Adebayor

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Old article, but shows that he has always been an awkward money grabbing cunt ;

It pains me to admit it but Emmanuel Adebayor is one of the most prodigiously gifted strikers in the world of football today. The reason it pains me to admit it is that he is also one of the most avaricious individuals to ever darken the doorstep of the English game.

Adebayor's "interest" in money first came to light when he was appointed captain of the Togo team who had just qualified for the 2006 World Cup for the first time in the nation's history.

Most men would have been honoured to captain their country. Adebayor's major contribution was to demand that he and his fellow players receive a minimum of US $196,300 for participating in the tournament as well as US $38,000 for each win and half that amount for each draw.

As a result of the row Togo were on the verge of becoming the first team in history to withdraw from a World Cup game and had to be talked into taking the pitch to face Switzerland by FIFA officials at the very last minute. Ultimately the dispute over the result-based bonuses proved to be entirely academic as, perhaps unsurprisingly under the circumstances, Togo failed to win or draw a single game.

The following year the row erupted again with Adebayor thrown out of the Togo team due to the ongoing dispute over unpaid player bonuses. Supposedly Adebayor, who was earning US $61,000 a week at the time, was unhappy that the players were still owed around US $65,000 each for their less than match-winning performances in the aforementioned competition.

"The bonus problem is still there. We were given promises but still nothing has been done. Whatever happens, we're not going to let this go. If they don't pay up, I don't know what will happen," said Adebayor.

In 2008, after a solitary successful season for Woolwich, Adebayor threatened to quit because he was not being paid the same as Thierry Henry. In the words of the man himself:

"People ask if I am asking for the same salary as Henry? That is not necessarily the question. But I am being considered a worthy replacement for Henry while not deserving his salary. The question lies on this level. Either Woolwich give me what I want and I stay or they don't and I leave."

Most players would have been happy to have been mentioned in the same light as Henry, widely regarded as the best player in Woolwich's history, but not Adebayor.

Henry scored 226 goals in his time at Woolwich, a club record. Adebayor was on 46. Rather than basking in the glory of his best ever season he attempted to use his success to extort more money out of the club which had effectively made him. As a result Adebayor was given a substantial pay rise and consented to stay at Woolwich for an additional season.

Then, in September 2008, he refused to board the plane with his teammates for an international game against Zambia. His reason? He was worried the plane would crash and would only board it on the condition that the president of the Togo FA was also on board.

"There are rumours that, if we get on, the aircraft will go down. My life is very dear to me and, if we have to go down, we'll all go down together with the president," said Adebayor.

When fearing an impending plane crash the conventional reaction is to try to get people off the plane, not on it, but the president of the Togo FA was was unable to acquiesce to Adebayor's bizarre request anyway. In fact he was otherwise engaged attending his own mother's funeral. Adebayor refused to board the plane (which landed safely with no loss of life) and Togo lost the match.

The following summer, Adebayor finally left Woolwich, with whom he had signed an improved, long term contract just the previous year. When Woolwich travelled to Man City early in the season all eyes were on Adebayor. For most players a reunion with the club who gave them their big break in the game would be an emotional occasion.

All Adebayor was concerned with was vengeance. He stamped on former strike partner Robin Van Persie's head, an action for which he later received a suspension and was also accused of a stamp by another former teammate, Cesc Fabregas.

A lot of players refuse to celebrate goals against their old clubs. When former City favourite Richard Dunne scored the opener for his new club Aston Villa at the City of Manchester Stadium a few weeks later he had too much respect for the fans who used to sing his name to even celebrate the goal.

When Adebayor scored against Woolwich he ran the entire length of the pitch purely in order to celebrate in front of the travelling Woolwich fans. A deliberately provocative gesture which he later admitted was entirely pre-meditated.

Many people are becoming disillusioned with modern footballers, unable to relate to the mercenary millionaires which adorn the top-tiers of today's game. I think this is an unfair generalization and I have some sympathy for players like Shaun Wright Phillips, who was recently accused of having an over inflated sense of self-importance, after complaining bitterly at being offered a mere £70,000 a week by his employer Man City.

