Brennan Johnson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't for a moment think Ange scouted him etc. I'm sure what happens in the current set up is the club and Ange decide what positions they prioritise, scout and analyse a bunch of players, then imagine go back to Ange with a list and then choose an order based on quality and price. I just remember Ange talking very effusively about the Johnson signing and 50m isn't peanuts, I'm pretty sure Levy would have been happier spending less, lower down the list (there were certainly loads of better options cheaper than the 50m we spunked on Johnson).
I have no doubt Ange said "fine with me"...but talking effusively means nothing...that's toeing the company line. This deal has been in the works for over a year...DL deals with the clubs and agents he knows...more than enough evidence to support that.

And Levy knew before this summer what it was going to cost to prize the player away...his first point of contact was the agent no doubt. Ange is just playing politician which is part of his job...to lie and toe the company line. Why do people find this hard to believe that the words coming out of a person's mouth might be colored by the desires of the entity that employs/pays them?

And you say this...

I'm sure what happens in the current set up is the club and Ange decide what positions they prioritise, scout and analyse a bunch of players, then imagine go back to Ange with a list and then choose an order based on quality and price.
...but Ange also wanted another CB...but we got BJ instead...you know why? Because he had to get gone due to contract...this deal was in the works and going to happen IRRESPECTIVE of who the coach was.

Though you've moderated some, you always argue this side...

Either way. Johnson should not have been on any fucking list IMO. Just a very one dimensional player.
Said it in the summer when he was mentioned. Ridiculous xfer for a ridiculous amount of (more-finished player) money. If we were replete and it was a 20M deal I'd say "sure, why not but he doesn't seem to have much beyond speed". But we aren't replete and he was 50M...

The bonus at least is that we can put him and Kulu on opposite wings...

but I don't hate him...just think we've gone Jack Clarke again but for 50M.

Also, do you think Conte ok'd Gil? See, this is how things work.

I have no doubt Ange said "fine with me"...but talking effusively means nothing...that's toeing the company line. This deal has been in the works for over a year...DL deals with the clubs and agents he knows...more than enough evidence to support that.

And Levy knew before this summer what it was going to cost to prize the player away...his first point of contact was the agent no doubt. Ange is just playing politician which is part of his job...to lie and toe the company line. Why do people find this hard to believe that the words coming out of a person's mouth might be colored by the desires of the entity that employs/pays them?

Most people understand employees getting paid millions towing the party line.

And you say this...

...but Ange also wanted another CB...but we got BJ instead...you know why? Because he had to get gone due to contract...this deal was in the works and going to happen IRRESPECTIVE of who the coach was.

Though you've moderated some, you always argue this side...

I just don't believe Levy would happily spend 50m on a player that nobody at the club wanted - ie scouts, analysts or Ange - just to stay chums with some agents he likes. I think one of the reasons this deal ended up getting done because Ange did quite like the notion and he was HG. If I'm wrong I'll hold my hand up.
If someone proves this to be the case then I'll be fully Team T.

Said it in the summer when he was mentioned. Ridiculous xfer for a ridiculous amount of (more-finished player) money. If we were replete and it was a 20M deal I'd say "sure, why not but he doesn't seem to have much beyond speed". But we aren't replete and he was 50M...

Said the same.

The bonus at least is that we can put him and Kulu on opposite wings...

disgusted married with children GIF

Also, do you think Conte ok'd Gil?

I hope not. I hope Levy scouted and signed every player Conte specifically said he didn't want.

You just know James maddison will make him look twice the player
Think the lack of killer creativity is working against him right now and I think he will end up a good buy

But id like to see more off the ball effort

Most people understand employees getting paid millions towing the party line.
Yet everyone keeps mentioning what Ange had to say about matters...as if it has probative value...

I just don't believe Levy would happily spend 50m on a player that nobody at the club wanted - ie scouts, analysts or Ange - just to stay chums with some agents he likes.
Neither do I...nor have I suggested such. What I did say was the club (Levy + scouts and analysts) were gonna do this and Ange got on board....and prolly said "Sure, mate, knock yourselves out".

I think one of the reasons this deal ended up getting done because Ange did quite like the notion and he was HG.
And yet you've started off your post talking about understanding "towing [sic] the party line" but conveniently forget it here. Do you honestly believe Ange was 'free' to give his honest opinion that early in his tenure? C'mon man! And I'm sure DL said "yeah, we gotta do this bc we need HG players"...of course it was part of the calculus.

If I'm wrong I'll hold my hand up.
NO YOU FUCKING WON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never has a more untrue sentence been written/spoken/etc on this board. We've been having this convo going back to Poch and Sissoko and every players since. No matter the proof you always find yourself back in this corner.

Yeah, my point exactly!

