Brennan Johnson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sometimes people get hung up in price tags.
Johnson cost 45 to get out of forest… if he cost 15 would we be criticising him for what he isn’t doing?
I don’t think so .
He has had a decent start coming into an unsettled club with a new manager etc. There are certain elements he can improve on but he is young so give him time.
How many of us here have changed jobs and came into an unsettled environment and not taken a while for things to settle down.
He will be fine…

If the only issue is his pressing and tracking back, that can be easily trained assuming that’s the role Ange wants him to play.

The raw speed he has been given is impossible to train and some of the more technical aspects of being a winger that he possesses are also difficult to train.

I do wonder if Ange doesn’t want him to track back but threaten a speedy counterattack move.

Once he’s developed a bit more belief in himself and toughens up a bit he’ll be quality. He’s already shown he’s got an eye for a cross and tons of pace. Once he’s sorted out whatever mental block he has around 50/50s and fully commits to them he’ll be flying.

If I were Ange, I’d be pushing Levy to do whatever he can to bring Bale down here for a few months in a coaching capacity to work with our wingers. The comparison is a bit lazy but the raw attributes are definitely there.

I think some of you are putting way too much stock in “assists” or “goal”, and completely ignoring what he does the rest of the time and what skill set he has as an overall package.

When he’s not got some clear space to run in a straight line - he’s virtually contributing nothing of note or quality. Even his work without the ball is sub standard.

If we are going to be an elite (top 4) team in this league we need players not only with more creative and productive quality but also players who contribute decent stuff when they aren’t creating or producing.

Huge waste of 50m IMO.

I was arguing thoroughly with Mick Cooper over Xmas period regarding Johnson. So for the last 2 games I tried to keep an eye on his movement and I have to agree with first part. I also admitted, that he has to be more involved in overall play, but these last 2 games have been like... REALLY poor from him.

It is okay if you don't score, it is okay if you don't assist. But it is NOT okay if you do not make an effort.

I obviously do not know what instructions Ange gave him. But against Brighton and also against Bournemouth - his pressing was not there, his tracking back - as someone painfully accurately mentioned - reminded of Ndombele. I mean... sprint after the opposition. Get close. Tackle. Put in your foot, foul them. Whatever. But don't give opposition free route to our side / our goal.

With all that I am not writing him off and I stand by what I said earlier. But he has to find some kind of aggression and passion inside himself.

It is a team-sport, Sonny on the right and Richie up top can run their lungs out. But if RW is open highway, the press does not work. I've been calling our side out for making it too comfortable for opposition teams before and I have to do it again. He has to make opposition fear HIM instead of being afraid of opposition himself.

So - to sum it up - more burning, more energy, more fight, more work Brennan. You can do better. You can improve!

I think some of you are putting way too much stock in “assists” or “goal”, and completely ignoring what he does the rest of the time and what skill set he has as an overall package.

When he’s not got some clear space to run in a straight line - he’s virtually contributing nothing of note or quality. Even his work without the ball is sub standard.

If we are going to be an elite (top 4) team in this league we need players not only with more creative and productive quality but also players who contribute decent stuff when they aren’t creating or producing.

Huge waste of 50m IMO.

I think you don’t have a foggiest idea what you’re banging on about and your stinking attitude to Kulusevski and Johnson makes me think you’re probably a West Ham fan.

You’re welcome.

:nunothumb:

Sometimes people get hung up in price tags.
Johnson cost 45 to get out of forest… if he cost 15 would we be criticising him for what he isn’t doing?
I don’t think so .
He has had a decent start coming into an unsettled club with a new manager etc. There are certain elements he can improve on but he is young so give him time.
How many of us here have changed jobs and came into an unsettled environment and not taken a while for things to settle down.
He will be fine…

Good post

I think you don’t have a foggiest idea what you’re banging on about and your stinking attitude to Kulusevski and Johnson makes me think you’re probably a West Ham fan.

You’re welcome.

And your attitude and level of fucking ignorance makes me think you are a junior West Ham fan.

What have I told you about knowing your fucking self.

And your attitude and level of fucking ignorance makes me think you are a toddlers West Ham fan.

What have I told you about keeping quiet?!

And your attitude and level of ignorance makes me think you’re a Fanny fart minge bubble from the embryo being carried in the womb of a West Ham supporting slag who got pregnant from being shagged in the toilets at the London Stadium by Danny Dier.

KYFS.

The raw speed he has been given is impossible to train and some of the more technical aspects of being a winger that he possesses are also difficult to train.
yep... its also impossible to get someone whos meek to actually show some bollox. thats what holds him back. if he had a 10th of romeros aggression and hunger to win a game then yea, hed be decent.

Back
Top Bottom