On the one hand £70,000 is an obscene amount of money. On the other hand a number of his teammates are getting significantly higher wages, including Adebayor who earns around £170,000 a week. It doesn't matter whether you are a Premiership footballer or working on a factory floor, if someone is doing more or less the same job as you but is getting a significantly more substantial salary for it you are going to be unsettled.

Tragically three members of the Togo national team entourage were killed in a shooting en route to the African Cup of Nations earlier this year. Adebayor was on board this bus and endured what must have been an incredibly traumatic experience.

An incident like this would make some men even more determined to carry on representing their country. Not Adebayor. This week he announced his retirement from international football. He is 26-years-old.

I am not sure that I necessarily subscribe to the viewpoint that professional footballers should also be moral role models but for many people they are still heroes. I find very little heroic about Emmanuel Adebayor.

It is indeed an old article, well over 6 years old a lot has happened in that time and he's now a 30 year old man rather than a 24 year old who thinks he knows it all.

Here is the deal, the bloke is not obliged to leave. He is on a wage that the club agreed to pay. He does have family who are settled in London. Who the fuck would want to play for QPR?

The fella is divisive, no question about it but I do sometimes wonder if people just want to hate him.

There is far more to the bloke than meets the eye, and whilst I have been frustrated by him, and his comments earlier in the season were unwise, although quite possibly right - the atmosphere has been toxic - I can't for the life of me see any positives in booing him.

I'd far sooner we sing his name on the weekend, against a group of Melvin's who hate him because of something that doesn't even come close to what Judas did to us, and see him put in a proper shift, against a team he loves to score against.

It's all about the bigger picture, so support the team, and support the players would be my message.

There, I've said it and can't take it back.

Well if he plays, lets hope he doesn't get himself sent off again like he did in 2012 when we were 1-0 up and playing well.

Will never know how the game could have panned out if it had been 11 v 11.
Fucking gutted about that game

Well if he plays, lets hope he doesn't get himself sent off again like he did in 2012 when we were 1-0 up and playing well.

Will never know how the game could have panned out if it had been 11 v 11.
Fucking gutted about that game
I was gutted at the way we rolled over when down to 10 men.

Tottenham's Emmanuel Adebayor understands why West Ham loan was blocked
Last Updated: 05/02/15 8:26am

Emmanuel Adebayor has told Sky Sports News HQ that he can understand why Tottenham blocked a deal with West Ham United on Deadline Day.

He has also responded to the booing aimed his way by sections of the Spurs support following a home defeat by Stoke in November, saying his post-match comments were ‘twisted’ by journalists.

Adebayor did not feature for two months after the 2-1 defeat by Stoke until making his return in the 2-1 win over Sunderland on 17 January.

The striker stayed at White Hart Lane during the transfer window despite a late offer from West Ham; chairman Daniel Levy was understood to be unwilling to help a rival for a top-four finish by subsidising the player’s salary.

Adebayor said: "Everything happened in the last 48 hours although the window was open for a month. The club decided to send me out on loan which I was pleased with.

“There were five good clubs who were interested and I narrowed that down to three and then one that I wanted to go. But Mr Levy was against that because it was a rival club. So I am staying here, and I am happy to stay at the club and do my job.”

As to the fans' response after the 2-1 loss to Stoke, when it was suggested that Adebayor preferred to play away from White Hart Lane, he insists his comments were misinterpreted and he still craves their support.

"I am very sad about the booing but we lost a game against Stoke City at home which I was very not very pleased about. If you play for Tottenham you want to finish in the top four so, no disrespect to Stoke, but we should have beaten them.

“After the game I was a little upset about the way we played and everything and I spoke to some of the journalists and I gave them some answers and they twisted it.

"Most of the fans believe what they read and I came out clearly and said I did not mean to hurt anyone because at the end of the day I understand how much they pay to come and watch.

"A player playing with confidence is better than a player playing with doubt in his head. If anyone thinks I am not appreciative of their support then that is a lie. They are the ones that make me run more, that make me want to score goals. Saluting a goal in front of the fans is one of the most beautiful moments in a player's life.

