LGB&T

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

All for gays (Have lesbian aunts), but this could be a bad thing. Putting them in a group singles them out and allows others to attack them far more easily. Just my opinion though

All for gays (Have lesbian aunts), but this could be a bad thing. Putting them in a group singles them out and allows others to attack them far more easily. Just my opinion though
They're not being ring fenced off in the stadium.

As for "attack them more easily", fighting something in silence never did anyone any good.

Well, it's not like anyone will be forced to join the group.

And for all who says: "Sexual orientation/politics/religion/whatever has nothing to do with football." Yes, it has. Football (or more precise, going to matches) is social. You are around thousands and thousands of other human beings. For a lot of people, their religion/sexual orientation is a massive part of who they are and defines them as human beings, even if they themselves don't want it to be that way. Politics is not confined to its own sphere. It is "total", and affects all of life, whether you like it or not. You are all free to hide your personal allegiances when entering a stadium, but if you demand that others do it you are enforcing your views upon others. I understand that you want football grounds to be a "haven" free from everything non-football. But you need to realise that the world you live in is so much more complex and by ignoring that fact, you yourself become an oppressor.
So please don't tell the sitgmatised minorities of your community, whose day to day struggles you can't even imagine, how to behave or express themselves in public. Live and let live.

They're not being ring fenced off in the stadium.

As for "attack them more easily", fighting something in silence never did anyone any good.

I like the idea, just saying that it has its flaws which could possibly make these people miserable. I hope the rest of the fans at or even not at the game defend them against these possible attacks though.

Well, it's not like anyone will be forced to join the group.

And for all who says: "Sexual orientation/politics/religion/whatever has nothing to do with football." Yes, it has. Football (or more precise, going to matches) is social. You are around thousands and thousands of other human beings. For a lot of people, their religion/sexual orientation is a massive part of who they are and defines them as human beings, even if they themselves don't want it to be that way. Politics is not confined to its own sphere. It is "total", and affects all of life, whether you like it or not. You are all free to hide your personal allegiances when entering a stadium, but if you demand that others do it you are enforcing your views upon others. I understand that you want football grounds to be a "haven" free from everything non-football. But you need to realise that the world you live in is so much more complex and by ignoring that fact, you yourself become an oppressor.
So please don't tell the sitgmatised minorities of your community, whose day to day struggles you can't even imagine, how to behave or express themselves in public. Live and let live.

Isn't what you just said there oppressing my right to freedom of speech as well then?

Don't see why they have their own group, they're separating themselves? I don't care, just as long as we don't get the equivalent to the club funded 'Gay Gooners' banner. So cringe, screams 'ooo look at us, were so PC'.

One day there wont be any need for groups and no one will give a shit about what your sexuality is unless they fancy you and want to shag you.

Don't see why they have their own group, they're separating themselves? I don't care, just as long as we don't get the equivalent to the club funded 'Gay Gooners' banner. So cringe, screams 'ooo look at us, were so PC'.
I'm not sure about that, we need an atmosphere and what better way to get one than encouraging a section full of flares? :sandroscream:

Lovely for them. Live and let live.

However, there's just something about the endless parade of congratulations and well-wishing that accompanies every announcement such as this or every "coming out" that just feels odd to me, as if everyone is competing to see who can most vociferously establish themselves as being the most inclusive and progressive among the crowd. To me - in the broader context - the tradition of "coming out" has started to resemble a cultural expectation that is less about the individual than it is about giving the crowd the opportunity to feel good about themselves, in the expectation that someone "in the closet" is still hiding from who they truly are, and that only by everyone being super-duper great people did someone build up the bravery to finally "come out" and stop living a lie.

I think we'll have truly gotten somewhere when someone loudly pronounces that they are gay and the overwhelming consensus is "... and?"

However, there's just something about the endless parade of congratulations and well-wishing that accompanies every announcement such as this or every "coming out" that just feels odd to me
It's always my opinion that all that guff us more about making the congrulators feel worthy than it is genuinely supporting the congratulee.

I's making words up as I go, ya know..... :adegrin:

Lovely for them. Live and let live.

However, there's just something about the endless parade of congratulations and well-wishing that accompanies every announcement such as this or every "coming out" that just feels odd to me, as if everyone is competing to see who can most vociferously establish themselves as being the most inclusive and progressive among the crowd. To me - in the broader context - the tradition of "coming out" has started to resemble a cultural expectation that is less about the individual than it is about giving the crowd the opportunity to feel good about themselves, in the expectation that someone "in the closet" is still hiding from who they truly are, and that only by everyone being super-duper great people did someone build up the bravery to finally "come out" and stop living a lie.

I think we'll have truly gotten somewhere when someone loudly pronounces that they are gay and the overwhelming consensus is "... and?"

You certainly have a point, but it is also true that societal acceptance of homosexuality does make it much easier and more likely for someone to come out. The end goal of it being completely accepted and not deemed relevant with than "...and?" response is certainly a good one, but to get there we have to first make eliminate homophobia from our society and make sure we have an environment where no-one really does feel the need to hide their sexuality. Showing open acceptance to LGBT people coming out helps towards that. It's a stepping stone, if you will, between the outright hatred of the past and the neutral acceptance of the future.

Back
Top Bottom