David Bentley

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm actually really surprised he hasn't been picked up by someone in the championship somewhere. At 29 he is at the age where he would be an asset to someone like Watford. The question is does he really want to play football anymore? It's a shame if he is more motivated by money than playing.
Further down a player was released by Walsall in league 1 and actually dropped 7 levels to keep fit and play before he got picked up by another club. It's a shame DB doesn't seem to have the same desire

Ledley King sheds a bit of light on this in his book, said he always needed something else besides football to concentrate on.

So a wasted talent I feel, he had potential for sure

http://www.offthepost.info/blog/201...campaign=Feed:+offthepost/TLAa+(Off+The+Post)
Former Tottenham manager Juande Ramos has previously bemoaned his old players’ love of McDonalds.

His account has been given some more weight in Jimmy Bullard’s new book.

The former Wigan, Fulham and Hull midfielder claims ex-Spurs winger David Bentley orchestrated a plan to bring burgers and fries into Fabio Capello’s infamously strict England camp when he was named in the squad to face Andorra and Croatia in 2008.

Bullard writes:

“The whole squad always had to eat together but we had supper at 7pm, the same time my kids have it. That was never going to last me until the following morning.

If I was at home and I got peckish later in the evening, I’d go to the fridge and have a bite to eat. But with room service off limits, Fabio left us to starve until breakfast.

That was way too strict for my liking. It would get to about 9pm or 10pm every night and I’d be starving. Something had to be done. So I paid a visit to David Bentley’s room.

Bents was a great lad. The bloke is an absolute wrong ’un, make no mistake about that, but a lot of fun nonetheless. He was always laughing and I mean, always laughing.

I stepped out of my hotel room. There was always heavy security surrounding the England team and I noticed there was a bouncer at both ends of the corridor. I had no idea how we were going to get food in there, but it had to be done because I was starving.

I knocked on Bentley’s door which he immediately opened and he burst out laughing: ‘Wa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!’

‘Bents,’ I said, ‘I haven’t even said anything.’

‘Wa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!’

‘Listen Bents, I’m starving. I’ve got to eat something.’

‘Wa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Funny you should say that. So am I.’

‘How can we eat something?’ I asked him.

‘Leave it to me,’ he said as he called a mate of his.

Within half an hour, there was a knock at the door and Bentley’s mate was standing there with a large McDonald’s brown paper bag full of Big Macs and chips. You f***ing beauty!”

Funnily enough, that was Bullard’s first and only England call-up and he didn’t win a cap.

The Andorra game was also Bentley’s last appearance in an England squad.

I've always been curious as to why it all went so spectacularly wrong for Bentley/ Particularly intrigued to see Bullard referring to him as "always a wrong 'un". Anyone ever find out what the deal was? I heard rumours of gambling myself, but that's about it.

http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2014/05/former-spurs-star-david-bentley-smuggled-a-mcdonalds-meal-into-fabio-capellos-england-camp/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: offthepost/TLAa (Off The Post)

I've always been curious as to why it all went so spectacularly wrong for Bentley/ Particularly intrigued to see Bullard referring to him as "always a wrong 'un". Anyone ever find out what the deal was? I heard rumours of gambling myself, but that's about it.

Booze as well, him and Keane were bang on it and regulars in Brookmans park/Cockfosters area.

I was a big fan of Bentley, not for his footballing talent, but for the passion and good feeling I got about the guy. It's a shame he was never able to live up to his own aspirations. I had a similar experience in sport when I used to row. I had been doing it for 4-5 years and my last season, where I was the quickest and best I had ever been I enjoyed the least, I feel out of love with it because I became increasingly frustrated with not being able to meet my own expectations. The way people ran things around me (coach and squad) wasn't how I wanted it to be and despite being captain of the team that year I quit at the end and have never looked back since. People often ask me why I quit and do I think I will ever get back into a rowing boat, and I can tell you I have literally no desire to whatsoever! I doubt we will see Bentley playing professionally again, if it does I expect it will be short lived.

Good luck to you Bentley, the name on the back of my shirt that has been worn only a hand full of times! :bentley:

He fell out of love with football because he thought he had made it, then realised that he might have to carry on working hard, didnt fancy it, got dropped.

I watched that interview the other week, and found it really interesting. The idea that he was happiest in the youth teams just playing and being with his mates is what struck me that most. But when there was a greater pressure to succeed, and do so in a particular fashion that's when it started to go downhill for him.

That doesn't mean to say that I think he's completely right, but I understand that point of view. He obviously wasn't the model professional, and if he was then he'd probably still be in the England squad as he was a talented player.

It always seemed to me that he did well at Blackburn because he was away from temptation, so he knuckled down, then came home and the lifestyle became more important than playing.

Maybe he's just a lazy fun-loving pisshead pussy-fiend cunt. (Man after my own heart.)

254597_10150343063906578_5888042_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom