Big case tomorrow, regarding FIFA/UEFA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

View: https://x.com/markgoldbridge/status/1737791433333956706?s=46&t=Gc6HrWVZT0mtSXU7r8ZBIQ

Assume now we will have a European split with some clubs in Champions League and others in the new European Super League.

I think this format helps these kind of traditional teams more but it still doesn't do anything to help the smaller sides with 0 history close the gap on the big boys.

I actually prefer this format because at least you'd see the likes of PSV and Anderlecht, Red Star improve a bit - whatever happens though it will kill off their domestic leagues though, more than it has now.

I was responding to the claim that it wouldn’t replace the CL.

The masses were tricked into believing it wouldn’t be an open competition? Tell that to the U.K. government who also believed it would be a closed shop. Do you have a source for that?
Basically the government, FA, Uefa etc are happy with the status quo, why wouldn’t they be? They get a hefty cut for sticking their label on a competition

Neville and Carragher running a free-to-air segment in the sky studios trashing the Super League (bear in mind SKY feared a new popular challenge to the Prem) said it all.

The ESL format hasn’t changed. The original 12 signees are no different to the old big 5 who originally broke away from the football league in the early 90s. It was obvious that the ESL wanted/needed more clubs to be involved for it to work .

As a long time F1 fan, this to me is no different than when the teams (who consider themselves the main attraction), have a dispute with the FIA and the commercial rights holders.

Nobody is buying UEFA or FA merch. They buy the merch of the clubs. They pay to see clubs vs clubs, the best players completing…

View: https://x.com/SkySportsNews/status/1737785979279122481?s=20

The hypocrisy of these two Clubs is shameful. Between them they have single-handedly fucked La Liga, squeezing out every last drop of cash into their own pockets, making the league a two Club League. Reap what you sow.

Crazy isn't it. Monopolise the TV rights so your league becomes uncompetitive. Break the transfer record multiple times and pay crazy wages. Then claim we need a change as its unsustainable.

As far as I'm concerned barca and Madrid could go bust tomorrow and football would be a better place

Basically the government, FA, Uefa etc are happy with the status quo, why wouldn’t they be? They get a hefty cut for sticking their label on a competition

Neville and Carragher running a free-to-air segment in the sky studios trashing the Super League (bear in mind SKY feared a new popular challenge to the Prem) said it all.

The ESL format hasn’t changed. The original 12 signees are no different to the old big 5 who originally broke away from the football league in the early 90s. It was obvious that the ESL wanted/needed more clubs to be involved for it to work .

As a long time F1 fan, this to me is no different than when the teams (who consider themselves the main attraction), have a dispute with the FIA and the commercial rights holders.

Nobody is buying UEFA or FA merch. They buy the merch of the clubs. They pay to see clubs vs clubs, the best players completing…
The government doesn’t have their label on the game… they have an interest in a cultural phenomenon.

It’s true though that there are other groups with competing interests who have clear bias against the competition.

The kicker for me though is that UEFA has an interest in THE WHOLE GAME and reinvests 97% of its income into football across Europe at every level. This very small handful of clubs are acting in THEIR interests.

These big clubs are not special. If they went out of existence tomorrow then new clubs would pop up and take their place very quickly. It would be a shame to lose them because they have historical significance but they shouldn’t get ahead of themselves. The proof of this point is that Chelsea, Man City and PSG have become « major players » from historical mediocrity in a very small space of time. There’ll always be big clubs and just because the current ones are called Real Madrid and Barcelona, that doesn’t mean that they should have the rules of the game designed to protect their status.

It is a fact that big clubs apply pressure to entrench their position. It’s not enough that they are the biggest and richest - they want to change the rules of the game to make that last.

Bless your cottons for portraying this for something other than what it is.

The new format proposed is essentially a closed shop. 16 teams in each of the top 2 divisions, 32 teams in the third.

Relegation and promotion they say? LOL. Only one team is promoted from Blue to Gold, and Gold to Star. That means that a non-SL team in the Prem could win the PL and then has to win consecutive seasons in the SL just to compete with the founder members three years down the line. By that time the founders have been earning so much that they've probably bought all the good players from the PL winning side.

And how long would this last until the domestic leagues are fucked off entirely? I'd give it a decade at most.

It's a cunt league designed to enrich the richest and exclude everyone else.

Bless your cottons for portraying this for something other than what it is.

The new format proposed is essentially a closed shop. 16 teams in each of the top 2 divisions, 32 teams in the third.

Relegation and promotion they say? LOL. Only one team is promoted from Blue to Gold, and Gold to Star. That means that a non-SL team in the Prem could win the PL and then has to win consecutive seasons in the SL just to compete with the founder members three years down the line. By that time the founders have been earning so much that they've probably bought all the good players from the PL winning side.

And how long would this last until the domestic leagues are fucked off entirely? I'd give it a decade at most.

It's a cunt league designed to enrich the richest and exclude everyone else.
Yep obviously uefa and FIFA need to change how they are run but this super league won't lead to no good regarding the domestic leagues etc

Back
Top Bottom