A few questions

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think a LOT is weighing on the midfield. Højbjerg and Winks was a woeful pairing. Hope to not see it again. Same player but one with more Tatts. The introduction of Sissiko didn’t nowt to improve it. Too much was asked of Doherty and he was gassed early as a result and was given no protection

We lacked any form of dynamism in there. In theory, I would have preferred Dele to drop deeper if anything (though he himself looked way off). Hopefully Lo Celso’s return might see some thrust there. Ndombele, as plodding and ineffective as he was, did at least look to break lines... really hoping that some match sharpness helps him with the simple things.

It was a really insipid performance and I am doing my best to reserve criticism this early on, especially of PEH. But, you know.... fucking hell that stunk.

Worrying thing is that in the doc, he’s always telling them press high, don’t get your head down, nothing can affect you in the game, you don’t have time to regret, no regrets, enjoy, play, the most important thing in life and football is friendship, win the second ball......

In ten months, has one cunt listened to him?

Not even close imo. We'd be lucky if even two made it into their squad.
You wouldn’t have said that before Jose left though, and the only player that’s done anything of note for them since he left is Bruno Fernandes.

That’s my point, this squad is lacking but it has potential. Potential that it cannot realise under the current manager.

They brought in the PE teacher and all of a sudden Pogba is playing his best football with Marital, rashford and greenwood all looking like goal threats.

Does anyone have a clue as to which Spurs players have had Covid (other than N'Dombele)? Mourinho said several did over the summer and recovered but their names haven't been publicised.

I'll say it again. For 15 mil a year. State art training ground wheres the coaching in a year. It looks thrown together. We play out from back then smash it. Front 4 have little to no movement. If harry redknapp took over tomorrow in hypothetical terms this would be the team Thursday.
Hugo
Doherty toby tanganga sess/davies
Hojberg lo celso
Ndombele
Bergwin kane son

Lol. You think harry would play a 4-3-3? Seriously?

Can I start off by saying I'm not a spurs fan. I always kept a eye on them as my best make growing up loved spurs. I'm a United fan.
When Jose came to united I was OK with it as I thought we need to win the league again and he would do it. Nice football would come later i thought. Well as you all know it ended in a shit show with half the team hating mourinho and wanting to leave. It all started falling apart when his number 2 left.
After watching the amazon documentary the one thing I noticed was the pressure Jose puts on mistakes. You can see it in the players v Everton no one wanted to take a risk they all play safe. The biggest thing to change at United with ole is he let's the players play. Might not always work but he tries to take the pressure off the forwards.
I will end this long post by saying I hope spurs have a good season , I can't stand Woolwich and hate lfc evan more. Good luck.

Why can’t we trap a ball?
Always spins off us and every other team we play are concise in their ball control and passing.

Which brings me to my next question/
Why can’t we pass? Did you see Leeds? Everton? Watch any game and teams can pass to each other.

Is our “tactic” counter attack football?
Because we aren’t very good at that.....still 17 nothing passes to get to the edge of the box while the oppo are bish bash bosh, get a shot off.

Why is our team so slow?
When will this hell end?
It's because of Poch, Sammy. That chubby fucker took us from CL finalists to relegation fodder. Am I getting warm?

You didn't say you were seeking genuine answers so I figured this was a 'Sammy-question' leading somewhere. I hope I got the right answer. I gotta be close.

It's because of Poch, Sammy. That chubby fucker took us from CL finalists to relegation fodder. Am I getting warm?

You didn't say you were seeking genuine answers so I figured this was a 'Sammy-question' leading somewhere. I hope I got the right answer. I gotta be close.
The regression is over 18 months in the making.
People can try and rewrite history all they like, but every single player that went to shit, did so under Poch.
The question now is, why is the damage so ingrained?

Why can’t we trap a ball?
Always spins off us and every other team we play are concise in their ball control and passing.

Which brings me to my next question/
Why can’t we pass? Did you see Leeds? Everton? Watch any game and teams can pass to each other.

Is our “tactic” counter attack football?
Because we aren’t very good at that.....still 17 nothing passes to get to the edge of the box while the oppo are bish bash bosh, get a shot off.

