Tottenham Hotspur FC - Man City Mercenaries

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Vert & Sandro haven't played for weeks. Citeh have 2 first teams which Pellalinguini rotates and another 30 odd squad players. They might have two games b4 next Wed means nothing to them. Timmy will pick the team best to play them and I can't see him gambling both of them. Anyway I will be there fingers crossed. With a bit of luck we will stuff them 3 0 and can sing the Y Army on the way home. Fuck em all. YID ARMY!

Its never going to happen - but just for shits and giggles I'd go for speed
I'd love to see Lennon running at their central defenders, off Ade's feeds
and have Ade harrying Toure, because of his size and presence. I reckon he would really fuck Toure up, probably get him sent off - as long as Ade kept his cool and didn't walk first

Like I say - its not a serious proposition - so don't go all football manager on me and start ripping me to shreds.

[formation="4231, Lloris, Walker, Chiriches, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Sandro, Dembele, Townsend, Adebayor, Eriksen, Lennon"][/formation]
Didn't Jol play Lennon centre down the middle, with sucess, against Chelshite in the FA Cup at SB some years ago and he ran them ragged. We we're 3 nil up in something like 30 mins.

Didn't Jol play Lennon centre down the middle, with sucess, against Chelshite in the FA Cup at SB some years ago and he ran them ragged. We we're 3 nil up in something like 30 mins.
yep, I remember the game, but we ended up drawing IIRC. Never understood why we never tried it again, for surprise value alone

He's an exponentially better defender than Rose - plus we'll need Kaboul's physical presence in the centre

But we have already seen this season that he struggled at left back against Man City, and Kaboul didn't exactly shine in the centre. Vertonghen is far too good a centre back to be played anywhere else.

But we have already seen this season that he struggled at left back against Man City, and Kaboul didn't exactly shine in the centre. Vertonghen is far too good a centre back to be played anywhere else.
Everyone struggled against City in that game - my rationale is to have a better 'defender' in place of Rose who to be quite honest is prone to defensive errors more often than Jan. I don't mind if the former starts at LB with Verts is moved to the middle alongside Vlad - but I certainly do not see it as train-smash at LB

Everyone struggled against City in that game - my rationale is to have a better 'defender' in place of Rose who to be quite honest is prone to defensive errors more often than Jan. I don't mind if the former starts at LB with Verts is moved to the middle alongside Vlad - but I certainly do not see it as train-smash at LB

I will repeat the most important part again, Vertonghen is far too good a centre back to play at left back. Rose has done a decent enough job for us, he has made a couple of mistakes (Woolwich/Swansea) but he has done alright. There are at least eleven other people who can see the flaw in your plan.

I will repeat the most important part again, Vertonghen is far too good a centre back to play at left back. Rose has done a decent enough job for us, he has made a couple of mistakes (Woolwich/Swansea) but he has done alright. There are at least eleven other people who can see the flaw in your plan.
That is not the most important part - rather your personal opinion. I've also now tried to explain the same on my part. I don't expect you to agree, nor am I particularly bothered if you don't or which FM experts 'agreed' with your post on the Internet. And since we're going in circles - not sure what you're aiming to achieve. Just fyi - Vertonghen play as LB for Belgium because he knows it's either that or bench - I see no problem with him helping out the club that actually pays his SALARY every few games or so - not a permanent arrangement - just the odd once-off

That is not the most important part - rather your personal opinion. I've also now tried to explain the same on my part. I don't expect you to agree, nor am I particularly bothered if you don't or which FM experts 'agreed' with your post on the Internet. And since we're going in circles - not sure what you're aiming to achieve. Just fyi - Vertonghen play as LB for Belgium because he knows it's either that or bench - I see no problem with him helping out the club that actually pays his SALARY every few games or so - not a permanent arrangement - just the odd once-off

It is the most important part. And here the come the sly insults, Football Manager has nothing to do with this, it is just common sense that playing Vertonghen out of position, however comfortable he is there, is not the wisest move. The difference being that Vertonghen can quite easily change his club but he can't change what nation he represents. On top of all this I don't think I have ever seen Vertonghen have a good game at left back for us.

