Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Had a little look at FBRef today when I was bored to see if Dier's stats reflected how shite he has been this season and my god did it highlight just what we thought... some telling per90 stats below for his last year compared to other CBs in the top 5 leagues:
- Long pass completion = 58% (bottom 40%)
- Tackles = 0.97 (bottom 11%)
- Dribblers challenged = 0.63 (bottom 5%)
- Dribblers tackled = 0.29 (bottom 2%)
- Tackle success = 45.8% (bottom 6%)
- Blocks = 1.18 (bottom 46%)
- Interceptions = 1.13 (bottom 40%)
- Errors = 0.10 (bottom 11%)

Had good comparative stats in short/med passing and heading... thats about it. Seems like our lynchpin of the back 3 had a year of doing just about fuck all defending. Seems about right.

How does it compare to the rest of our centre backs?

How does it compare to the rest of our centre backs?
Romero - top 5% for tackles made, top 23% for blocks, top 20% interceptions, top 5% aerials won, bottom 13% errors.
Davies - Bottom 28% for pass completion, bottom 26% for tackles, bottom 3% for blocks, bottom 12% interceptions, bottom 17% clearances, bang average for errors. (So he's actually contending with Dier for most shocking stats tbh)
Lenglet - Similar passing stats to Eric, top 23% for tackles, bottom 19% for tackle success, bottom 40% for blocks, bottom 18% for interceptions, bottom 19% for clearances, bottom 21% for errors, bottom 42% for aerials won.

So yeah you're right to highlight that Dier hasn't been alone in his poor performance. Not good enough from Davies or Lenglet either, bearing in mind that these %s are looking at ALL centre backs across top 5 leagues so they're not even comparing to the top players, this includes all the worst players in all of those leagues too...

Had a little look at FBRef today when I was bored to see if Dier's stats reflected how shite he has been this season and my god did it highlight just what we thought... some telling per90 stats below for his last year compared to other CBs in the top 5 leagues:
- Long pass completion = 58% (bottom 40%)
- Tackles = 0.97 (bottom 11%)
- Dribblers challenged = 0.63 (bottom 5%)
- Dribblers tackled = 0.29 (bottom 2%)
- Tackle success = 45.8% (bottom 6%)
- Blocks = 1.18 (bottom 46%)
- Interceptions = 1.13 (bottom 40%)
- Errors = 0.10 (bottom 11%)

Had good comparative stats in short/med passing and heading... thats about it. Seems like our lynchpin of the back 3 had a year of doing just about fuck all defending. Seems about right.
Agreed, but you really didnt need to waste time researching and analyzing stats, hes shite, has been for years!;)

Jean Yoon Reaction GIF by Kim's Convenience

need 2 new CB this summer - nobody in the squad good enough for Spurs
We most likely need 3, only Romero decent enough! And we would probably have to keep at least 1 of the donkeys, since we probably need 5 in the squad.

Since Ndicka looks to be on his way to Roma, we could probably try to go for Laporte, Guehi, and Kilman.

Would give us Romero and Guehi at RCB, and Laporte and Kilman at LCB, i could live with that

Race is run. Wimp of a CB and we have no need of him as a CDM back-up (that's Skippy's role).

The fact that he's been at the club for so long shouldn't be an automatic indicator of "leadership qualities". Nor should his ability to speak several languages - a bonus at best. £85k a week to be a loud traffic cone with a decent pass on him.

I think we need to lock this thread...every time I see there's been a new post, I have this dreaded feeling it's someone announcing that he's signed a new contract.

I've got a feeling Ange might try Dier out in a more DM role (moving him up like Pep did with John Stones)
Not saying it'll work, but I wouldn't put it past Dier embracing that kind of positional switch, and trust from your manager...

After all, he was more of a midfielder when he first came ....and did pretty well there too!

...he's more intelligent than people think.... for a footballer!

I reckon it's worth a go....

We most likely need 3, only Romero decent enough! And we would probably have to keep at least 1 of the donkeys, since we probably need 5 in the squad.

Since Ndicka looks to be on his way to Roma, we could probably try to go for Laporte, Guehi, and Kilman.

Would give us Romero and Guehi at RCB, and Laporte and Kilman at LCB, i could live with that
We don’t need 3 new centre backs. We will be playing a back 4.

I've got a feeling Ange might try Dier out in a more DM role (moving him up like Pep did with John Stones)
Not saying it'll work, but I wouldn't put it past Dier embracing that kind of positional switch, and trust from your manager...

After all, he was more of a midfielder when he first came ....and did pretty well there too!

...he's more intelligent than people think.... for a footballer!

I reckon it's worth a go....
He was also a stone lighter …. A yard faster and twice as mobile

The reason he stopped being an England quality dm was because he matured out of those characteristics

This wasn’t unexpected and it was assumed he’d make a top CB ….. just never materialised

Back
Top Bottom