2015/16 Kit Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tottenham-14-15-Home-Kit.jpg

Tottenham+2014-15+Away+Kit.jpg

Tottenham-Hotspur-14-15-Third-Kit.jpg

I really want to like these kits but I'm just not feeling it. I like the idea of yellow but this is an awful shade IMO. Hopefully it looks better in person.
I like the yellow that's used to trim the home kit
The away and third kit look like Dortmund's this season

So Tottenham now play at home in white and red, with a bit of navy blue.

Quite how this is in keeping with tradition and our greatest teams escapes me.

One of the worst home kits I've ever seen.

That greeny yellow stripe thing on the away shirt is weird and ugly.

Maybe this stuff doesn't matter but I think it does.

Last edited:
Interesting point of view ...

#NeverRed is a small club mentality

After sixteen straight years toiling in obscurity, plagued by the presence of *that* color on our kits, the club ownership finally addressed the gravest problem facing Tottenham Hotspur. Finally, for the first time since the 1996-97 season, Spurs would at last have a kit completely free of red. In one bold stroke Daniel Levy turned the club's fortunes around and helped us achieve the finest season the club has ever seen.

While some might say on-pitch results were perhaps underwhelming and two managerial disasters and player unrest threatened to derail years of patient build up towards the Champions League places, sartorially, at least, we were champions.

But it was all too good to last. Only a year later that same Levy, who had so recently been hailed as the club's savior for our red-less threads, has sold our soul to the reddest country on Earth. China.

Oh and there's three red letters on the kit too. This, for some people, is a problem tantamount to blasphemy, but worse because even the devil is probably at least a Man United fan. Why should three letters comprised of one of nature's three primary colors be so offensive to the Spurs faithful? Because these people are plagued by a small club mentality. The hashtag brigade furiously tweeting 140-character manifestos as they read this are crying out right now about history and pride and self-respect. But it's all a lie.

The history is a lie. The very first crest this club had upon its founding? Red, with a big H on it. For five years before the turn of the century we wore red home kits. And on no fewer than a dozen other seasons since then did we sport red kits. Well before the Woolwich Nomads decided to tacky up North London with their ugly kits, Spurs wore red with pride. But now we have to hide from a third of the color spectrum because Gooners enjoy the color? What right do they have to lay claim to an entire color? We wore it first. We have every right to wear it now.

But surely no self-respecting Spurs fan would be caught dead in Woolwich colors?! And when you see me in an Woolwich strip you can bury me where I stand. But a little red on our own shirts? I'll wear that all day. Why should we care?

The self-respect is a lie. It isn't pride but fear that drives us to define who we are in opposition to Woolwich. We are so afraid of losing our own identity and being swallowed by the other half of North London that we can't tolerate having a color in common with them (never mind that we both wear white and often navy and yellow too).

Tell me a big club that cares about the color of its shirt sponsor beyond its aesthetic value. I'll give you a hint. It's none of them.

For years Spurs fans built their identity as #NotArsenal. To fill the void where trophies and success belong (and unfortunately there are plenty of those voids in our history), we crowed about how un-Woolwich we were. Better trophies than dead but failing that, better dead than red. But this is the mentality of a fan base desperate to be proud of something when there aren't accomplishments to be proud of.

But its time we look beyond the Gooners. Our identity should not be defined as #NotArsenal. We are Tottenham Hotspur. Do you see Woolwich fans crying when their shirts have lilywhite on them? Do United fans live in an existential crisis becauseLiverpool wears red too? Can you imagine Real Madrid panicking over a bit of blue?

We mock West Ham fans for treating every Spurs match as a cup final. Because it's a ridiculous and desperate attempt to find success in a season otherwise devoid of proud moments. This is the small club mentality of a team that defines itself not on its own terms, but in opposition to its betters.

If we want to be the big club we claim to be, it's time to define ourselves on our own terms. We are the pride of North London and we can wear whatever we damn well want.

Have to disagree with this. It's not just about Woolwich, it is just weird to put a color that has never been in your traditional color scheme front and center on your jersey. It makes it even worse when it's the color of your rival. It's not like you see United plastering their kit with light blue or Everton with red on theirs. It's doesn't match the rest of the kit and makes it look aesthetically awful. Then you factor in the rivalry aspect. It's nonsensical no matter what way you slice it.

It's a weird thing to say, but a big part of a good rivalry is colors. It's the most immediate and visceral way that clubs differ. Red fans on one side of the stadium. White and navy on the other. White kits navy shorts, red top white sleaves. It's all part of the best derby in English football. It's tradition. The colors should be kept separate.

Last edited:
I'm not that good at Photo Manipulation, but here goes:

2zz6p75.png

Looks so much better. Also, Lloris had to wear these in one of the photos (It looks bad either way)

2hy7vqq.png

Last edited:
Jb post: 5847Looks i niembNice 5241"]
newkit_zps905743be.jpg
[/quote]
It actually looks pretty nice this way.The wonder if we coulD make a petition to change the sponsor coloranto navy and have a red sponsor on both away and third

Have to disagree with this. It's not just about Woolwich, it is just weird to put a color that has never been in your traditional color scheme front and center on your jersey. It makes it even worse when it's the color of your rival. It's not like you see United plastering their kit with light blue or Everton with red on theirs. It's doesn't match the rest of the kit and makes it look aesthetically awful. Then you factor in the rivalry aspect. It's nonsensical no matter what way you slice it.

It's a weird thing to say, but a big part of a good rivalry is colors. It's the most immediate and visceral way that clubs differ. Red fans on one side of the stadium. White and navy on the other. White kits navy shorts, red top white sleaves. It's all part of the best derby in English football. It's tradition. The colors should be kept separate.

We've had red as a home kit and as an away kit as recently as the 1950's. It's part of our history like it or not.

NeverRed was just a pissy marketing slogan at the back end of the 90's and early 2000's in the same way 'The Real Thing' was one of Coca Cola's.

Too much energy invested in a non argument.

Rubbish - Tottenham's real glory years and the core ethos of the club was built on being the Lillywhites, reaching a peak in the 50s and 60s and playing in White and Navy.

If not liking the new kit is a "small team mentality," I'd be happy to go back to being a "small club" if it means cutting out of the corporate bollocks that's ruining the game. And shedding supporters that are more interested in the balance sheet and growing the Chinese/ Malaysian/Us market than connecting with a team ethos and collective identity.

If people want to shell out £50 for a hideous shirt with AIA in red on it, then fine. Just don't criticise me for not liking it. And don't tell me that this says anything about the core values of the club that me and my family have supported for nearly 100 years.

Back
Top Bottom