The Mighty Spurs - Swansea of Wales

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think what also matters is that our football has improved overall, as has alot of individual performances.
Also going from the worst to the best conversion rate in the PL, taking our GD out of the minus.

Just winning has never been "everything" to me.

Yeah but playing mint and losing is still shit.

Winning isn't everything but I would take a scrappy 1-0 over a 1-0 loss whilst playing like Barca. Though I am sure all football fans would say they want to win with style. its a no brainer.

Tactics are still a little suspect to me. But we shall see. Didn't want 4-4-2 but seems to work. I won't judge until the end of the season.

Yeah but playing mint and losing is still shit.

Winning isn't everything but I would take a scrappy 1-0 over a 1-0 loss whilst playing like Barca. Though I am sure all football fans would say they want to win with style. its a no brainer.

Tactics are still a little suspect to me. But we shall see. Didn't want 4-4-2 but seems to work. I won't judge until the end of the season.

He's doing alright for someone who has only ever managed 7 games in his life....he is learning too, and what I like about him is that he is having success with something he knows (and making good a decimated squad) as opposed to trying to be something he is not.

For all the last manager's hype as a new modern football intellect, what has he achieved since winning trophies in a two team league with a team he didnt assemble?

I said it under AVB, and I stick to it. But Id rather be entertained in the 3rd division, than win games playing like we did at the start of the season. I didnt recognize us, and winning games did'nt help.

We are far from perfect, but I enjoy the games again, and we look like a Spurs team.

When he has a full squad, then we can see if he has more tactics in his locker. He cant play advanced formations with half the midfield out injured.

The difference with AVB was that he didnt utilise the squad with our injuries. He just stuck to his formation and gameplan, and it didnt matter to him if the players couldnt play there. Pefect example was putting Holtby up against Yaya Toure.

He's doing alright for someone who has only ever managed 7 games in his life....he is learning too, and what I like about him is that he is having success with something he knows (and making good a decimated squad) as opposed to trying to be something he is not.

For all the last manager's hype as a new modern football intellect, what has he achieved since winning trophies in a two team league with a team he didnt assemble?

I said it under AVB, and I stick to it. But Id rather be entertained in the 3rd division, than win games playing like we did at the start of the season. I didnt recognize us, and winning games did'nt help.

We are far from perfect, but I enjoy the games again, and we look like a Spurs team.

When he has a full squad, then we can see if he has more tactics in his locker. He cant play advanced formations with half the midfield out injured.

The difference with AVB was that he didnt utilise the squad with our injuries. He just stuck to his formation and gameplan, and it didnt matter to him if the players couldnt play there. Peefect example was putting Holtby up against Yaya Toure.

what did he achieve?, 72 points. Spurs highest in the premier league era. the longest unbeaten run of 12 games in the 2012-13 season,the best away record with 10 wins since 1995.His tactics were built around Gareth Bale to give him the freedom to expres himself, scored 21 goals and be sold to madrid by our idiotic board as the worlds most expensive player. He took us to the quater finals of the europa league. He got the first victory at old trafford in over 20+ years in the fergie era.He beat the big teams like City,Manu,Woolwich,Lyon,Liverpool,inter.

He did all this with a lopsided squad and not getting the players he wanted. He wanted a striker, got dempsey. He wanted a creative midfielder like Modric he got a dribbler called dembele. VDV was sold to replace with sigurdsson.Not to mention our midfield last season consisted of livermore,parker,huddlestone,sandro and dembele,were is the creative talent there?.

You are criticising AVB for his formations, yet all sherwood knows is 4-4-2. Woolwich tore our midfield a new one and a derby FA cup game is not the time to throw a youngster on.

what did he achieve?, 72 points. Spurs highest in the premier league era. the longest unbeaten run of 12 games in the 2012-13 season,the best away record with 10 wins since 1995.His tactics were built around Gareth Bale to give him the freedom to expres himself, scored 21 goals and be sold to madrid by our idiotic board as the worlds most expensive player. He took us to the quater finals of the europa league. He got the first victory at old trafford in over 20+ years in the fergie era.He beat the big teams like City,Manu,Woolwich,Lyon,Liverpool,inter.

He did all this with a lopsided squad and not getting the players he wanted. He wanted a striker, got dempsey. He wanted a creative midfielder like Modric he got a dribbler called dembele. VDV was sold to replace with sigurdsson.Not to mention our midfield last season consisted of livermore,parker,huddlestone,sandro and dembele,were is the creative talent there?.

You are criticising AVB for his formations, yet all sherwood knows is 4-4-2. Woolwich tore our midfield a new one and a derby FA cup game is not the time to throw a youngster on.

Yes. But what has he actually achieved since Porto?

Two sackings at the end of the day.

As I said, we will see Sherwoods tactical scope when he doesnt have to juggle around 7 injuries, 5 of which were in AVBs first team.

You seem to be blaming Baldini for this "lop sided" squad? Sherwood has the same squad, yet he has it playing football, and winning games.........with 1 months experience under his belt.

As I said, if AVB was a modern footballing intellect, he would have been able to get something out of this squad, and the Chelsea squad before him......you know, the one that went on to win the CL with a caretaker....

Yes. But what has he actually achieved since Porto?

Two sackings at the end of the day.

As I said, we will see Sherwoods tactical scope when he doesnt have to juggle around 7 injuries, 5 of which were in AVBs first team.

You seem to be blaming Baldini for this "lop sided" squad? Sherwood has the same squad, yet he has it playing football, and winning games.........with 1 months experience under his belt.

As I said, if AVB was a modern footballing intellect, he would have been able to get something out of this squad, and the Chelsea squad before him......you know, the one that went on to win the CL with a caretaker....
Not to be kissing you arse Sammy but you are summing up all my feelings in regards to avb. His football style didn't not fit spurs at all, his highline tactics where sucidal, his man management terrible, his attitude towards the fans haughty. I stop enjoying watching spurs under him and his only defense seems to be this points total that got us EL football not Cl football, and that was due to bale being amazing last season.

Lost me here.

That team stumbled to the CL. Chelsea didn't win that year, everyone else just lost.

No. Chelsea won it....they beat Bayern and Barca over 3 games at the end.

The football was negative, tedious and droll. And one which alot of people here slated and claimed, like yourself, was undeserving of being on the winners trophy.

Yet under AVB, negative football was lauded and "winning any way possible" seen as more important than playing good football.

How people could defend playing 2 DMs at home to Hull and Norwich is beyond me..

No. Chelsea won it....they beat Bayern and Barca over 3 games at the end.
It's a matter of perspective. The less I say about this, the better.

Yet under AVB, negative football was lauded and "winning any way possible" seen as more important than playing good football.
I don't think that this was at all the case, case in point being the booing at the team's performances. There will always be a contingent of supporters that only care about the points that are picked up, but I think you're clutching at straws if you're trying to insinuate that that was in any way indicative of the majority.

A large number of us badly wanted AVB to succeed at Spurs, but that doesn't mean that we were pleased with the way that things were going.

Hmmmm

I remember the people saying things were bad being called negative troll cunts, and constatntly having the record points tally thrown in our faces as proof that things were just fine.

Back
Top Bottom