor Vale in 2008.

Now that's a story!

:wansum:

Back in 1985, Wealdstone did the non league double. Automatic promotion wasn't a thing back then and the Football League decided Lower Mead (our ground in Harrow Weald and now a Tesco) wasn't deemed good enough, so promotion was denied.

A rapid decline for years ensued... losing Lower Mead, lodgers at Watford, ground sharers at Yeading, falling into administration, ground sharers at Edgware, having 'The Hive' stolen from us by Harrow Council and those cunts from Barnet, ground sharing with Northwood, before finally arriving at Grosvenor Vale in 2008.

Now that's a story!

:wansum:
I didn't know about any of that. The Hive story is a killer.

BADGERS BE GONE!...

The new floodlights are finally being erected!

I suppose one of the supporters must be hosting the badgers. Probably in a flat.

Still a bit gutted by the weekend. Lewes FC missed out on the playoffs by 2 goals. Football down there has been superb this season. Hoping for similar next year and many decent evenings at one of the best grounds in the SE.

Back
Top Bottom