Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hate everything about Spurs?

Ive just backed 4 of our youngsters to get some game time....is Lamela more important than them to you?
Id prefer to use our homegrown talent seeing as that what we have decided is our new policy.

As far as Im aware, poor performers lose their place in this regime?

Or does that not count if you are Argentinian..
4 players, one of which you described as 'shit' a week or so ago. The other three you described as kids that needed to be loaned out. Never let consistency get in the way of your gooner agenda.

4 players, one of which you described as 'shit' a week or so ago. The other three you described as kids that needed to be loaned out. Never let consistency get in the way of your gooner agenda.

Yet thats what we have decided to go with this season...so therefore we should use them.

The others are kids, who should be loaned out. But we didnt sign first teamers, so they are here, and should be given a chance. Townsend is shit. Thats how bad it is.

Lamela is worse, has done nothing to earn a place even in the match squad next week and someone else should be given a chance ahead of him.

Like I said, that is the policy we go with.

Or are compatriots of the manager the only players who stand outside the regime?

Yet thats what we have decided to go with this season...so therefore we should use them.

The others are kids, who should be loaned out. But we didnt sign first teamers, so they are here, and should be given a chance. Townsend is shit. Thats how bad it is.

Lamela is worse, has done nothing to earn a place even in the match squad next week and someone ele should be given a chance ahead of him.

Like I said, that is the policy we go with.

Or are compatriots of the manager the only players who stand outside the regime?
It's funny that all our players, our manager, our board are 'shit', 'inconsistent', 'deeply flawed', 'kids', 'fucking the club up' and yet we consistently finish in the top 6 of the most difficult league in the world. Can you imagine if any part of our club wasn't completely shit what we would do. You would have to call us the Tottenham Globetrotters

It's funny that all our players, our manager, our board are 'shit', 'inconsistent', 'deeply flawed', 'kids', 'fucking the club up'

Whats funny is that you think because I think Poch has many concerning flaws, that means he must be shit.

And that because I think Lamela and Townsend are shit, that means I think all the players are shit.

Some people think Adebayor is shit. Some people think that Stambouli was shit. Some people think that Kaboul was shit. It doesnt mean they think Lloris and Kane and Walker and Jan are shit.

Some players are kids. It doesnt mean they are shit.

Some players are inconsistent. It doesnt mean they are shit.

The problem for me is that the squad is unbalanced, full of inexperience, some players are shit and letting the side down, the manager has problems adapting without the players he wants, and the chairman wont sign those players.

From what I can make out from you, is that you are so scared of criticism that you take one statement like "Lamela is shit" or "Poch is tactically naive" or "Levy needs to buy a DM", and you think that the world is going to implode and crush your little face.

Got to admit I'm starting to lose hope that Lamela will come good.

You can't knock the lads effort when he comes on but there just doesn't seem to be any signs of improvement in terms of his ball retention or productivity.

I'm starting to think he's gone from people expecting too much from him due to the price tag to now clinging on to some hope that he'll come good because of the price tag when other players we would have dismissed by now.

This is now the first window where I wouldn't be too gutted if we cut our losses.

Whats funny is that you think because I think Poch has many concerning flaws, that means he must be shit.

And that because I think Lamela and Townsend are shit, that means I think all the players are shit.

Some people think Adebayor is shit. Some people think that Stambouli was shit. Some people think that Kaboul was shit. It doesnt mean they think Lloris and Kane and Walker and Jan are shit.

Some players are kids. It doesnt mean they are shit.

Some players are inconsistent. It doesnt mean they are shit.

The problem for me is that the squad is unbalanced, full of inexperience, some players are shit and letting the side down, the manager has problems adapting without the players he wants, and the chairman wont sign those players.

From what I can make out from you, is that you are so scared of criticism that you take one statement like "Lamela is shit" or "Poch is tactically naive" or "Levy needs to buy a DM", and you think that the world is going to implode and crush your little face.
No, I stupidly read your posts, not all 16,000 but many of them, and I just hear you go week to week saying this ones shit, that ones shit, the mangers makes too many mistakes, Levy's fucking it up. You scapegoat a different person every week but you must have pretty much covered the entire team except Kane, and Lloris. Anyway, its pointless debating you because you don't have a view just an agenda, so will just change your view to match your agenda. I guess its more difficult to hit a moving target, or a mad dog chasing its tail

No, I stupidly read your posts, not all 16,000 but many of them, and I just hear you go week to week saying this ones shit, that ones shit, the mangers makes too many mistakes, Levy's fucking it up. You scapegoat a different person every week but you must have pretty much covered the entire team except Kane, and Lloris. Anyway, its pointless debating you because you don't have a view just an agenda, so will just change your view to match your agenda. I guess its more difficult to hit a moving target, or a mad dog chasing its tail

You clearly dont read my posts because everytime you make a hysterical post like this one, I clarify my views, and you post the exact same thing straight after.

