Manchester City v Tottenham - Sunday 3 Dec 16:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's blown out of proportion as its so late. Grealish is unlikely to score anyway

Absolutely...... You hear moaning about 'advantage' decisions (be that played or not played) all the time....... Yet this time it's deemed one of the worst decisions of the season.

Melt-fodder.

Can I follow through on Arteta?

:nunothumb:
Sexually, YES!!!

Charlie Day Ok GIF

Or...

You could call it for what it was, rather than labelling it a "long ball" because it wasn't.

It might help to clear up that trembly bottom lip of yours as well.
jesus mate - how old are you - 12?

pass from half way in our half to half way into their half

not the short range passing with which we try to work the ball since Ange took over

If that IS the case the storm could be easily explained away with a brief post-match statement from the ref........

Ob.v they won't tho.
Not many years watching football

Much as the Liverpool thing was grossly overdone, and the replay calls were LOL muddle-headed scouse nonsense, at least they did have a legit goal chopped off. This was just a "chance". Honestly I would be surprised if the best estimate (using whatever relevant data we could muster) put JG's chances of scoring at more than 1 in 5.

Not a good look for Haaland to be so abusive towards referees.

The fact City players were not carded, when they should have been, is more clear cut -- consequentially speaking.

View: https://x.com/nocontextfm1/status/1731383858304614470?s=20

Seen a reply to this. Ref blew for the foul then stopped it for playing a moving ball.

In that case, it's the right decision?

Am I missing something?

Ignoring the fact the ref didn't blow that early, only Haaland ever touched the ball. He can't play a free-kick to himself - moving ball or not.

As always with this stuff, people are looking for complications. He initially played advantage then thought there was none so blew. Spurs players stopped, leaving Grealish seemingly in loads of space and Haaland ugly cried.

Nothing more sinister than that.

Am I the only person that sees why the ref blew at the end?

I think it's as simple as he didn't see Grealish.

He played advantage, he thought Haaland was the furthest forward and watched him hoof the ball forward so brought it back.

Pretty sure he doesn't take his eyes off Haaland until after he blows.

Either that or thought the hoof forward was over hit and Grealish wasn't getting there first = no advantage obtained from hoof forward so called play back.

As it was Grealish still had a lot to do and a goal was by no means assured even if ref had not blown.

A much lesser mistake by the ref than when Bentancur was maliciously hacked down in Villa game (same 'tackle' as more or less ended Doherty's career)

Am I missing something?

Ignoring the fact the ref didn't blow that early, only Haaland ever touched the ball. He can't play a free-kick to himself - moving ball or not.

As always with this stuff, people are looking for complications. He initially played advantage then thought there was none so blew. Spurs players stopped, leaving Grealish seemingly in loads of space and Haaland ugly cried.

Nothing more sinister than that.

Either that or thought the hoof forward was over hit and Grealish wasn't getting there first = no advantage obtained from hoof forward so called play back.

As it was Grealish still had a lot to do and a goal was by no means assured even if ref had not blown.

A much lesser mistake by the ref than when Bentancur was maliciously hacked down in Villa game (same 'tackle' as more or less ended Doherty's career)
or when Nketiah followed through on Vic, and by good fortune didn't break his leg

Last edited:
"But the performance will stand as the most satisfying moment of Postecoglou’s time as Tottenham manager to date; and as confirmation in spirit, discipline and the boldness of his tactics, that something really is stirring here."

Well put. It's basically the performance that means the team should have no excuse for not playing Angeball in any subsequent match, regardless of the circumstances.

>at Man City away
>decimated squad
>still played the way we wanted to

I doubt there'll be a more adverse set of conditions. If we were able to pull it off yesterday then we can do it anywhere, and the squad now knows this.

Back
Top Bottom