100% Angeball, or adapt during the game? Which are you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's your preferred style of play?

• Total voters
ONLY City is better placed in the market than us........................

This is what it looks like if the new PSR rules were to be introduced now (it looks almost identical for the current PL FFP rules)

GK5azQTXsAA_mfV
Cheers. I knew that we're well in the black for FFP purposes, but I mentioned the posted losses because I see that as a 'my hands are tied' plea from the owner. It makes me wonder how we're going to play it this summer. Might be more 'we tried' than 'kick them while they're down'. But it's possible that the notification of large losses (comparatively) is to stop clubs trying to overprice their players.

We *could* have a very good summer.

Cheers. I knew that we're well in the black for FFP purposes, but I mentioned the posted losses because I see that as a 'my hands are tied' plea from the owner. It makes me wonder how we're going to play it this summer. Might be more 'we tried' than 'kick them while they're down'. But it's possible that the notification of large losses (comparatively) is to stop clubs trying to overprice their players.

Yeah, we will not know how it pans out but my gut says we will continue to spend, we've been very active since we moved out of WHL, loads of debate about what we've spent on whom but both wages and spend have increased in line with our increase in revenue.

It will also be interesting to see what our strategy is now the recruitment team are in place and have had their feet under the desk for a while. Do we take advantage of the issues other clubs have with struggling to meet PSR and have to sell? I think yes. I just hope we are lazor focused on the profile of the player rather than excited by the opportunity of buying someone that isn't the right profile required but is being offered by a club desperate to balance their books.

Lets see who we've lost against:

Wolves x 2 (sat back)
Villa (sat back)
West Ham (sat back)
Brighton
Fulham (sat back)
Man City
Chelsea

Not to mention only just scraping 1 goal wins or draws against other defensive clubs - like the 2 goals in injury time against Sheffield Utd.

Villa most definitely didn't sit back against us.

Not really sure "scraping" wins against these clubs is much of a negative. If they're sitting back, they're hard to break down therefore difficult to score. Yet most of the time we do and we win.

Man City have plenty of 1 goal wins against teams that sit back against them. Bournemouth, Brentford, Luton, Sheffield United. And they've also dropped points (like us) against teams that sit back against them. Palace, Wolves, Woolwich.

No one bats an eyelid.

Lets see who we've lost against:

Wolves x 2 (sat back)
Villa (sat back)
West Ham (sat back)
Brighton
Fulham (sat back)
Man City
Chelsea

Not to mention only just scraping 1 goal wins or draws against other defensive clubs - like the 2 goals in injury time against Sheffield Utd.

Newcastle - didn't sit back.

Villa didn't sit back, we dominated them and they did their best to hang in.

So really our losses are against 3 counter attack systems and 3 non counter attack systems (City was FA Cup).

Not exactly a pattern is it? You aren't getting the p value for your statistical significance from that data.

Newcastle - didn't sit back.

Villa didn't sit back, we dominated them and they did their best to hang in.

So really our losses are against 3 counter attack systems and 3 non counter attack systems (City was FA Cup).

Not exactly a pattern is it? You aren't getting the p value for your statistical significance from that data.

Newcastle absolutely played the low block against us, doubling up on Son because he can't play with his back to goal and then playing it direct. They did it so many times it might not have felt like they were sitting back mind...

We had 73% possession!

Newcastle absolutely played the low block against us, doubling up on Son because he can't play with his back to goal and then playing it direct. They did it so many times it might not have felt like they were sitting back mind...

They really didn't. They caused us the most issues by pressing higher up and going man to man to force Vicario into kicking.

It's not me saying that btw, that is what plenty of much better analysts than me said went down.

We had 73% possession!

You can't play a low block if your front 3 are pressing high, they deliberately got their forwards to press our CB's and DM, that's not low block football.

Yeah, we will not know how it pans out but my gut says we will continue to spend, we've been very active since we moved out of WHL, loads of debate about what we've spent on whom but both wages and spend have increased in line with our increase in revenue.

It will also be interesting to see what our strategy is now the recruitment team are in place and have had their feet under the desk for a while. Do we take advantage of the issues other clubs have with struggling to meet PSR and have to sell? I think yes. I just hope we are lazor focused on the profile of the player rather than excited by the opportunity of buying someone that isn't the right profile required but is being offered by a club desperate to balance their books.
Yeah, we're still quite low on the % revenue to wages compared to others, but if that means we're stable and agile when it counts (i.e. this summer) then that's shrewd business. But can't keep your powder dry forever.

Very good point at the end there, but the scouting has been pretty damn good lately. Now Paratici is puppet mastering from the arches. I 100% agree that we should be buying based on data-driven profiling and personality rather than names. I've almost never heard of players City and the like are buying, yet they are outstanding performers. I don't want another Spence or Clarke, or for that matter Ndombele (admittedly, I really did want Tanguy at the time).