It is the most important part. And here the come the sly insults, Football Manager has nothing to do with this, it is just common sense that playing Vertonghen out of position, however comfortable he is there, is not the wisest move. The difference being that Vertonghen can quite easily change his club but he can't change what nation he represents. On top of all this I don't think I have ever seen Vertonghen have a good game at left back for us.
No - it is not - rather than personal opinion like most debates on here. I can respect yours and have no issue if you want to stick Verts in the middle - it is you however seemingly unable to accept a viewpoint contrary to your stance of assumed tactical superiority. And one more time - this would not be a permanent arrangement - rather the occaisonal shuffle up at the back allowing Kaboul to add extra physical presence alongside Vlad against their top-class forwards. No one is asking Vertonghen to relocate left for good - simply using his positional versatility to strengthen our back 4. If he, as a professional employed by this club has a problem with doing that every odd-game and wants to leave - then he doesn't deserve the lily-white shirt, afaic

He had many good games at LB for us (last season) and Belgium for that matter - however the City thrashing has become an easy scapegoat to bash many players and blown out of proportion due to the horrific scoreline

No - it is not - rather than personal opinion like most debates on here. I can respect yours and have no issue if you want to stick Verts in the middle - it is you however seemingly unable to accept a viewpoint contrary to your stance of assumed tactical superiority. And one more time - this would not be a permanent arrangement - rather the occaisonal shuffle up at the back allowing Kaboul to add extra physical presence alongside Vlad against their top-class forwards. No one is asking Vertonghen to relocate left for good - simply using his positional versatility to strengthen our back 4. If he, as a professional employed by this club has a problem with doing that every odd-game and wants to leave - then he doesn't deserve the lily-white shirt, afaic

He had many good games at LB for us (last season) and Belgium for that matter - however the City thrashing has become an easy scapegoat to bash many players and blown out of proportion due to the horrific scoreline

I can accept that some people might want to play Vertonghen at left back but let's look at the simple facts, it is not his best position, he is a far far better centre back than he is a left back and I am all for playing players in their best position. Secondly Vertonghen would likely be up against Right Wing Jesus next Wednesday and I personally believe he may struggle against someone with such blistering pace. The other flaw in this plan is that none of us have any idea how Kaboul will perform when he returns from injury, he may not even be half the player he was before the injury. I can't remember any decent games at left back for us, he may well have had good games there for Belgium but I can't remember any in a Spurs shirt.

We will see what Tim does but I have a feeling he might see it my way rather than yours.

I can accept that some people might want to play Vertonghen at left back but let's look at the simple facts, it is not his best position, he is a far far better centre back than he is a left back and I am all for playing players in their best position. Secondly Vertonghen would likely be up against Right Wing Jesus next Wednesday and I personally believe he may struggle against someone with such blistering pace. The other flaw in this plan is that none of us have any idea how Kaboul will perform when he returns from injury, he may not even be half the player he was before the injury. I can't remember any decent games at left back for us, he may well have had good games there for Belgium but I can't remember any in a Spurs shirt.

We will see what Tim does but I have a feeling he might see it my way rather than yours.

For the last time - these are not 'facts' - rather personal opinion. Do you understand the difference?

I don't know how Tim would set-out, simply giving my personal take (which is what I believe this forum allows as a platform) - you have an issue with that - deal with it. I'm done debating with someone who's more concerned with point-scoring than anything else

For the last time - these are not 'facts' - rather personal opinion. Do you understand the difference?

I don't know how Tim would set-out, simply giving my personal take (which is what I believe this forum allows as a platform) - you have an issue with that - deal with it. I'm done debating with someone who's more concerned with point-scoring than anything else

I understand the difference but it is a fact that Vertonghen is a better centre back than he is a left back. I can't believe that is even up for debate.

Of course you are entitled to give your opinion just as I am entitled to disagree with it. I have no issue with that whatsoever and I'm certainly not here for point scoring.

I honestly do not see Rose as the weakest link or jesus being the most dangerous player. The threat is central with Aguero and Negredo. Need a world class defender to stop a world class player.If Dzeko comes into the mix (possibly as a sub). I can see the purpose of bringing on an extra defender for Rose as set pieces and corners might be a threat.

I like this formation, would give defensive and a lot of attacking/creative space

916205_Tottenham_Hotspur.jpg

Like it but aren't we just heading back toward AVB formations just with Eriksen playing on the wing instead of Siggy?

I promote minimal change and, straight swaps with Vert for Dawson (unlucky to be dropped) and Paul for
Bentaleb. Bring Soldado back forward with Erikson moving wide again. City are strong down the middle. Lets play football down the sides and open up the game. We will have Sandro to come on later to support the centre.

…………….
Lloris
Walker - Vert - Vlad - Rose
Lennon -Paulinho- Dembele - Eriksen
------------Soldado Ade

Oh lordy - talk about painting someone with your own failings.

Back
Top Bottom