?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tottenham should never say no to playing in Europe, no matter the competition.

If we end up in the Conference league then we should make sure to end the season as the first ever winners of it.

We're not better than the Europa League. If we were we'd win it and carry on. I think the players need to realise that.

If anything it gives a chance for who ever is on the fringes to show what they've got.

Also, Europe is better than no Europe. I'm sure potential spurs players think the same when weighing up whether to sign.

Edit: tbh, I don't care where we finish this season as long as it's ahead of the goons. I don't think this season can finish quick enough.

Last edited:
Tottenham should never say no to playing in Europe, no matter the competition.

If we end up in the Conference league then we should make sure to end the season as the first ever winners of it.
Sure if we use it solely as a tournament to blood young players, but why the fuck would we want our players to risk injury in a competition thats only going to clog up our fixture list.

How funny would it be if the punishment for the ESL teams is two years in the conference though.

Since we're not getting top 4, am I the only one who would rather we finished 8th?

If we get in Europa league again, we're just gonna stay in the europa cycle Woolwich have been stuck in for years. It's a ridiculously long competition that significantly impacts performance in the league and domestic cups. We'll likely end up crashing out in the QF, by which point we'll have already damaged our league performance enough to have missed out on top 4 again.

As for the conference league, I doubt the new manager would take it seriously. Plus we're a joke if we win it, and a joke if we don't. Meaningless competition.

As for the money we'd miss out on... "Group stage participation in the Europa League awarded a base fee of €2,920,000". You couldn't even buy 1/10th of Moussa Sissoko for that (based on the price we paid anyway). As for the conference league, we'd probably get about a fiver. Either way, the money from europe outside of the CL isn't hugely significant.

As for players not wanting to come because we're not in Europe... I think it's very clear most players don't care about Europa. I think players care about CL, but ultimately they care about money. Being in Europa or not is not a deal breaker for any top player. If anything, it's a selling point not having to fly to Azerbaijan on a thursday.

Yes, we need to win a trophy soon. But Carbao and FA cup are a lot less matches to win, and we could play a stronger team if we weren't juggling Europa as well. It would also give the new manager time to actually coach the team, rather than constant fixtures.

I also think finishing outside of Europe would force Levy to invest in the team. If we get europa and narrowly miss out on CL, he'll think 'we're close' and that bringing in some cheap manager will get us back in CL. Finishing 8th would show we're miles off and need heavy investment - otherwise ENIC can totally forget selling us for billions if we look like a mid-table team with no European football.

One final thing to note: the season Chelsea finished outside of europe, they won the league next season.

This concludes my short essay.

TL;DR: Obviously top 4 would have been better. But top 4 is gone now. Therefore, I think finishing 8th and missing out on Europe for one season would be better for us overall. Thoughts?
This.

We were stuck in a vicious Ropey League cycle for 10+ years too let's not forget. It's a tedius 2nd rate competition we're not geared up to win that simply hinders our league and even domestic cup form.

Sure if we use it solely as a tournament to blood young players, but why the fuck would we want our players to risk injury in a competition thats only going to clog up our fixture list.

How funny would it be if the punishment for the ESL teams is two years in the conference though.
Stops the prep for the priority games too - even if first team players are on bench. Basically if you are playing Saturday to Saturday (bar the league cup weeks), you have a day or two recovery, then two or three hard days ahead of Friday and Saturday to work on tactics and specifics. In theory players are fitter, better recovered and better prepared. One season out of it is fine IMO

I'm not thinking about Europe next season, but just want to see us try and win our remaining games. Just basic stuff - energy, desire, pride, attacking when on the ball. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be something just to rediscover some of that again.

Lot of upsides to missing Europa. Less to do in the transfer market as we could have a slightly smaller squad. More time for a new manager to coach the team. Less fatigue. A kick up the arse for our board. More Saturday matches, who knows even a few at 3pm. Lets not even start on the Europa conference.

This club never takes Europa League seriously so it's just a waste of time. Look at the state of the performances that got us eliminated last few times: 3-0 Zagreb, losing to Gent, 5-1 aggregate against Dortmund. A waste of time for these bottlers imo.

