1882 Notes

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Morning all. First time poster. Been reading this and Glory Glory whilst bored at work over the last few months. I'm a bronze member, 6900odd on the ST waiting list, 335 LPs - just a brief about me.

I've been going to Spurs since I was about 7, we had season tickets (Shelf Side lower) during the 1997-2002 seasons. I saw us beat Woolwich 2-1 and United 3-1 in the pouring rain as a little boy.

The first match I knew "1882" were attending was the Notts Forest game on Wednesday. I had a ticket in 34 but during the match moved over blocks and found myself a nice empty seat. I found myself cringing through out the match. The main difference between 1882 and a large percent of our fan base is; 1882 seemed to sing songs I've heard at Non League games. Singing "You're 21st in the league" to Forest after they were singing "We're top of the league" almost made me follow through with cringe. If you've been to White Hart Lane on a cold November evening against West Ham, Cardiff or Wisla Krakow and witnessed the roar of "Yid Army" coming from the corner of the Shelf and block 35 - you will understand my point.

It's almost as if certain people have forgotten who we are because of one season playing Champions League football. We're Tottenham. Our fans turn on a six pence, ESPECIALLY when the team is playing with the effort levels of slugs. You will never get songs like "Dembeli, nothing rhymes with it" going around the ground when you're 1-0 down to Nottingham Forest... try it when we're 3-0 up against Wigan and maybe.

Anyway back to work, rant over, feel slightly better now.

See you all tomorrow at Woolwich. (Bronze members didn't get tickets - but I have friends in high places (of the membership kind))
Welcome.

Interesting thoughts... though I'm not sure I really understand what point you're making. Are you saying that 1882 are embarrassing? That they sing the 'wrong' songs?

1882 isn't about trying to get the entire stadium singing - we all know that's impossible. It's about a group of fans who want to sing constantly for the whole match, thereby helping spur on the team, and having a laugh in the process. Naturally you can't sing the same stock songs for the whole match, cos it'd get fairly boring. So that's why you'll hear people mix it up with ones that are off the cuff, or a bit more obscure.

Admittedly the Forest match was the first 1882 (I think) where we've been next to a vocal group of away fans, which made it very different to how it's been before, and it didn't work as well in my opinion. But without 1882 there on Wednesday, could you imagine just how dead the stadium would've been, apart from the away section? Would we have still won the match without 1882 getting behind the team? Possibly, possibly not.

Come along to block 35 for the Asteras Tripoli match if it's an 1882 match and you'll see what it's normally like. Or even better, come along to the next youth team 1882!

Morning all. First time poster. Been reading this and Glory Glory whilst bored at work over the last few months. I'm a bronze member, 6900odd on the ST waiting list, 335 LPs - just a brief about me.

I've been going to Spurs since I was about 7, we had season tickets (Shelf Side lower) during the 1997-2002 seasons. I saw us beat Woolwich 2-1 and United 3-1 in the pouring rain as a little boy.

The first match I knew "1882" were attending was the Notts Forest game on Wednesday. I had a ticket in 34 but during the match moved over blocks and found myself a nice empty seat. I found myself cringing through out the match. The main difference between 1882 and a large percent of our fan base is; 1882 seemed to sing songs I've heard at Non League games. Singing "You're 21st in the league" to Forest after they were singing "We're top of the league" almost made me follow through with cringe. If you've been to White Hart Lane on a cold November evening against West Ham, Cardiff or Wisla Krakow and witnessed the roar of "Yid Army" coming from the corner of the Shelf and block 35 - you will understand my point.

It's almost as if certain people have forgotten who we are because of one season playing Champions League football. We're Tottenham. Our fans turn on a six pence, ESPECIALLY when the team is playing with the effort levels of slugs. You will never get songs like "Dembeli, nothing rhymes with it" going around the ground when you're 1-0 down to Nottingham Forest... try it when we're 3-0 up against Wigan and maybe.

See you all tomorrow at Woolwich. (Bronze members didn't get tickets - but I have friends in high places (of the membership kind))

Welcome to the forum mate.

