A dose of reality

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has there been a time in football when a club has accepted 10% of the players value for a guy that was their best player and highly coveted?

Maybe it is because nobody asks, but it is more likely that it makes zero sense.
And forget any individual bid or negotiation. Over an extensive course of dealing with all sorts of parties on football and non-football matters, Levy has developed a toxic and harmful reputation as someone who cannot be trusted and must be dealt with suspiciously and carefully.

Penny wise, pound foolish.

Why can't Joe Lewis foot the bill for a naming rights deal? Sell $400m worth of art and name our ground "The Tavistock Arena" then front load our naming rights payments to finance transfers and a top manager? Is it because he can't hire some lawyers and accountants to make this a reality in the way Man City have done with their Etihad bullshit? Or is it because he is an old, greedy cunt who doesn't give a shit about Spurs and wants to have a valuable asset that has risen in line with the rise of The Premier League, without putting in any of his own dough?

Keep apologising for this guys greed with well-worded, rational bullshit, whilst our fans pay some of the highest prices in world football.

BuT aT lEaSt We ArE dOiNg It ThE rIgHt WaY!
"Joe, you can't take it with you"
"Says who"

428-ECD88-F406-4030-B114-879-E03-E0-E8-EA.jpg
This is nonce sense

Villa are selling Grealish

They are just spending the money first
There's also the fact that Villa's ownership group is the 3rd wealthiest in the PL (behind City and Chelsea)... Nassef Sawiris's net worth is $9.2 Billion (per Forbes), > double Joe Lewis's net worth of around $4 Billion.

The Mercurial No.10 The Mercurial No.10 I know how you like converting $ to £ for the group.

Last edited:
There's also the fact that Villa's ownership group is the 3rd wealthiest in the PL (behind City and Chelsea)... Nassef Sawiris's net worth is $9.2 Billion (per Forbes), > double Joe Lewis's net worth of around $4 Billion.

The Mercurial No.10 The Mercurial No.10 I know how you like converting $ to £ for the group.

They will probably continue to spend quite heavily, as even though FFP is watered down, selling Grealish for c. £100m is 100% FFP profit for them - they can spread the write down of any incoming transfers over their contract length.

They will probably continue to spend quite heavily, as even though FFP is watered down, selling Grealish for c. £100m is 100% FFP profit for them - they can spread the write down of any incoming transfers over their contract length.
Keen to bet Grealish won’t go to City?

Getting Jose or Conte and not having a big budget in this league is stupid, no two ways about it, they want elite players. Nagelsmann and Ten Hag fit the profile of the type of managers who can potentially working within our restrictions and no you can’t haggle the likes of a RB like Hakimi valued at £60m plus down to £20m.

I am not moaning at our budget I am moaning at our strategy. You can haggle a bit down, maybe shave 10-20% off, you ain’t shaving 60-70% off lots of players because that is what we would need to do to buy elite with how much we spend.
Don't forget even if we do haggle and settle on less, Levy has been known to swing in at the last minute and haggle for even less....Grealish for example.

He's just a cheap bastard all around, that's it. Even if Paratici does go out and find decent players, we all know that it won't be off his "A" list or "B" list but probably his "C" list.

I think the reality for me is you look at that England squad and you see Mings, Phillips and Mount and 3 years ago they were where?

Since the World Cup and us having so many players in that England squad we have fallen off a cliff.

Not one of lur players, and I include Kane in that has got better. Not one.

Utterly shameful. That is reality right there.

Last edited:
I think the reality for me is you look at that England squad and you see Mings, Phillips and Mount and 3 years ago they were where?

Since the World Cup and us having so many players in that England squad we have fallen off a cliff.

Not one of lur players, and I include Kane in that has got better. Not one.

Utterly shameful. That is reality right there.
We’ve also failed to hoover up any up and coming Championship players and freshen our squad. 2/3 of that Eng squad have played Champ football yet we go looking for value in the French league instead

We’ve also failed to hoover up any up and coming Championship players and freshen our squad. 2/3 of that Eng squad have played Champ football yet we go looking for value in the French league instead

Yep, at every level in terms of player acquisition through to development once with us, we have gone backwards.

No team gets it right all the time, even those with bottomless pockets but we have got it wrong too often in the last 3 or 4 years.

The chance to build was there, it was missed and now we are paying the price.

Theoretically it shouldn't matter how much much owner is worth.
It should boil down to income generated and Villa can't be anywhere near us.

But we all know FFP is little more than a crutch of ENIC to lean on as an excuse.

Back
Top Bottom