Here´s a tip. Stop reading.

You know once, I started reading a book called The Hobbit. It started getting on my tits, so I stopped reading it. It wasnt for me.

I didnt carry on reading, and after every page, slate the author and accuse him of having some kind of hidden anti little person fetish, deeply rooted between the lines.

I just stopped reading it.

Last edited:
Lost faith in Lamela a long long time ago! We are actually better off playing with 10 players than having him on the pitch. An absolute liability; loses the ball at nearly every opportunity resulting in us being on the back foot on most occasions. Lightweight, no footballing brain and incredibly reckless in the tackle.

Pochettino needs to hope these Juventus rumours are true and take full advantage of offloading him. I would've been happy if the Porto rumours of taking him on loan for a season and with a view to a £5-6m buyout were true to be honest.

Undoubtably, one of the worst midfielders we have ever bought in my opinion.

It's really funny to read this thread. The lad is deemed one of our worst signings ever, and almost all admit he's been mostly average - with a few strong performances mixed in with a decent amount of poor performances. The fact that this lad was our top creator and had 9 points in the PL (apparently 15 points overall?) last year while still managing to leave so many unconvinced of his abilities really does say a lot about his lack of consistency (and how much a price tag influences people's opinions). The fact that clubs like Juve are in for him does kind of confirm the enigma that is Lamela. I've always considered this season as "the last shot" before we move on, but having been painfully reminded of how ill-suited he is to the PL, I've come to realize that if Juve's interest is real and we can get a creative player in to replace him, we should part ways - as it probably is best for all parties involved.

P.S Obviously there are quite a few fans who have an obvious "agenda" against him, but that's okay. We all have our scapegoats - mine is usually Walker (and/or Townsend).

I have no agenda against Lamela, I've never wanted any player to fail here, and take no joy in them under achieving.
But he's pony, at least in a Spurs shirt. I would rather have any player, from any other team, in his position. :townhmm::pochwtf:

I will gladly acknowledge that Lamela has a good eye for a pass, and is one of the top passers at the club. The one glaring thing which he has never shown in a Spurs shirt is the dribbling ability of which he was renowned in Italy, there are really no forward players in the league's top 10 who look less likely to beat a man when the opportunity presents itself. He has absolutely no explosiveness to his game, he is more likely to trip up over the ball than to make a successful dribble.

Working on 3 years now and this flop still can't work his way into the starting 11 on the reg. Not too mention, the guy that Poch prefers isn't even a natural right winger. And enough about his world class work rate. Time to turn the page n lets hope one of those Milan clubs come a calling

Last edited:
Is this a joke?

Its like trying to sell me a rusty cortina...."yeah, well you can see through the windows. The wheels are round...sort of...err....its still got the seats, and if the engine was better it would be ok"

Luka Modric, 2009/10, Widely seen as world class. 4 goals and 6 assists.

Oh. My. God.

Lamela is world class

You asked for elaboration on his skill set and I provided a pretty thorough explanation of them along with tangible evidence, now you're talking shit... The things listed are very relevant to being a good player, if I was talking about his hair or boots you'd have a point with your dumb analogy but I'm not.

Modric comparison is ridiculous. He's a deep lying play maker, not expected to get goals and assists. If you look at the key stats for his position (forward pass %, pass completion %, key passes) etc they will be high.
For a winger goals and assists will be more important and in that area Lamela > Lennon.

& to clear things up.

Mason was subbed because he was tired and hasn't had a proper pre-season due to injury.
Bentaleb came on, one of last seasons best performers. Do we suddenly stop playing him because of a bad game? Of course not, understandable sub. Ideally we'd have an experienced DM with proven quality for the record.

Lamela came on to replace Kane who had some fitness/calf issues. A striker would have been ideal but we don't have one yet (thanks Daniel...) so we went with a similar formation to what we experimented with against AC Milan in the friendly we comfortably won with Lamela/Chadli playing the role up top.

Should we have brought on Alli instead? Well he is a central midfielder not a winger so it made sense to play Lamela there who can actually play that position.
Was it right to bring on Lamela? As stated, there is undeniable evidence to show he is good at pressing, and one of our better tacklers (for an attacking player), and created more goals than anyone in our team last season etc. So yes there was logic to it. Did it work out? Not really. Does it suddenly make him shit? Only if you're a knee jerk melt who forgets everything good he has ever done.
One of most productive players yet some people watch and wait for him to make a mistake to moan about it, football is 90 minutes of people making mistakes FFS. With the team who makes less going on to win. Stop holding him to ridiculous standards because of the price tag, what matters is that he is improving each season and currently has a better output than all our other players in terms of assists.

Back
Top Bottom