You won't get any songs going around WHL unless we are 3-0 up... We have one of the worst home atmospheres in the league for a team that sells out each week.

So why not let the people who have organised with themselves / the club to have small area in which to be vocal and enjoy themselves do exactly that?

One thing ive always thought about the whole "movement" or whatever youd call it, is that that, whilst i accept there can be negatives about it, its a great chance to turn those into positives.

For example, if a group of fans dont like it, why dont they start up their own thing in a different part of the ground. and get all their mates to buy tickets in the same area, and have a competing group making noise. I dont see how that can be a bad thing in any way.

But it hasnt happened yet, so maybe those people just dont care about spurs as much as some of us ;)

You know, I agree with you to an extent. Some of the songs are a bit cringeworthy.

However, in a ground where 90% of the fans hardly ever sing anymore, except when we're winning big games, then I'd rather not moan about the few people who actually make an effort to get some songs going and who try to create a positive atmosphere.

One thing ive always thought about the whole "movement" or whatever youd call it, is that that, whilst i accept there can be negatives about it, its a great chance to turn those into positives.

For example, if a group of fans dont like it, why dont they start up their own thing in a different part of the ground. and get all their mates to buy tickets in the same area, and have a competing group making noise. I dont see how that can be a bad thing in any way.

But it hasnt happened yet, so maybe those people just dont care about spurs as much as some of us ;)

So in my mission to get tickets to a New England revolution game next week I went in search of their organised fan groups to get a ticket in a spot that has some atmosphere.

Turns out they all sit/stand in an area called 'the fort' this is 3 blocks behind the goal practically separates from the main stadium. In there are 3 different 1882 style groups, the midnight riders, the rebellion and another one whose name I can't remember that is more geared towards Hispanic fans.

Each has a very different 'target audience' and some separate songs but work together to make the atmosphere in that section really good. I think this is the sort of concept that could work for us in the future (minus the cheesy American bits and the YouTube clips of how to learn the songs)

I've been in touch with the person Who runs the rebellion (a girl no less) and I'm looking forward to meeting up with them at their pre-match tailgate party and watching the match. If I don't get too drunk I may write a little report about it from a spurs fan perspective for TFC.

I've been in touch with the person Who runs the rebellion (a girl no less) and I'm looking forward to meeting up with them at their pre-match tailgate party and watching the match. If I don't get too drunk I may get her wasted at the tailgate, sack off the crap MLS game and bang her back at the hotel

Corrected

So what songs did you get going?
You seem to be saying our fans should only sing when we're winning? Or what? What the fuck is wrong with banter? I dont see how "we're top of the league" in September is any less cringeworthy to be honest.

As for Wisla, they made us look like fucking mugs so not sure what great atmosphere you are on about there.

The biggest problem with the atmosphere is people trying to rationalise it, and make out as if the songs should be intelligent.

Its not the boy scouts...1882 do not have a duty to make you want to sing. Sing, or dont fucking sing....but dont slag off those who are making some noise.

So in my mission to get tickets to a New England revolution game next week I went in search of their organised fan groups to get a ticket in a spot that has some atmosphere.

Turns out they all sit/stand in an area called 'the fort' this is 3 blocks behind the goal practically separates from the main stadium. In there are 3 different 1882 style groups, the midnight riders, the rebellion and another one whose name I can't remember that is more geared towards Hispanic fans.

Each has a very different 'target audience' and some separate songs but work together to make the atmosphere in that section really good. I think this is the sort of concept that could work for us in the future (minus the cheesy American bits and the YouTube clips of how to learn the songs)

I've been in touch with the person Who runs the rebellion (a girl no less) and I'm looking forward to meeting up with them at their pre-match tailgate party and watching the match. If I don't get too drunk I may write a little report about it from a spurs fan perspective for TFC.

That is exactly the sort of thing ive always thought of when i see people criticising 1882 or the trust and things like that, like they dont realise those things were started by groups of fans and ANYONE is welcome to do the same.