"They had a bad interpretation of what the journalist put in but I think we have to forget those things and we have to move on."

Adebayor was also keen to express his thanks to Mauricio Pochettino after the Tottenham head coach allowed him to return to Africa for personal reasons at the beginning of December.

He said: "I was out of action for a year but it’s only for a week or 10 days that I went back home to sort out some family issues.

"I went to Africa to talk to some people I needed to talk to – then I came back but then I was sick and injured as well. For some people who don’t see me on the TV for long it must seem longer – but it only took me a week or so to go home and sort out my problem."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...yor-understands-why-west-ham-loan-was-blocked

Tottenham's Emmanuel Adebayor understands why West Ham loan was blocked
Last Updated: 05/02/15 8:26am

Emmanuel Adebayor has told Sky Sports News HQ that he can understand why Tottenham blocked a deal with West Ham United on Deadline Day.

He has also responded to the booing aimed his way by sections of the Spurs support following a home defeat by Stoke in November, saying his post-match comments were ‘twisted’ by journalists.

Adebayor did not feature for two months after the 2-1 defeat by Stoke until making his return in the 2-1 win over Sunderland on 17 January.

The striker stayed at White Hart Lane during the transfer window despite a late offer from West Ham; chairman Daniel Levy was understood to be unwilling to help a rival for a top-four finish by subsidising the player’s salary.

Adebayor said: "Everything happened in the last 48 hours although the window was open for a month. The club decided to send me out on loan which I was pleased with.

“There were five good clubs who were interested and I narrowed that down to three and then one that I wanted to go. But Mr Levy was against that because it was a rival club. So I am staying here, and I am happy to stay at the club and do my job.”

As to the fans' response after the 2-1 loss to Stoke, when it was suggested that Adebayor preferred to play away from White Hart Lane, he insists his comments were misinterpreted and he still craves their support.

"I am very sad about the booing but we lost a game against Stoke City at home which I was very not very pleased about. If you play for Tottenham you want to finish in the top four so, no disrespect to Stoke, but we should have beaten them.

“After the game I was a little upset about the way we played and everything and I spoke to some of the journalists and I gave them some answers and they twisted it.

"Most of the fans believe what they read and I came out clearly and said I did not mean to hurt anyone because at the end of the day I understand how much they pay to come and watch.

"A player playing with confidence is better than a player playing with doubt in his head. If anyone thinks I am not appreciative of their support then that is a lie. They are the ones that make me run more, that make me want to score goals. Saluting a goal in front of the fans is one of the most beautiful moments in a player's life.

"They had a bad interpretation of what the journalist put in but I think we have to forget those things and we have to move on."

Adebayor was also keen to express his thanks to Mauricio Pochettino after the Tottenham head coach allowed him to return to Africa for personal reasons at the beginning of December.

He said: "I was out of action for a year but it’s only for a week or 10 days that I went back home to sort out some family issues.

"I went to Africa to talk to some people I needed to talk to – then I came back but then I was sick and injured as well. For some people who don’t see me on the TV for long it must seem longer – but it only took me a week or so to go home and sort out my problem."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...yor-understands-why-west-ham-loan-was-blocked

Altho most of what we hear is conjecture, I was pretty sure that the loan was blocked as West Ham only wanted to pay 50% of his salary compared with the 70% on off from other clubs.

Amazes me how that oink Gold is made out to be hard done by as "unreasonable" Levy is "impossible" to do business with. If you want the player at least pay the wages.

Frankly though I'd have been happy to do the deal if a straight swap between Reid and Kaboul took place.

fanscity.gif

ADEBAYOR: YIDDO

Difficult to know what to make of it all really. He comes across as a smug ungrateful diva, happy to sit out his contract & then you read this from Friedel, a bloke who I have a lot of respect for. He's a lot closer to the situation than we will ever be & whilst I wouldn't expect him to come out & say "yeah he's a right cunt", I would have expected him to be non committal about the subject if Ade was the problem player we all suspect him to be. & let's face it, if he scores the winner tomorrow before windmilling his cock at the Woolwich fans, his reputation will again be on the up. Fickle bunch we are, but that's football.

Back
Top Bottom