Sandro

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's become a parody. Everyones saying its a travesty he's gone yet he's currently behind Capoue, Bentaleb, Dembele, and now Stamboulli. Not to mention we have youth players we can bring through.

Yeah he is behind them, but everyone probably thinks he deserves to be ahead of them (well Capoue/Bentaleb definitely). I personally do not understand why we are selling him, when he isn't injured and playing regularly he is one of the best defensive midfielder around.

Yeah he is behind them, but everyone probably thinks he deserves to be ahead of them (well Capoue/Bentaleb definitely). I personally do not understand why we are selling him, when he isn't injured and playing regularly he is one of the best defensive midfielder around.
You've sort of answered your own question there though. If he's not injured and still isn't playing maybe he just isn't as good as we think he is anymore? You can't deny he's been shit since he got injured.

Even when he's on form, he doesn't bring a lot does he? He can chase down and tackle and block yes, but other than that, he adds maybe one or two goals a season. Capoue can do all that and he's been one of our best passers so far.

He hasn't been "one of the best defensive midfielders around" for about 2 years now.

He's become a parody. Everyones saying its a travesty he's gone yet he's currently behind Capoue, Bentaleb, Dembele, and now Stamboulli. Not to mention we have youth players we can bring through.
Yeah, I'm gutted but it's nothing more than people becoming attached to him. He's lowest in the pecking order so it only makes sense that we get rid of him when we're so packed in that position.

Having slept on it - I can only suspect his injuries were far more serious than we know/knew

Either that or Poch hates Brazilians

:pochserious2:

If Sandro's so great, why weren't other clubs in for him?

On his game, he's a good player but those days, for whatever reason, just haven't come often enough in a Tottenham shirt.

He's been trying to engineer a move for the best part of a year at least.

Used to love the bloke but he's acted a right prick and his tweet to charlie adam was laughable.

Tweets, injuries and kissing QPR's badge aside, I loved the bloke, and he was a top player on his day. Even against AEL the other night he looked like he was getting back to his best. Some of his slide tackles were superb.

Not sure Capoue is supremely better.

Losing Holtby on the same day as well almost broke my heart :walkercry:

You've sort of answered your own question there though. If he's not injured and still isn't playing maybe he just isn't as good as we think he is anymore? You can't deny he's been shit since he got injured.

Even when he's on form, he doesn't bring a lot does he? He can chase down and tackle and block yes, but other than that, he adds maybe one or two goals a season. Capoue can do all that and he's been one of our best passers so far.

He hasn't been "one of the best defensive midfielders around" for about 2 years now.
I couldn't disagree more with that line. Do remember the Sandro/Dembele partnership? Perfectly balanced in the centre of midfield, giving Dembele and others the freedom to go forward knowing he would sit and pick up runners. You need a midfield enforcer, a bit of bulk, someone putting their foot in and then playing a simple pass. You don't need 11 players that ping Hollywood passes around the pitch.

I personally feel we are imbalanced in that position now, with Dembele, Pauli, Bentaleb and Capoue, none of them quite offer the strength or defensive capabilities I feel Sandro did.

The jury is still out on Stambouli.

Having slept on it - I can only suspect his injuries were far more serious than we know/knew

Either that or Poch hates Brazilians

:pochserious2:
Well it's a shame he hates:sandroscream: and not :paulinhobored:!!

I couldn't disagree more with that line. Do remember the Sandro/Dembele partnership? Perfectly balanced in the centre of midfield, giving Dembele and others the freedom to go forward knowing he would sit and pick up runners. You need a midfield enforcer, a bit of bulk, someone putting their foot in and then playing a simple pass. You don't need 11 players that ping Hollywood passes around the pitch.

I personally feel we are imbalanced in that position now, with Dembele, Pauli, Bentaleb and Capoue, none of them quite offer the strength or defensive capabilities I feel Sandro did.

I don't think capoue is a DM the way Sandro is, Sandro is a Scott Parker true DM, follow the runner, smashing tackles and so on. Capoue is more lmo a Huddleston type, a guy who sits at the base of midfield and controls the game with his passing, he obviously can tackle and is a monster but he is not Sandro/Parker level in defensive cover.

It's a different style and I guess if poch see capoues style as the way forward then we just have to accept it with the advantages and disadvantages it brings.

Ok so other than tackling and sticking his body in the way of things, what does sandro offer???

Sandro's league appearance numbers over the last four years: 11, 17, 22, 10. For me, that tells the whole story. A great player when healthy and on form but not often healthy and on form.

Ok so other than tackling and sticking his body in the way of things, what does sandro offer???
Sorry, answered sarcastically!

I already stated - he offers a balance to the midfield that I don't feel any of our current midfielders offer. I can understand Holtby, as for all his energy and passion, he is easily replaceable and his talent won't be missed.

I understand with his recent injury record that being a good player means fuck all! But when fit, he offers us something that in my opinion none of our other midfielders do.

Back
Top Bottom