If we don’t get in the Europa league places then I don’t want to get in the european conference league. It will just be an albatross round our necks. The Europa league will be better next season. It’s a smaller competition (32 instead of 48 teams) and the winners still qualify for the champions league. I know we as a club are allergic to winning anything but it might be our best route into the champions league next season. We should have been good enough to win it this year really.

8th gives us the chance to gut the squad and only have one game a week next season. Plus gives the new manager time on the training pitch to work with the player, which let’s be fair, they desperately need.

Are people suggesting they'd rather finish below Woolwich, so that we don't play in Europe ?

Which is sadly what it might come to, subject to Everton of course.

Since we're not getting top 4, am I the only one who would rather we finished 8th?

If we get in Europa league again, we're just gonna stay in the europa cycle Woolwich have been stuck in for years. It's a ridiculously long competition that significantly impacts performance in the league and domestic cups. We'll likely end up crashing out in the QF, by which point we'll have already damaged our league performance enough to have missed out on top 4 again.

As for the conference league, I doubt the new manager would take it seriously. Plus we're a joke if we win it, and a joke if we don't. Meaningless competition.

As for the money we'd miss out on... "Group stage participation in the Europa League awarded a base fee of €2,920,000". You couldn't even buy 1/10th of Moussa Sissoko for that (based on the price we paid anyway). As for the conference league, we'd probably get about a fiver. Either way, the money from europe outside of the CL isn't hugely significant.

As for players not wanting to come because we're not in Europe... I think it's very clear most players don't care about Europa. I think players care about CL, but ultimately they care about money. Being in Europa or not is not a deal breaker for any top player. If anything, it's a selling point not having to fly to Azerbaijan on a thursday.

Yes, we need to win a trophy soon. But Carbao and FA cup are a lot less matches to win, and we could play a stronger team if we weren't juggling Europa as well. It would also give the new manager time to actually coach the team, rather than constant fixtures.

I also think finishing outside of Europe would force Levy to invest in the team. If we get europa and narrowly miss out on CL, he'll think 'we're close' and that bringing in some cheap manager will get us back in CL. Finishing 8th would show we're miles off and need heavy investment - otherwise ENIC can totally forget selling us for billions if we look like a mid-table team with no European football.

One final thing to note: the season Chelsea finished outside of europe, they won the league next season.

This concludes my short essay.

TL;DR: Obviously top 4 would have been better. But top 4 is gone now. Therefore, I think finishing 8th and missing out on Europe for one season would be better for us overall. Thoughts?
Not sure I 100% agree. But it was instrumental in Lecister City winning the title. Also the impact on the fitness of key players Kane Son ect would help. It would also give these players no place to hide regard their own under achievements. The coefficient arguments will ring very hollow if for example Woolwich next year play Wednesday Saturday all season and get a champions league place following year.

It would have to be a deliberately targeted plan with the club targeting acquisition to maximise the strategy. For example the home grown issue would take a back seat. It could definitely work i just don't think the people running g our club are smart enough to do it.

Fuck the europa league - ridiculous competition that drains the squad flying to the arse end of Bulgaria to play a bunch of plumbers every other week for the first 3 months of the season.

If I remember rightly the first time we finished in the CL spots under Redknapp we weren't pissing about in the Europa League.

Would much rather we didn't have to deal with it particularly with the rebuild that needs to happen next season.

Are people suggesting they'd rather finish below Woolwich, so that we don't play in Europe ?

Which is sadly what it might come to, subject to Everton of course.
They won’t catch us, Everton will be the more likely challenge

I remember when the Europa league was laughed at by woolwich , Man Utd and the other so called big clubs . I would prefer to be in it if we take it seriously ,unlike this season’s shite ending .

Fuck the europa league - ridiculous competition that drains the squad flying to the arse end of Bulgaria to play a bunch of plumbers every other week for the first 3 months of the season.

If I remember rightly the first time we finished in the CL spots under Redknapp we weren't pissing about in the Europa League.

Would much rather we didn't have to deal with it particularly with the rebuild that needs to happen next season.
the Europa league should be a straight knock out until the last 8 and then play two 4 team leagues with the top 2 of the groups play two semis and a final

and tier the first rounds based on european coefficients

no parachute teams from the ECL

Back
Top Bottom