Come here to laugh at the Fascist, Failing Chavs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With 12 players on contracts of eight years or more, the amortisation trick looks increasingly like an albatross.

This is a club in a terrible mess and the only people who can really be blamed are the disruptive new owners.

What a lovely end to that article

But if he's on gardening leave, his contract is still live and has to be paid for the agreed period. They would be paying that and the new managers salary, which would all be taken into account with FFP.

It would be tight but in practical terms no less do-able than the 100m-ish they already have to find before 30th June........ Wage of a decent manager for 5 months (7m maybe?) isn't gonna make a bad situ much worse.

Outright sacking Poch would mean still needing to pay a new guy + adding Poch's whole pay-off to the FFP problem.

Last edited:
It would be tight but in practical terms no less doable that the 100m-ish they already have to find before 30th June........ Wage of a decent manager for 5 months (7m maybe?) isn't gonna make a bad situ much worse.

Outright sacking Poch would mean still need to paying a new guy + adding Poch's whole pay-off to the FFP problem.
They wouldn't be able to put Poch on gardening leave and then hire someone straight away. You can only put them on gardening leave if it is with good reason, and usually only last for the notice period in his contract.
Many contracts don't allow gardening leave, and in the case of Poch, he would look for a new job straight away and wouldn't be able to do so whilst still employed by Chelsea.
That would then mean it is not in everyone's interest to put him on gardening leave.

I'm sure if it was possible, they would have done this by now as we know how devious they are.

They wouldn't be able to put Poch on gardening leave and then hire someone straight away. You can only put them on gardening leave if it is with good reason, and usually only last for the notice period in his contract.

Reason: Under-performing... Easy.

Bayern just did this to Naglesman despite them still going well.

Many contracts don't allow gardening leave, and in the case of Poch, he would look for a new job straight away and wouldn't be able to do so whilst still employed by Chelsea.

If Poch carves himself a new job in the meantime then that most likely gets the chavs off the hook......... Bit like when we sacked him; we only had to pay him until he took on a new job..... I'd suspect that is a pretty standard agreement.

Besides they only need to manage any further expenses that relate to this season... If they sack him after 01/07/24 then any pay-off falls into the next FFP period anway.

Reason: Under-performing... Easy.

Bayern just did this to Naglesman despite them still going well.

If Poch carves himself a new job in the meantime then that most likely gets the chavs off the hook......... Bit like when we sacked him; we only had to pay him until he took on a new job..... I'd suspect that is a pretty standard agreement.

Besides they only need to manage any further expenses that relate to this season... If they sack him after 01/07/24 then any pay-off falls into the next FFP period anway.
Doesn't quite work like that. Under performing is not a reason to put someone on gardening leave. They would have to put measures in place to help him improve. GL is a form of suspension and should only be used if the employee was a threat to private information.
If they employ a new manager then they are effectively sacking him as he couldn't return to his role.
They could only put him on GL for his notice period and then would either have to give him his job back or sack him.

Like I said, premier league managers have complex contracts and I doubt if there is one that would allow to go on GL.
There is zero chance of Poch being put on GL whilst they replace him.

They have 2 options, stick or twist.
Keep him or sack him.

But if he's on gardening leave, his contract is still live and has to be paid for the agreed period. They would be paying that and the new managers salary, which would all be taken into account with FFP.
If they've got Potter on gardening leave as well, that'd be 3 wages they're paying.

Chelsea stockpiling managers now?

Doesn't quite work like that. Under performing is not a reason to put someone on gardening leave. They would have to put measures in place to help him improve. GL is a form of suspension and should only be used if the employee was a threat to private information.
If they employ a new manager then they are effectively sacking him as he couldn't return to his role.
They could only put him on GL for his notice period and then would either have to give him his job back or sack him.

As I said; Bayern literally just did this though.

(I take your point about GL in relation to more typical workplace scenarios; but clearly some of it doesn't translate to the wacky world of football.)

It's even worse than it looks

Potter had no pre-season
Had to take over after Tuchel had made a ricket of the first 6
Potter also had Champs League, 2 games a week

Poch had a pre-season
no Europe

Very relieved they fired Potter; he would have turned them round given time, in fact looked like he had. They absolutely battered Villa and only crap finishing meant they didn't win 3-0

Potter wasn't turning anything around, he just didn't fit the profile of that club, no one respected him, not the fans, the media, the players.

Chelsea will always be a club built on unsustainable success so they will win with high profile coaches, that's the entire fabric of their of their club.

Should have kept Tuchel in that regard because I don't know who the fuck they're gonna hire after Poch.

Back
Top Bottom