Johan Lange - Technical Director

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do ANY of us really know what ANY of them do?

I'd say, whoever scouted/recommended Ndombele & Richie needs to be sacked, and whoever unearthed Vicario, Udogie, VDV and Sarr needs to be given a statue!

(Unless it's the same person... In which case, we ALL make mistakes!!)

Even lesser known players like Sarr, Udogie, Vicario, would be well known among scouts, Romero was known for being the best defender in Seria A. There is really in his little black book worth paying for.

Your opinion of Paratici is irrelevant considering your disgusting bias against him, so feel free to not comment.

Yours,

Everyone.

:nunothumb:

Even lesser known players like Sarr, Udogie, Vicario, would be well known among scouts, Romero was known for being the best defender in Seria A. There is really in his little black book worth paying for.

"Little black book" = list of contacts; not list of players.

I'm perfectly aware that DOFs don't typically find themselves scouting on the front line..... Notably; when he first arrived he'd put a tier of 4 other people in between him and the scouting crew(s).

bus-conductor bus-conductor -

1eSJ.gif

Do ANY of us really know what ANY of them do?

I'd say, whoever scouted/recommended Ndombele & Richie needs to be sacked, and whoever unearthed Vicario, Udogie, VDV and Sarr needs to be given a statue!

(Unless it's the same person... In which case, we ALL make mistakes!!)

Heung-Min Son
There are usually a number of people involved in any deal - as an example David Pleat first scouted Son whilst at Hamburg but Spurs were not interested in him enough to stop his transfer to Leverkusen a couple of years later.

Son attracted more attention at Leverkusen, but the reason he came to Spurs is that Leverkusen had refused to allow Son to go to the Asian Games (a non FIFA mandatory international tournament), whilst Son was desperate to go as if South Korea won that tournament South Korean law said they were exempt from the 2 years military service which had to have started by age 28. As is widely known, Spurs allowed him after signing (it was in his contract) to go to Asian Games which South Korea won, and hence Son has a longer playing career rather than going into the army.

I've heard that Son is ' claimed' by Paul Mitchell, Steve Walsh and Rob Mackenzie as having 'scouted him' , and quite possibly all 3 can having scouted and recommended him to Spurs, and same is true for David Pleat (although he has said it was after his time that Son was signed, so he's not claiming it was him who got Son signed). Truth is really its whoever agreed (might even be Levy) that Son was a good enough catch to allow him to go off for 6 weeks to win Asian Games that sealed Son coming to Spurs.

So probably fairer to say great teamwork got Son to Spurs.

Ndombele

Spurs nearly signed Frenkie de Jong as Pochettino's first choice midfielder in 2018 Frenkie de Jong admits he nearly joined Tottenham before Barcelona move but de Jong only wanted Barcelona. So Pochettino demanded the best midfielder he had seen in Ndombele and having got Spurs to CL final, was in a strong position to demand his first choices which were Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon (then seen as best young HG player who would move to Spurs.

The lesson to be learned here is a DoF and recruitment department might be expensive - but should prevent the likes of Ndomble deal being repeated.

Richarlison

Trying to find a good no 9 is a nightmare, there really are few if any ready made ones around - that's why a few years ago Liverpool for example signed the low scoring Firminho and Salah (famously rejected by Klopp until arm bent behind his back by the DoF, Klopp grudgingly agreed) to score goals plus Mane to do hold up play. None of the three good enough to be a top no 9 but together they worked - big problem when Mane left and Liverpool looked far worse. And I'm not sure newer signing Darwen Nunez is all that hood either.

So IMO Richarlison was signed as the best of a list of strikers which (like Liverpool before us) were known to be 'average' in too many areas - and you may recall he was only signed after Spurs had been chasing Raphinha at Leeds before it became apparent he only wanted Barcelona.

So far this season Richarlison has got 4 goal involvements (1 goal and 3 assists) in 25% of PL games so he might well get 16+ goal involvements this season.