Ive seen people criticise the lack of atmosphere, AND 1882... Thats like saying "Cancer is bad and fuck chemotherapy."
how good would it be to see an extension of the "we're the park lane/we're the shelfside" around the ground with different fan groups and different back and forth songs. Wont happen any time soon though because everything about premier league football is going against that. Plus our ground is too small at the minute so most of the time you cant be too specific on when you want to sit.

That is exactly the sort of thing ive always thought of when i see people criticising 1882 or the trust and things like that, like they dont realise those things were started by groups of fans and ANYONE is welcome to do the same.

Ive seen people criticise the lack of atmosphere, AND 1882... Thats like saying "Cancer is bad and fuck chemotherapy."
how good would it be to see an extension of the "we're the park lane/we're the shelfside" around the ground with different fan groups and different back and forth songs. Wont happen any time soon though because everything about premier league football is going against that. Plus our ground is too small at the minute so most of the time you cant be too specific on when you want to sit.

1882 started off the back of a flash mob organised by a podcast. I'd say we're still very much in the early adopter period of fans listening to other fans' podcasts. But the more people do it the more people can be reached by these more underground fan groups and I think it will start taking off.

In the 6 or 7 years I was in the park lane I maybe knew 1 guy's name who sat around me. Yeah there's be a courtesy hello as we took our seats and maybe some banter during the game but that's out only interaction. Go to 1882 however and you've immediately got at least a nucleus of people who met on here or wherever and Arrange to drink together.

I just really hope the MLS experience next week isn't super cheesy!

iQFROl8maVdMJ.gif

Welcome.

Interesting thoughts... though I'm not sure I really understand what point you're making. Are you saying that 1882 are embarrassing? That they sing the 'wrong' songs?

1882 isn't about trying to get the entire stadium singing - we all know that's impossible. It's about a group of fans who want to sing constantly for the whole match, thereby helping spur on the team, and having a laugh in the process. Naturally you can't sing the same stock songs for the whole match, cos it'd get fairly boring. So that's why you'll hear people mix it up with ones that are off the cuff, or a bit more obscure.

Admittedly the Forest match was the first 1882 (I think) where we've been next to a vocal group of away fans, which made it very different to how it's been before, and it didn't work as well in my opinion. But without 1882 there on Wednesday, could you imagine just how dead the stadium would've been, apart from the away section? Would we have still won the match without 1882 getting behind the team? Possibly, possibly not.

Come along to block 35 for the Asteras Tripoli match if it's an 1882 match and you'll see what it's normally like. Or even better, come along to the next youth team 1882!
yes we would. the stadium was silent apart form the forest lot after their goal. you might have been singing over there, but not everyone was and it definitely wouldn't have had an impact on the players.

Some of the songs are cringey, I will agree with that. It just seems that some people dont share many of our senses of humour.
1882 works best when everyone in the '1882 block' is belting out WHL athems and the surrounding blocks can join in.

I usually sit in the Paxton as my mate I go to the games with has a ST there and it can be ridiculously quiet down there sometimes. At the QPR came the person behind me kept telling people off for standing up when the game was getting exciting. I think the idea behind the 1882 is great and it is something that other clubs have as well. Whether some of the songs can be cringey doesn't matter. It would be great if we could have the 1882 in 2 separate blocks, Park Lane and Paxton, and then get the whole crowd going

Wherever you get fan movements like 1882 happening, you will get people saying it's cringey etc.

How about letting people support how they want to support. If you want to stand there in silence like the other 99% of the ground, nobody's stopping you, they're just trying to get the minority who like an atmosphere at a football game together.

I don't think you can ignore the criticism of 1882, some of it is well intended and actually quite constructive but I think people need to remember the intentions of it.
You've only bought a ticket in block 35 on Wednesday night because you want to support the team, it's no exclusive club - we all have that same intention.

Some of the songs may be small time but where have people got this mythical idea that our support is anything special? If it was there'd be no need for 1882 or any other fan movement.
We're outsung most home games which I find far more embarrassing than singing "non league songs".

The beauty of 1882 is that you can support your team how you want to support them. If you don't like what's being sung then sing up, you'll have someone join you and you can support the team how you want to support them.

Back
Top Bottom