David Bentley

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where did it all go wrong for him?

Lauded as the next Beck's some would say he believed the hype too early and never really kicked on from a good spell at Blackburn.

The thing is, we know what he can do, but does he have the desire to work for it?

I only bring this up as I was talking to a fellow yid about him today and I was quite suprised to see he was only 23 still, for some reason I thought he was a lot older. By the time his injury heals he would have had a lot of time to sit around and think about his career and where it is going.

Anyway, has he got a role to play with us or is he likely to be shifted to anyone who will pay for him?

Dru said:
Anyway, has he got a role to play with us or is he likely to be shifted to anyone who will pay for him?

I really can't see there being many takers - got to pray that Mark Hughes somehow thinks he can get him playing well again at QPR or I fear we are stuck with him

Another 'nearly' player.

It's a real shame, he had such potential to become a Tottenham great.

One thing I noticed was at Blackburn he had some real pace. As soon as he joined us he was slow as shit :S

There's defiantly something seriously wrong with him and probably things that go on behind closed doors at the club. It does worry you when someone like that doesn't get any cheeky bids from anyone when someone like Bramble can get passesdaround the lower prem clubs. And also doesn't even get mentioned by The club/Harry etc. not even he's crap anything, just Weved washed our hands of you type attitude. Would love to know why

I found an article on cryotherapy that seems to sum him up:-

David Bentley jokes that the treatment is 'too much like hard work', but Rafael van der Vaart, who has a hamstring injury from the Liverpool match, is enthusiastic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... njury.html

Surely it cant be a bad thing having him back fit - he must realise his career is going down the toilet so he needs to get his nut down :nawty: and perform when given a chance.

Could do with his set piece delivery this season.....

Blanchflower said:
Dru said:

I really can't see there being many takers - got to pray that Mark Hughes somehow thinks he can get him playing well again at QPR or I fear we are stuck with him

Did he play for Hughes at Blackburn?

YidoBuckler said:
Blanchflower said:
Dru said:

Did he play for Hughes at Blackburn?
Yeah he did

My old man goes Repton gym in Chigwell. He saw Bentley in there the other day...apparently bragging to his mate about his abs!!! Seriously mate, put some effort in.

Bentley, unfortunately, is totally Hollywood. Shame because he can kick balls into skips and score magnificent goals against the gooners when he puts his mind to it.

I could never understand why we signed him. He had one good year at blackburn and everyone went mad.

It was a Comolli signing wasn't it? that explains a lot.

He has got to be moved on.

"Could do with his set piece delivery this season....."

^^This. Why the fuck do we never create anything from set pieces? We rarely beat the first man on corners for fuck sake, it's so frustrating. Look at the teams in the bottom half of the table, most of their goals come from corners / free kicks. What are we doing wrong? Letting VDV take everything? Not practising set pieces / tactics in training? Mix of both or something else?
It does my fucking head in :bmj: I reckon we could be top of the league if we weren't so poor at corners alone (stat?) Then we'd be all :chiccosmile:

As for Bentley he had his chance and proved he wasn't good enough. I thought we were gonna see him at his best in the run in for our CL qualifying season but only saw him in his pants.

Aleksic said:
I could never understand why we signed him. He had one good year at blackburn and everyone went mad.

Stewart Downing is Liverpool's Bentley

Lennon was shite the previous season which is why we bought Bentley, this gave him the kick up the arse he needed and has gone from strength to strength.

Blanchflower said:
Aleksic said:

Stewart Downing is Liverpool's Bentley

To be fair, at least Bentley got goals/assists

Downing is about as effective for Liverpool as Bentley is for us when he's not playing

Aleksic said:

He has 3 good years at Blackburn and showed plenty of promise in a loan spell at Norwich.

He's a player with undoubted ability, who maybe couldn't handle the pressure of a price tag, and showed the wrong attitude.

He thought he'd made it when he got a £15m move to us. He also thought as he was at Spurs he had to be flash and try tricks and flicks all the time

Back
Top Bottom