Why is our team so slow?
When will this hell end?
But we have improved the team in this window

:memelol:

I don't think I've ever felt so depressed after just one opening day loss. It's the fact that so many things seem so wrong and disjointed with the team I see little cause for optimism. Seeing the Amazon sideshow doesn't help either.

Creativity in midfield is non-existent (only Lo Celso seems to be able to get his foot on the ball) and our forward line just aren't getting enough of the ball consequently.

The transfer recruitment thus far has been no where near enough. For me, it's just fucking pointless hiring the likes of Jose if you're not willing to throw some money at the team. The demise of this team is painful.

The regression is over 18 months in the making.
People can try and rewrite history all they like, but every single player that went to shit, did so under Poch.
The question now is, why is the damage so ingrained?
Because it's been since the 2018 window with Poch calling for a rebuild that spring that we have needed to actually rebuild Sammy. Many of these players need to go...yesterday. And though I absolutely did not want Mou's negative football here I will not blame much of this on him (those crazy tactical changes aside) as I did not blame Poch for it either. It's the players. It was then and it is now. Even though you were ahead of most on Dele IMO you were still behind and you are missing it on most now. It's the players and no manager will get a tune out of this group.

The players survived on the press and having Dembele breaking the lines on the dribble...or teams were concerned about that and our other players had time and space provided for them. Now that things have changed our players still can't create their own time and space and are accustomed to just running forward and looking for someone (formerly CE) to drop it in for them. Now you are seeing their warts. The real movement they cannot do. The only person moving with some degree of footballing sense the other day was Bergwijn. He was running away from Ndom he was dropping into positions for passes, uncomfortable positions for our other players that cannot control a ball in tight spaces. The rest were standing still or running straight. Be my guest and have a 2nd look (if you can stomach it lol).

We're not set up in any kind of atracking formation. You watch City, Pool, Woolwich, Leeds and even the likes of Brighton, Wolves and Sheffield; each of them have pre learned movements and shapes with which to retain possession and work the ball up the field, create chances. We seem to have defensive shape, a diagonal pass to RB, and nothing more. Inept.

Our team is not athletic enough. We cannot have a defense ft. Toby, Dier and Davies. There just isn't enough legs there. Not just against Everton, we are so vulnerable to mid/long range balls into the channels against players like Richarlison and even Dwight Gayle toward the end of last season.

Look, I'll try and support this guy for 10-15 games at the very least and hopefully he can instil something into the squad, but it's not looking great. Son, Kane, Dele, Lucas seem incapable of retaining possession, Winks, Sissoko and Davies not up to standard. Sess, Ndombele, Bergwijn have struggled to find rhythm and fluency in a poorly functioning team.

When was the last time we really imposed ourselves as a side on another team? We used to strangle the life out of our opposition and steam roller them.

Has that happened since Dembele left?!

Our approach to games is depressing.

I don't think I've ever felt so depressed after just one opening day loss.

This.

I have come to the conclusion that following Spurs is like having sex without the climax.
It's fun for a while but ultimately a massive let down.

I'm going to watch non-League this evening. £6. Looking forward to it far more than Thursday!

Worrying thing is that in the doc, he’s always telling them press high, don’t get your head down, nothing can affect you in the game, you don’t have time to regret, no regrets, enjoy, play, the most important thing in life and football is friendship, win the second ball......

In ten months, has one cunt listened to him?
I’m not convinced on that though. We seem to be playing with a deeper defensive and MF line than we ever did under Poch. You can’t press high with a deep line, and it you do it’ll be too easily bypassed.

Obviously none of us are privy to the full managerial instructions, but if he wants us to press high he needs the defence and MF at least 10 yards higher up the pitch.

This.

I have come to the conclusion that following Spurs is like having sex without the climax.
It's fun for a while but ultimately a massive let down.

I'm going to watch non-League this evening. £6. Looking forward to it far more than Thursday!
Same here (although Mourinho is main reason I don't watch Spurs).
Our local 1st team is £8. Reserves only £3. Been to all homes so far. seating area shut but plenty of space for us 100 max speccys. Let's go.

Back
Top Bottom