Johan Lange - Technical Director

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Son had caught my eye when I saw him play in Germany. It was obvious he was a good player. I really dont think he was exactly a rough diamond unearthed from anywhere. He'd have been a success wherever he went.

Agreed.

I think he's actually gone up another level this season in both becoming captain (and demonstrating leadership skills both for the other players as well as for the fans/club) as well as moving to becoming the main 'marksman'/goalscorer rather than left winger/auxiliary striker role he had been.

Great player to have acquired - especially at about age 23 when he was a relatively established player but with so many years playing time ahead of him. And I suspect his commercial value to Spurs now as South Korea's best ever sportsman is very significant too.

Looks a very encouraging appointment but nobody "discovers" a player like Haaland who had a famous Dad that played.

Would be like claiming to have discovered that Redondo Jr kid in Argentina.

Kids like that will have eyes on them from the start.

Kante and Mahrez were historically good scouting tho.

Well, we’re not getting Steve Walsh, the guy that article is about, we’re getting Rob MacKenzie.

Yeah I got that but Walsh didn't "discover" Haaland any more than MacKenzie did. But MacKenzie was very much involved in Mahrez and some other worldy bits of scouting.

Yeah, likewise Son, Alderweireld etc. Hardly hidden gems.

That said, wasn’t he trying to sign Haaland before he went to RBS?

The mirror article suggests it was Walsh who “recruited” Mahrez? Maybe they were both involved? Who knows.

Yeah, identifying someone is one thing. Getting them to sign is another. Paratici seems to know how to grease the wheels
100%. I think this was always Paratici’s primary role, not identifying and scouting individuals and compared to Levy, he did well at closing deals quickly

100%. I think this was always Paratici’s primary role, not identifying and scouting individuals and compared to Levy, he did well at closing deals quickly

Agree Paratici’s black book is about contract situations and understanding who is interested in which player.

Also seemed to have a good understanding of what made a good scout and talent evaluator.

Agree Paratici’s black book is about contract situations and understanding who is interested in which player.

Also seemed to have a good understanding of what made a good scout and talent evaluator.
I think it’s also having the flair to listen, and adapt to close a deal

I think it’s fair to say Levy is inflexible, pig headed and has to ‘win’ the negotiation.

I think it’s also having the flair to listen, and adapt to close a deal

I think it’s fair to say Levy is inflexible, pig headed and has to ‘win’ the negotiation.

Yeah agree. you can see the inlfuence that Paratici style dealings had on the club even since he left.

The GK situation would have previously ended with us dragging on the Raya deal all summer and starting with Forster in goal until we got the price we wanted. Levy has always just been that stubborn.

Paratici style is to get you from a few angles and never let the seller get comfortable that they really have our main target until the very end.

All the while the noise was about Raya it meant Empoli couldn't be sure they'd get a big pay out from us and they knew a Seria A club would want to pay less later in the window.

I suspect Paratici is involved all the way through to a signing.

He may not always be the first in his team to scout a particular player but I'm pretty sure he does spend a good deal of time watching players who he thinks might be a good fit for the team and that way knows the kind of value range he's prepared to pay and indeed how many of that type of player are available - sometimes his short list to fill a particular position might be quite short, sometimes there's a few players who might be decent buys.

Once he's identified his shortlist for a position, its then he decides his strategy to close the deal (based upon knowing most of the people at most if not all the clubs, and probably the players contract position) - and that as you say is where he's probably very good, but I suspect its because he's put in the work to really understand the real 'worth' of the player.

As an example, I understand Paratici had spent a couple of years tracking Vicario's progress, and probably judged this was the summer where he had the experience to make the jump to the PL, but he also had Raya on the shortlist, possibly because being HG (Spurs are still short of quality HG players) and PL experience he had to be in the list.

But with Brentford inflexible on price for Raya, he decided to close the deal to sign Vicario very quickly. A real masterclass on acquiring a top player in a 'must fill' position in a timely manner and at a very acceptable price.

Yeah agree. you can see the inlfuence that Paratici style dealings had on the club even since he left.

The GK situation would have previously ended with us dragging on the Raya deal all summer and starting with Forster in goal until we got the price we wanted. Levy has always just been that stubborn.

Paratici style is to get you from a few angles and never let the seller get comfortable that they really have our main target until the very end.

All the while the noise was about Raya it meant Empoli couldn't be sure they'd get a big pay out from us and they knew a Seria A club would want to pay less later in the window.
Agree with all that but FYI he hasn’t left

Why? I read that as more of an internal focused COO role not an external deal-maker

Munn is essentially the CEO of the Football club now.

If he's not doing deals then nobody is. If Paratici had overturned his ban, he'd have sat below Munn in the org chart and reported to him,

We all know Levy has to greenlight any final signature but you'd have to guess Munn will be doing most of the early lifting on the majority of deals.

Munn is essentially the CEO of the Football club now.

If he's not doing deals then nobody is. If Paratici had overturned his ban, he'd have sat below Munn in the org chart and reported to him,

We all know Levy has to greenlight any final signature but you'd have to guess Munn will be doing most of the early lifting on the majority of deals.
Completely disagree. Does a CEO of your company do Sales deals, or Procurement? Doubt it

I agree Paratic would be below Munn in the staffing pyramid but perhaps the maverick has a dotted line to Levy and has a more defined role

Back
Top Bottom