I hope not. I hope Levy scouted and signed every player Conte specifically said he didn't want.
Yet here he is! Doing what he does for 25M + Lamela. More evidence for the prosecution.

Loads of words above this post that nobody is going to read.

Basics:

Son, Richy, Brennan is our current first-choice front 3 and it usually involves goals for Son and Richy, with an assist from Brennan to one or the other. All 3 sprint and press when they don't have the ball and have a growing understanding when they do

That's what you want.

Brennan can do better. He will do better.

Enjoy your lunch.

Yet everyone keeps mentioning what Ange had to say about matters...as if it has probative value...

One always has to be mindful of one's employers, especially the ones that pay you a fuck ton of money. That's just normal. But it's not always the case that everything you say is the company speaking. Managers do also speak for themselves. Some times they do like a signing the club makes. I doubt Ange has ever spent 50m before. He might have actually wanted Johnson.

Also, there's an element of this whole scenario playing out at most clubs - your schtick is that Levy is is someone kind of unique uber cunt. When the truth is more likely to be he's just somewhere in the middle of the cuntometre.

Neither do I...nor have I suggested such. What I did say was the club (Levy + scouts and analysts) were gonna do this and Ange got on board....and prolly said "Sure, mate, knock yourselves out".

OK, but again, this is a pretty standard industry model. My main grumble the last few years has been the incompetence of those involved in the process - not so much the process.

I don't even believe clubs shouldn't ever sign players without the manager's approval. If the process and the other people involved in it are good - I trust them more than managers in some cases.

NO YOU FUCKING WON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never has a more untrue sentence been written/spoken/etc on this board. We've been having this convo going back to Poch and Sissoko and every players since. No matter the proof you always find yourself back in this corner.

And I think you are still wrong. When I'm proved wrong I will accept it. My argument isn't that Poch wouldn't have preferred Wyjnaldum - I'm sure he would - but he knew Sissoko was the next on the list and OK'd it. This is happening at most clubs. many on the continent don't even give the manager that. And by the time Sissoko and the other gash was being signed Poch was having a bigger say in transfers than ever. You've also been shown proof of this.

Again, my issue is why Sissoko was even on thefucking list - not that we had a list and Poch got shafted with his 2nd, 3rd tier choice. My argument was that Levy didn't scout and force players on Poch that he said he didn't want. What fucked me off was his incompetence at putting together a structure that was compiling shit fucking lists - and I'm pretty sure Poch was having quite a big part in that structure - there were various reports of him changing from Head Coach to "manager" and part of the transfer committee.

One always has to be mindful of one's employers, especially the ones that pay you a fuck ton of money.
No, a person living on the margins making 40K needs to focus a bit more than someone making a couple mill, BC. But it's prudent for the other guy too.

But it's not always the case that everything you say is the company speaking.
No one said it was and NOW we've moved into the BC-realm of BSing around the margins of an argument so he's NEVER wrong...taking issue with "always" and "never" etc A)as if anyone's ever said that and B) as if something is 99.9% happens if that 0.01% times it doesn't proves it wrong. FFS BC!!!!

And I think you are still wrong
Convenient isn't it?

When I'm proved wrong I will accept it.
:harrylol:WHICH YOU NEVER ARE NO MATTER THE PROOF BECAUSE YOU MOVE THE BAR AS YOU SEE FIT AND JUST LIKE THAT YOU ARE NEVER WRONG! Convenient that.

Last post you literally started by saying toeing the line was and obvious thing and in your NEXT fucking paragraph you just disregard it like it's not. FFS!

I'm out, BC. Length of argument =/= winning an argument.

No, a person living on the margins making 40K needs to focus a bit more than someone making a couple mill, BC. But it's prudent for the other guy too.

No one said it was and NOW we've moved into the BC-realm of BSing around the margins of an argument so he's NEVER wrong...taking issue with "always" and "never" etc A)as if anyone's ever said that and B) as if something is 99.9% happens if that 0.01% times it doesn't proves it wrong. FFS BC!!!!

Convenient isn't it?

:harrylol:WHICH YOU NEVER ARE NO MATTER THE PROOF BECAUSE YOU MOVE THE BAR AS YOU SEE FIT AND JUST LIKE THAT YOU ARE NEVER WRONG! Convenient that.

Last post you literally started by saying toeing the line was and obvious thing and in your NEXT fucking paragraph you just disregard it like it's not. FFS!

I'm out, BC. Length of argument =/= winning an argument.

monty python kick GIF

Okay mixed bag again tonight but, Another assist.
He’s get when he’s in plenty of space but too afraid of getting hurt when opponents are near. Wales has very few players from the Premier League but he’s not a first team ‘must pick’ yet .There is a reason for that.

He is the type of winger Postecoglou has favoured in the past- quick, goes on the outside and plays the cut back pass across the face of goal for the striker or other winger to get on the end of to shoot on an open goal.