IMO that is why Veliz was bought - maybe next season he will start to be a viable no 9 or alternatively there's a couple coming through Spurs youth. Better than wasting another £60m.

Vicario, Udogie, Ven de Ven, Sarr,

I think we all know the DoF/Consultant and his team who signed these 4, and its fantastic work to get all 4 at very affordable prices too. IMO none quite world class (yet !) but all very good players now who may well improve. And don't forget Maddison off that list, nor a string of others !

Looks a very encouraging appointment but nobody "discovers" a player like Haaland who had a famous Dad that played.

Would be like claiming to have discovered that Redondo Jr kid in Argentina.

Kids like that will have eyes on them from the start.

Kante and Mahrez were historically good scouting tho.

Heung-Min Son
There are usually a number of people involved in any deal - as an example David Pleat first scouted Son whilst at Hamburg but Spurs were not interested in him enough to stop his transfer to Leverkusen a couple of years later.

Son attracted more attention at Leverkusen, but the reason he came to Spurs is that Leverkusen had refused to allow Son to go to the Asian Games (a non FIFA mandatory international tournament), whilst Son was desperate to go as if South Korea won that tournament South Korean law said they were exempt from the 2 years military service which had to have started by age 28. As is widely known, Spurs allowed him after signing (it was in his contract) to go to Asian Games which South Korea won, and hence Son has a longer playing career rather than going into the army.

I've heard that Son is ' claimed' by Paul Mitchell, Steve Walsh and Rob Mackenzie as having 'scouted him' , and quite possibly all 3 can having scouted and recommended him to Spurs, and same is true for David Pleat (although he has said it was after his time that Son was signed, so he's not claiming it was him who got Son signed). Truth is really its whoever agreed (might even be Levy) that Son was a good enough catch to allow him to go off for 6 weeks to win Asian Games that sealed Son coming to Spurs.

So probably fairer to say great teamwork got Son to Spurs.

Ndombele

Spurs nearly signed Frenkie de Jong as Pochettino's first choice midfielder in 2018 Frenkie de Jong admits he nearly joined Tottenham before Barcelona move but de Jong only wanted Barcelona. So Pochettino demanded the best midfielder he had seen in Ndombele and having got Spurs to CL final, was in a strong position to demand his first choices which were Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon (then seen as best young HG player who would move to Spurs.

The lesson to be learned here is a DoF and recruitment department might be expensive - but should prevent the likes of Ndomble deal being repeated.

Richarlison

Trying to find a good no 9 is a nightmare, there really are few if any ready made ones around - that's why a few years ago Liverpool for example signed the low scoring Firminho and Salah (famously rejected by Klopp until arm bent behind his back by the DoF, Klopp grudgingly agreed) to score goals plus Mane to do hold up play. None of the three good enough to be a top no 9 but together they worked - big problem when Mane left and Liverpool looked far worse. And I'm not sure newer signing Darwen Nunez is all that hood either.

So IMO Richarlison was signed as the best of a list of strikers which (like Liverpool before us) were known to be 'average' in too many areas - and you may recall he was only signed after Spurs had been chasing Raphinha at Leeds before it became apparent he only wanted Barcelona.

So far this season Richarlison has got 4 goal involvements (1 goal and 3 assists) in 25% of PL games so he might well get 16+ goal involvements this season.

IMO that is why Veliz was bought - maybe next season he will start to be a viable no 9 or alternatively there's a couple coming through Spurs youth. Better than wasting another £60m.

Vicario, Udogie, Ven de Ven, Sarr,

I think we all know the DoF/Consultant and his team who signed these 4, and its fantastic work to get all 4 at very affordable prices too. IMO none quite world class (yet !) but all very good players now who may well improve. And don't forget Maddison off that list, nor a string of others !

Son had caught my eye when I saw him play in Germany. It was obvious he was a good player. I really dont think he was exactly a rough diamond unearthed from anywhere. He'd have been a success wherever he went.

MacKenzie was - Head of Technical Scouting at Leicester between 2011 and 2015.

Back
Top Bottom