Winter 2013/14 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Because Bale showed those attributes when he first joined Spurs, right?

It's the same argument as Moyes for Fergurson at Manchester United, because Bale became a world beater after a crap start we hope Lamela will too, I think we all hope and pray he does, he just needs games, because he hasn't shown us much as yet

I really don't think Lamela has got a Balesque season in him. When I look at the pace, power and technique of Bale, it's so way ahead of Lamela, I can't ever see him matching those heights. I can't really think who Lamela reminds me of, in Spurs past players, but he sure don't remind me of Bale.

If we swapped him for a quality striker, either directly or indirectly, and took a hit on the money, that would be fine by me. We need a striker, not the current Lamela, ATM.
Sorry bud, but Lamela's technique is better than Bale's, even now. Can't disagree with pace and power though. But that can be attributed to the coaching he received here, the same coaching Erik will receive.

It's the same argument as Moyes for Fergurson at Manchester United, because Bale became a world beater after a crap start we hope Lamela will too, I think we all hope and pray he does, he just needs games, because he hasn't shown us much as yet

My point is neither did Bale - he was crap when he first joined spurs - remember, we nearly shipped Bale of to Forest or Birmingham.

You might be lucky to have a player as good as Bale once in a generation, it just so happens that with Messi and Ronaldo we are seeing a golden era for global football - for some people to compare a 21(?) year old to Bale is bordering on the insane and is so laughable as to be treated as the ramblings of a mentalist.

Compare Bale when he first joined us to Lamela is fair - but you can't compare the Bale we sold to the Lamela of now.

Give him time, give him opportunity, let him live or die by his own god given talents - then judge him.

We're too quick to throw talent on the scrapheap, take a step back and if (and I hope he is) Lamela is with us in 18-24 months time then judge him.

I really don't think Lamela has got a Balesque season in him. When I look at the pace, power and technique of Bale, it's so way ahead of Lamela, I can't ever see him matching those heights. I can't really think who Lamela reminds me of, in Spurs past players, but he sure don't remind me of Bale.

If we swapped him for a quality striker, either directly or indirectly, and took a hit on the money, that would be fine by me. We need a striker, not the current Lamela, ATM.

Give me the name of this mythical striker and I might take your point half seriously.

Sorry bud, but Lamela's technique is better than Bale's, even now. Can't disagree with pace and power though. But that can be attributed to the coaching he received here, the same coaching Erik will receive.

Bale's pace and power are very much due to inherent physical attributes that can not be coached, Bale is just an incredible specimen of the human species. It comes down to genetics.

Bale's pace and power are very much due to inherent physical attributes that can not be coached, Bale is just an incredible specimen of the human species. It comes down to genetics.
Exactly, Bale like Ronaldo is a physical 'superfootballer'.

Messi, maybe, is a bit more akin to Lamela, but of course he's a football genius, which Lamela isn't.

As I say I can't think of a Spurs player that Lamela reminds me of. A smidgen of White, a touch of Hoddle, but I can't place him at all in our hierarchy. I guess if he does make it, he will be a 'Lamela', but I suspect if he does, I'll see something of a Spurs great in him, just can't see it ATM.

Maybe, just maybe, a 'new Waddle', but of course a loooooooooong way to go.

Can I do a half agree? I think Lamela has more natural talent than Bale, and think he could bulk up and get a bit speedier but he won't come near Bale's level of physicality.

Sorry bud, but it isn't.

I can never see Lamela matching Bale's levels of performance.
Fine, man. You're wrong but fine. Most of Argentina's best prospects, especially out of the River Plate school are technically sound. It's an inherent South American attribute and the reason why they don't suffer nationally. Bale's technique isn't that great now. As shown when seeing him next to a Di Maria or an Isco. His attributes lie elsewhere, and they are what make him great. But I'm not having that Bale is better technically than Lamela. Because he simply isn't. An instance in a Spurs shirt being his run for the penalty against Sheriff, all technique, Bale wouldn't have been able to do something like that, nor would he try.

Sorry bud, but it isn't.

I can never see Lamela matching Bale's levels of performance.

I see your point, but you have to allow Lamela to grow more physically before you can make that statement really, I'd say Lamela is very similar to Ronaldo, and if he bulks up a bit he could be just as good if not better (as I believe he is smarter). Just like you wouldnt compare Bale to Messi, due to their very different styles of play and physical attributes, I wouldnt compare Bale and Lamela. Lamela has better close control than Bale IMO, just look at his solo raids, how he (like messi) just seem to have the ball glued to his feet as he takes on 3 defenders standing in a tight huddle.

Fine man, you're wrong but fine. :thumbup:

When Lamela can cross and shoot like Bale, when he can nutmeg and showboat for fun like Bale, then maybe his technique will match Bale's. Have you seen the technique that Bale displayed in his free kicks for us?

Not entirely, it comes down to hard work mostly take Ronaldo for example who was this skinny guy during his early united years but then went out and worked his ass off and got bulked and worked even more on his technique which allowed him to become a world beater.

Fine man, you're wrong but fine. :thumbup:

When Lamela can cross and shoot like Bale, when he can nutmeg and showboat for fun like Bale, then maybe his technique will match Bale's. Have you seen the technique that Bale displayed in his free kicks for us?
I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

''When he can nutmeg and showboat for fun like Bale'' - two issues with this. Bale was and isn't the showboating type and you've just shown yourself up as not having watched much of Lamela, because he did that in his sleep at Roma.

Not entirely, it comes down to hard work mostly take Ronaldo for example who was this skinny guy during his early united years but then went out and worked his ass off and took steroids and got bulked and worked even more on his technique which allowed him to become a world beater.
fixed :)

Back
Top Bottom