New Manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can't say where I got the info, but Poch is on his way to Spurs
My biggest concern here is that he doesn't have the experience/respect to hold onto some of the big names we have at Spurs.

At least with a big name there's a chance those players might stay...

If true then I expect another big rebuild over the summer requiring a new GK and at least two new CBs along with the obvious.

My biggest concern here is that he doesn't have the experience/respect to hold onto some of the big names we have at Spurs.

At least with a big name there's a chance those players might stay...

If true then I expect another big rebuild over the summer requiring a new GK and at least two new CBs along with the obvious.
We're talking about someone who has played 20 times for Argentina and has played at PSG. He's not exactly a nobody. Just because he's not Frank De Boer or Van Gaal, that doesn't mean he won't command respect in the dressing room.

Personally I'm not buying any of the ITK at the moment. With LvG not yet signed up to Man U, and with other possible options out there, it's seems absurd if Levy rushes into this so quickly and just settles for the man who seems easiest to get. I think doing it that way will underwhelm a lot of fans and he surely must realise that he's increasingly losing peoples' support. He needs to make a good and considered decision. I don't see how a manager who has never gone anywhere near the CL can be expected to get us top four like Levy wants.

I cant believe for a second this is a knee jerk/convenient decision.

IMO Levy will have been plotting this for months, so whoever does come in will be the man he really wants, not just the most readily available.

We're talking about someone who has played 20 times for Argentina and has played at PSG. He's not exactly a nobody. Just because he's not Frank De Boer or Van Gaal, that doesn't mean he won't command respect in the dressing room.

I think it's the fact people including me had in their head if FdB showed up you get respect of Eriksen and Jan as an absolute freebie it's just harde to swallow as he is kind of an unknown, let's hope he is no Laudrup

Not quite, he has prem experience or at least some and plays attacking football on thoses bases he is covered, AVB screwed up Chelsea and played nagative football and Ramos didn't have previous prem experience. Attacking football and prem experience are for me mostly essential. That being said FDB is the exception with Prem experience but that's because he is exceptional and I suppose he would be just about my first choice, but Pochenttino is fine with me.
Agree about the football and experience in the PL, but my fear is that he will turn out to be disappointing in some way or other, and we'll end up in the same situation next year when Levy activates the 12 month break clause in his contract...Another gamble in my view, and I would have preferred a candidate with experience from bigger clubs.

I think it's the fact people including me had in their head if FdB showed up you get respect of Eriksen and Jan as an absolute freebie it's just harde to swallow as he is kind of an unknown, let's hope he is no Laudrup
It all depends on the individual really. If he is an impressive, commanding character then he will command instant respect from the players. Of course, none of us know what he's like as we've never worked with him

What we need is a HUGE Pochetinno surfing flag. Make him feel at home like. Maybe even fit Ossie and Ricky on there too.

Agree about the football and experience in the PL, but my fear is that he will turn out to be disappointing in some way or other, and we'll end up in the same situation next year when Levy activates the 12 month break clause in his contract...Another gamble in my view, and I would have preferred a candidate with experience from bigger clubs.

Just not viable though, is it?

Whoever we get is a gamble because we simply cant shop at the top table.

Pochettino? Relatively little experience/gravitas.
FDB? Never dealt with the premier league.
LVG? (Out of reach really) Old and curmugdeonly and with a list of failures as well as successes.
Prandelli/Spaletti? Never managed in the premiership

Bottom line is, like players, we have to gamble on those we think will make the step up. IMO all of these candidates have merit, so if we pick one they get a clean slate and best wishes from me while they set about doing what they can do.

I cant believe for a second this is a knee jerk/convenient decision.

IMO Levy will have been plotting this for months, so whoever does come in will be the man he really wants, not just the most readily available.
You say that, but LvG is still dropping hints about "other clubs" in his interviews and just a few weeks ago FdB seemed up for the job. Doesn't strike me as having been going on for months at all. Seems to me like he's been speaking to lots of people but is going for the easy option.

And, like I say, the guy has zero experience of CL management. He's just managerial flavour of the month. It's a huge gamble to expect him to get us to the level Levy wants. Footballing styles aside, this, for me, carries as much risk as both AVB and Weasel. I really wanted us to get for a name who had won some trophies and managed in the CL. To pull one out of the bag. In fact, the more I think about it the more I think I'd prefer fat Spanish waiter for those reasons. I'm not big fan of his - but at least he's familiar with what it takes to get into and play the CL.

Personally I'm not buying any of the ITK at the moment. With LvG not yet signed up to Man U, and with other possible options out there, it's seems absurd if Levy rushes into this so quickly and just settles for the man who seems easiest to get. I think doing it that way will underwhelm a lot of fans and he surely must realise that he's increasingly losing peoples' support. He needs to make a good and considered decision. I don't see how a manager who has never gone anywhere near the CL can be expected to get us top four like Levy wants.

I do think Pochinttino has some good advantages, as I said he provides a structured attacking style of football, prem expierence, good youth development, a very good job with Southampton it has to be said, we can take far bigger gambles that that guy. He might also help Lamela as a side bonus and drag with him a few good young players like Chambers from the Saints.

However it is hard to ignore FDB with how he has done with such an average Ajax team, he plays attacking football, has an amazing name in world football, is apparently loved by Eriksen and Verts, could bring with him one or two of the better Ajax sqaud and I think you pointed out to me would be hard to sack and therefore might might get enough years to really build something. As you say Levy should not rush this decision.

I do think Levy is living on borrowed time in some respects, the mess with Redknapp/AVB still haunts us, going from neck and neck with Woolwich back to nowehere hurts. Levy's short termism means you never quite know whats going to happen next and thats bad for the club, the fans, the players, the manager and maybe one day Levy himself.

Personally none of the current linked managers match what I would expect to be the ambition and goals of the club. I can't see Poch or FdB firing us to top 4, Levy has to get realistic, go big or go 5th.

Personally none of the current linked managers match what I would expect to be the ambition and goals of the club. I can't see Poch or FdB firing us to top 4, Levy has to get realistic, go big or go 5th.
Frank De Boer not ambitious enough? Are you kidding me? Four Eredivisie titles at Ajax. Playing experience at Ajax and Barcelona.

He's shit hot mate, he'll be a top manager in world football one day

Just not viable though, is it?

Whoever we get is a gamble because we simply cant shop at the top table.

Pochettino? Relatively little experience/gravitas.
FDB? Never dealt with the premier league.
LVG? (Out of reach really) Old and curmugdeonly and with a list of failures as well as successes.
Prandelli/Spaletti? Never managed in the premiership

Bottom line is, like players, we have to gamble on those we think will make the step up. IMO all of these candidates have merit, so if we pick one they get a clean slate and best wishes from me while they set about doing what they can do.
Can't agree with that, but no point in arguing about who we can possibly get. A top 6 PL club (top 4 not long ago) should be an interesting job for many top managers.

Back
Top Bottom