Villa most definitely didn't sit back against us.

Not really sure "scraping" wins against these clubs is much of a negative. If they're sitting back, they're hard to break down therefore difficult to score. Yet most of the time we do and we win.

Man City have plenty of 1 goal wins against teams that sit back against them. Bournemouth, Brentford, Luton, Sheffield United. And they've also dropped points (like us) against teams that sit back against them. Palace, Wolves, Woolwich.

No one bats an eyelid.

No PL team really sits back nowadays. The only one I can think of recently was us under Conte!

The best football iv ever seen from Spurs was prime Poch. The way we used width and speed on the counter. Shut down opposition quickly with aggressive pressure. Dele and Eriksen pulling the strings and Kane shooting from around the box.

But it was also straightforward and well drilled and set up. It was honestly some of the best football in the league for a couple of seasons

The best football iv ever seen from Spurs was prime Poch. The way we used width and speed on the counter. Shut down opposition quickly with aggressive pressure. Dele and Eriksen pulling the strings and Kane shooting from around the box.

But it was also straightforward and well drilled and set up. It was honestly some of the best football in the league for a couple of seasons
Because we had a much better squad back then also it was Poch's 3rd to 4th season in.

Kane, Son, Eriksen, Dembele, Dele, Walker, Jan, Toby, Tripps, Rose, Lloris ... almost won a title that year......

ive never seen madrid play a more compact and counter attack style than that tonight.....and it gets the job done... if the most successful club in football history, are willing to swallow their pride and do what needs to be done then that says it all.

madrid will probably go on to win it now and the only side they needed to do that against they done it and got the job done. they will go and impose themselves now and go toe to toe with whatever is put in front fo them....thats how you win 14 probably soon to be 15 european cups! box clever.

thats the difference between them and barca! barca only know how to play 1 way! which is why when they went down to 10 men last night there was only going to be one winner....madrid could go down to 9 men and still be a cunt of a team to beat.

The club accounts aren't a "plea" of anything..... They're a matter of fact.

I'd argue some of our best performances under Poch were 3-4-3 even without Eriksen or Eriksen sitting deeper in the 4, due to the pace in the counter-attack with Dele and Son as wing-forwards.

I honestly feel the most ruthless effective football we played was that way. End of the '17 season we beat Leicester 6-1 away from home. We beat Dortmund that way too. I feel Poch should have went toe-to-toe with Conte and it is crazy to me how bad the club messed up recruitment and tactics, even under Poch, especially after the CL final.

With regards to Ange, I see the merit in giving him time and free reign like Pep. Problem is he can't replace 4 players at a time for 4 of the best in the league. It's the same problem every manager since Poch had I guess. But after Newcastle away my knee-jerk reaction is to shut up shop and counter.

As a result of last night's magnificent defeat, are you with "We'll play this way even if we go down to 5 men" Ange, or would you revert to Conterinho stylee when needed - and hope we can cling on to a desperately dull 1-1.

Either way is stressful, but what is your preferred style of stress?

There's no room for 'don't knows' in this poll.

EDIT: Someone needed the 'don't know' option! Alright, Sir Keir?
Ange Ball. Not The Conte style.
Can I take people back to the late fifties.

Spurs had been at the bottom of the table. Blanch flower had been dropped. It wasn't a good look. Then in came Bill Nicholson. What a difference. It took a couple of years to rebuild Spurs but boy what a team he created. For me it was when he brought in Dave McKay. that the team started to tick.
Dave was all heart and Soul and a great player.
Well Ange Post is a great manager he's proved that however some of the players need to get the spirit they will play their heart and soul for the club. Like Son, Harry, Davies.

When their down they must keep battling on give it 100% every game.

The money they earn is tremendous.
So come Tottenham players put in treble shifts We've got a good manger and club.

So get stuck in.

Terry WSM

The narratives are not mutually exclusive. Can both be true?

The ponderousness is there for everyone to see and (in my opinion) is a result of opposition coaches doing their homework (low block, spring into a quick attack) and a lack of options up front.

The so-called naivety is (again in my opinion) a result of is continually gifting the opposition the same chances - I’m thinking ball in behind the LB and set pieces.
Agree, annoying to see the same mistakes recurring over the past several months.

I do think we need to reshape our attack and get a true DM. Both will take pressure off our defenders. If you look at the defence of VdV, Romero, Udogie and Porro none of them are individually bad players - far from it. The system needs tweaking and the defence is being punished by our inability to do things properly in other areas of the pitch, imho.

Redknapp was underrated. Not as good I admit but the team with Modric/Bale/VdV was a joy to watch most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom