Winter 2013/14 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tell me, how long did it take Bale to gel?

Difference being that we didnt buy Bale to secure our target of CL football. A target we have failed to achieve for three seasons on the spin now, and need to push on with our stadium, and growth.

Bale was a spotty 17yr old kid with bags of potential, and we were absolutely fucking doolally about the possibility of playing in the UEFA Cup.

I dont think we can afford to take our spending to the 130M mark this season, for players that will not get us to our targets. If Shaw is bought in, it will be as first choice LB. Bale was for the future.

The worring thing is, that its Levy's and Baldini's call, but its AVBs head on the block come May.

Difference being that we didnt buy Bale to secure our target of CL football. A target we have failed to achieve for three seasons on the spin now, and need to push on with our stadium, and growth.

Bale was a spotty 17yr old kid with bags of potential, and we were absolutely fucking doolally about the possibility of playing in the UEFA Cup.

I dont think we can afford to take our spending to the 130M mark this season, for players that will not get us to our targets. If Shaw is bought in, it will be as first choice LB. Bale was for the future.

The worring thing is, that its Levy's and Baldini's call, but its AVBs head on the block come May.
Could you not argue that at the age of 18, Shaw has already proved his potential, and would be in the starting XI of all PL sides? 20m for a 18 year old who has already proved his potential, in a spot where he's sorely needed. If the bid is true, I wouldn't hold it against the board.

Give what a rest....see how the guy above your post answered? No crying or tantrums....have you ever wondered whether its you with the problem? I conversate just fine with alot of people around here...funny how your fat ginger spunk bubble of a mate has now put me on his follower list so he can just log in and dislike my posts...tell him to give a rest instead yeah...

:sandro:

wind-up-teeth.jpg

Could you not argue that at the age of 18, Shaw has already proved his potential, and would be in the starting XI of all PL sides? 20m for a 18 year old who has already proved his potential, in a spot where he's sorely needed. If the bid is true, I wouldn't hold it against the board.
Our club does not trade in recognised talent. It trades in potential being realised. Going in for Shaw now makes perfect sense. Just as it did with Eriksen, Chiriches, Lamela, Capoue, Holtby... and before them Vertonghen, Sandro, Modric, Berbatov....

Only a moron would moan about buying players that arent fully realised and people expecting a period of adjustment while they settle/develop.

But thats the sort of pressure that demands results...you say he has already proved himself and would start in any PL side.

Then I have the right to expect an instant impact without people talking about how young he is and how he will need a whole year to gel, surely?

And as I said, if he doesnt settle well, its 20M when we have 3 LBs...our best one sent out for whatever reasons. The whole thing smacks of desperation, and our biggest problem is getting the midfield to pass to our strikers.

Shaw will not change that.

Give what a rest....see how the guy above your post answered? No crying or tantrums....have you ever wondered whether its you with the problem? I conversate just fine with alot of people around here...funny how your fat ginger spunk bubble of a mate has now put me on his follower list so he can just log in and dislike my posts...tell him to give a rest instead yeah...

:sandro:

I think you'll find I do too Samuel. And with you to boot. Don't think you'll find one post where I've thrown a tantrum on here.
You seem to have latched onto this gelling argument as your main gripe and so bring it up in every thread on some sort of crusade to prove everyone who disagrees with you as a hypocrite. Perhaps some of us are just reading it in a more negative internal voice because of the personality you've adopted on here, but often you do come across as needlessly aggressive and/or flippant.

You're entitled to your opinion of course. I prefer debate to dull consensus. Doesn't mean you have to ram it down our throats every time we log in and read a thread. Any thread.

I assume you're referring to @ Smoked Salmon Smoked Salmon with your other point. No idea why he's decided to neg your every post to be honest. I don't condone that at all but You'll have to take that up with him.

That's the last I'll say on the matter as don't want this to turn into another sammy vs the world situation.

Peace and love Samuel. Peace and love.

:adebaehug:

You seem to have latched onto this gelling argument as your main gripe and so bring it up in every thread on some sort of crusade to prove everyone who disagrees with you as a hypocrite.

I think the fact you deliberately tagged salmon, to attract him to this is quiet telling to be fair mate...

And how can that be the case (the quoted part) when I have stated several times, in no uncertain terms that I am fully behind our sigings and think we are a much stronger squad than last season.

Of course players need to settle, but the fact is, we didnt spend 110M to get in the CL in 2015.

Levy and AVB, and the players themselves know exactly what is expected of them...they've banged on about it enough....and I bring up the gelling point so often, because one minute the consensus is that we should be happy with top 10 and a cup, and we shouldnt expect to see any results from this team for at least a year...

...and in the next breath, we should go and spunk more money at Christmas on x,y and z....and bring back Berbatov!??

And then they defend the manic rotation, and forget all about gelling.

How will Naughton gel if we sign Shaw....? Funny how people dont think Naughton deserves to gel....naaah, he's just "shit"....now we've decided Rose is a crack head, and Dawson should never play for us again. Why cant Dawson have gelling time with Vlad....?

Sick of all this erratic thinking.

Last edited:
But thats the sort of pressure that demands results...you say he has already proved himself and would start in any PL side.

Then I have the right to expect an instant impact without people talking about how young he is and how he will need a whole year to gel, surely?

And as I said, if he doesnt settle well, its 20M when we have 3 LBs...our best one sent out for whatever reasons. The whole thing smacks of desperation, and our biggest problem is getting the midfield to pass to our strikers.

Shaw will not change that.
I admit, I would be dissapointed if Shaw needed long to gel, given his PL experience. I hold out much more patience with the likes of Lamela and Eriksen

I admit, I would be dissapointed if Shaw needed long to gel, given his PL experience. I hold out much more patience with the likes of Lamela and Eriksen

i wouldnt get your hopes up on shaw, man UTD and chelsea are both keen and both need a LB badly...southhampton have also said they wont be selling him in january (i would asssume barring a stupid offer)

Rose's injury has unbalanced us. I love Dawson but appreciate his limitations, with Shaw in, Vertonghen moves to centre half, that is a massive difference, and could, conceivably have a dramatic affect on our results.7

There are, of course the occasional 'if' and 'but' in there but I honestly think Rose's inclusion in the team was crucial to how AVB had planned to play this season (and probably a little short sighted to assume he would remain a) fit and b) any good.)

Back
Top Bottom