Off the top of my head I can recall around half a dozen such balls, and had Son and Richarlson not miss-kicked or gone early then he'd have around half a dozen assists.
He's also expected to score few himself and with a bit more composure could have had an additional couple of goals to his name.

Yes I know could'ves and should''ves but his a young lad at a new club under a new manager playing under a new system. Patience, he'll get better.

You just know James maddison will make him look twice the player
Think the lack of killer creativity is working against him right now and I think he will end up a good buy

But id like to see more off the ball effort

Yeah I agree. Sooner or later that huge hole in front of Porro is going to get noticed by an opposing manager and we will be made to pay for it. Porro is left 2 v 1 multiple times a game. Johnson never comes back to help him which makes me think it has to be a tactical decision because the player can’t be defying the manager as often as it happens. Maybe the midfield is expected to come across and help and johnson stay high and wide as an out ball to break.

Wow, no way!!!! That's almost just like every other coach/mgr I mentioned did...that's crazy!

So I ask you, you move to a new job, most prestigious and best paying job you've ever and a probably will ever have, and the muckety-mucks say "Hey person who is fortunate to be here, we've been tracking this kid for a couple seasons now and are really intent to make this happen...so whaddya think? You on board?"

What are you gonna say? And more importantly, what are you gonna do? You gonna interview him, toe the company line, and tell the kid he's gonna be a star or are you gonna tell folks to go fuck themselves?

And every year and every new coach we've had (including Poch) has said the same thing...these are not their players, they are the clubs choices. Conte just erupted over it. How can you not see it? And why would you gag and swallow club PR so easily?

Or should we just assume that every coach that comes (and this is our 4th since Poch) just happens to ALSO be interested in the EXACT player that is within 18months on his contract AND the club has been following for a couple seasons AND has agents in common with someone we have here already?

My goodness gracious...

He pulled out of managing Australia at the 2018 WC after the Australian FA CEO forced him to read a prepared statement apologizing to the sponsors. He is a proud man and is also his own man. Brennan would not be here if he didn't want him. To be honest Brennan fits the type of winger Postecoglou has gone for more than Kulusevski, definately surprised me when he Kulusevski was kept on.

He is the type of winger Postecoglou has favoured in the past- quick, goes on the outside and plays the cut back pass across the face of goal for the striker or other winger to get on the end of to shoot on an open goal.

Off the top of my head I can recall around half a dozen such balls, and had Son and Richarlson not miss-kicked or gone early then he'd have around half a dozen assists.
He's also expected to score few himself and with a bit more composure could have had an additional couple of goals to his name.

Yes I know could'ves and should''ves but his a young lad at a new club under a new manager playing under a new system. Patience, he'll get better.
Agreed on all this. One of Ange's first signings at Celtic was a very similar profile, Liel Abada. Only difference is Abada found his shooting boots from the off, while Johnson still needs a couple to get him going.

Also agree with Brian Fantana Brian Fantana though that I'd like to see some more off the ball effort from him though, that tracking back side of his game is still lacking.

Wow, no way!!!! That's almost just like every other coach/mgr I mentioned did...that's crazy!

So I ask you, you move to a new job, most prestigious and best paying job you've ever and a probably will ever have, and the muckety-mucks say "Hey person who is fortunate to be here, we've been tracking this kid for a couple seasons now and are really intent to make this happen...so whaddya think? You on board?"

What are you gonna say? And more importantly, what are you gonna do? You gonna interview him, toe the company line, and tell the kid he's gonna be a star or are you gonna tell folks to go fuck themselves?
I don’t mean to get in between of your and bus-conductor bus-conductor SeeYouNextTuesday-off, but Ange has only one way of playing which he’s done over multiple clubs. There is no Plan B. Therefore even if Johnson was “a club signing“, do you think Ange wouldn’t have objected?

In my estimation he would have said “this player doesn’t fit my system, there is no point proceeding, what I want is blah-blah-blah”.

if you think that Ange is a shrinking violet, I’m not sure you have studied Ange’s history in management very well. Worth checking an interview with Craig Foster if you havent already done so.

And every year and every new coach we've had (including Poch) has said the same thing...these are not their players, they are the clubs choices. Conte just erupted over it. How can you not see it? And why would you gag and swallow club PR so easily?
I stand to be corrected, but I’m pretty sure Conte only called Spence a club signing. Therefore the rest were his. Mourinho didnt say any of the players were club signings as far as I recall.

Also Conte didn’t erupt at the signing of Spence, he erupted at the players for being shit and basically blamed everyone else including club management for the failure of his system to work in the current environment, whereas football had moved on. What is really funny is Ange has got a tune out of the largely the same group of players playing attacking, attractive football. What a goose!

Back
Top Bottom