Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would be another one to add to the ever growing list of clubs who've won a major trophy since our pathetic, single league cup some 16 years ago.
If we forget the usual oil dosh suspects of City and Chelsea since our last trophy that would be......

Man Utd x10, Liverpool x6, Woolwich x4, Leicester x2, Portsmouth, Wigan, Birmingham, Swansea, West Ham

I'm not a trophy hound that thinks everything will be fine if we just win a league cup but it has to be said that is shocking.

If we forget the usual oil dosh suspects of City and Chelsea since our last trophy that would be......

Man Utd x10, Liverpool x6, Woolwich x4, Leicester x2, Portsmouth, Wigan, Birmingham, Swansea, West Ham

I'm not a trophy hound that thinks everything will be fine if we just win a league cup but it has to be said that is shocking.

Let’s be clear. Winning trophies is not very easy. In fact some might say it’s quite hard. Based on the past 15 year period you’d have to agree.

But tellingly in 15 years we have lost 4 finals, 6 semi finals and never actually been further than the QF of the Europa league - once!

Whereas United have won ten trophies. We’ve only been in four finals and I guess we finished second in the league-once!

And City have won how many trophies in the Pep years???? We are nowhere near their level.

Maybe we just aren’t that good!!!

We do have a bloody nice stadium though.
Swings and roundabouts in life.
You have to take the rough with the smooth.
you.

View: https://x.com/thespursexpress/status/1781193424143864286?s=46&t=DK3x3JffKkqwqcsQdIeO_A

Noises like this coming out of the club?

Are they taking the piss?

Trying to manage expectations when you charge the highest season ticket prices in the country and have the highest paid Chairman in the country…

When they release stuff like this through trusted media you just know they are terrified of fans actually expecting them to be really ambitious….

Ange literally came out and said this?

View: https://x.com/thespursexpress/status/1781193424143864286?s=46&t=DK3x3JffKkqwqcsQdIeO_A

Noises like this coming out of the club?

Are they taking the piss?

Trying to manage expectations when you charge the highest season ticket prices in the country and have the highest paid Chairman in the country…

When they release stuff like this through trusted media you just know they are terrified of fans actually expecting them to be really ambitious….

Genuinely have to wonder whether the "group" has a brain cell to share between them at times...
Scraped past Luton, Brentford, Brighton, etc at home in recent months, doubled by Wolves this season, absolutely humped without even consolation at Fulham and Newcastle...

"Right lads, I think it's time we tested ourselves at the highest level then!"

:royaltongue:

Genuinely have to wonder whether the "group" has a brain cell to share between them at times...
Scraped past Luton, Brentford, Brighton, etc at home in recent months, doubled by Wolves this season, absolutely humped without even consolation at Fulham and Newcastle...

"Right lads, I think it's time we tested ourselves at the highest level then!"

:royaltongue:

So about as consistent as Villa then.

So about as consistent as Villa then.
I don't think they have any business pretending they're going to trouble the top table either tbh...

It's one thing to say we want to be in CL, obviously it's the biggest competition, and there's always plenty of dross in there anyway so we might as well make up the numbers as anyone, it just sounds a lot more pretentious phrasing it as "test themselves at the highest level".

It gives the impression that they're convinced that they belong amongst the Madrid's and Munich's and want to prove it, which I'd have a lot more time for if they were actually brushing aside the level of opponent they're currently facing.

I don't think they have any business pretending they're going to trouble the top table either tbh...

It's one thing to say we want to be in CL, obviously it's the biggest competition, and there's always plenty of dross in there anyway so we might as well make up the numbers as anyone, it just sounds a lot more pretentious phrasing it as "test themselves at the highest level".

It gives the impression that they're convinced that they belong amongst the Madrid's and Munich's and want to prove it, which I'd have a lot more time for if they were actually brushing aside the level of opponent they're currently facing.

90% of games the premier league is a higher level than the Champions League

I don't read it like that at all. I just think every player simply wants to play in the CL.

Why be in this sport if you don't want to test yourself at the highest level?

I don't see a problem with the club aiming for CL football providing they release the funds so we can compete in it.

As an aside I find the insistence that we're currently not good enough to play in the competition a bit funny when we have a whole summer to improve and would have by then completed a season under this manager.

I don't read it like that at all. I just think every player simply wants to play in the CL.

Why be in this sport if you don't want to test yourself at the highest level?
Of course, I just think it's one thing to want it, but someone has briefed this to the press, and I don't think that right after a 4-0 defeat to a depleted Newcastle, and after a run of unconvincing performances, is the time to be suggesting this group of players belongs at the highest level.

Prove yourself too good for your current level before talking about the level above, whatever your internal wants and wishes.

Back
Top Bottom