Aaron Lennon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Loved this players to bits before, but imo, he's responsible for his own downfall.

I mean, some of his games a few years ago ... woah. I genuinely thought he would become a top player. But sadly, for some reason, recently it just came across like if he didn't want to make that next step over ... Like he really didn't care for it much. He's probably, for me, just gonna fall in one of those categories where I rather remember him what what he was before, than what he is now. I'd sell him.

Loved this players to bits before, but imo, he's responsible for his own downfall.

I mean, some of his games a few years ago ... woah. I genuinely thought he would become a top player. But sadly, for some reason, recently it just came across like if he didn't want to make that next step over ... Like he really didn't care for it much. He's probably, for me, just gonna fall in one of those categories where I rather remember him what what he was before, than what he is now. I'd sell him.

He's been shit since we appointed WHN, but then so has virtually everyone else, we had a squad that suited fast flowing attacking football and decided that we should employ tactics that are the complete opposite.

He finds it very difficult to pass to his own players, is my point.
One of the biggest fallacies regarding Lennon is his apparent inability to cross the ball.

He generally beats the man and gets the ball into a decent area, after that you want your striker to attack the fucker, or at least try.

Lamela on the other hand is misplacing passes with zero pressure on him in midfield, if people can't see the difference then they are brain-dead.

One of the biggest fallacies regarding Lennon is his apparent inability to cross the ball.

He generally beats the man and gets the ball into a decent area, after that you want your striker to attack the fucker, or at least try.

Lamela on the other hand is misplacing passes with zero pressure on him in midfield, if people can't see the difference then they are brain-dead.
You see what you want to see, it's all about opinions.

Mine is that Lennon can't cross the ball to save himself. I'm extremely comfortable with that point of view and you'll not persuade me otherwise by calling me brain dead.

You see what you want to see, it's all about opinions.

Mine is that Lennon can't cross the ball to save himself. I'm extremely comfortable with that point of view and you'll not persuade me otherwise by calling me brain dead.
The brain-dead comment wasn't directed at you per se, it was directed at people that class crosses that no one gets on the end of and shite misplaced passes in the midfield as one and the same.

I think he definitely improved his crossing from his early days. The problem is, when he first arrived on the scene his final ball was very weak, but he improved that while everyone else still said he couldn't cross to save his life. Of course he was never going to be putting Beckhamesque balls into the box, but he wasn't useless either.

I think his crossing massively improved around our CL season, as did his finishing, but he went downhill quickly after that.

It's not that I don't think he was never able to do it, but I don't think he can now.

Not many, since it's the lowest % way to get the ball into the box. Lamela may misplace more passes, but he's also attempting more, and successfully creating more chances of better quality. A cross through the box is a lower quality pass than a throughball splitting the defense. That's why Lamela isn't getting sold and Lennon is.

"Opta stats show that in the last four Premier League seasons Lennon has attempted just 205 crosses from 95 games. In that time he has only managed 46 accurate crosses, that is almost one every two games. For a 'first-class' winger, that is not good enough."
http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/02/1...n-stats-suggest-a-change-in-position-for-eve/

"Opta stats show that in the last four Premier League seasons Lennon has attempted just 205 crosses from 95 games. In that time he has only managed 46 accurate crosses, that is almost one every two games. For a 'first-class' winger, that is not good enough."
http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/02/1...n-stats-suggest-a-change-in-position-for-eve/
Fuck stats. If he gets to the byline and delivers a ball to the penalty spot or thereabouts he's done his job. The strikers need to get on the end of it.

I've always liked Lennon and for me he'll go down as a great exciting player and I'm very glad to have seen him play live. I'll always remember his last minute goals against Woolwich and Liverpool, his winner against Chelsea. Him ripping Man Utd apart in the cup final, giving Evra a torrid time whenever we played them, as well as his debut season with us where he was ripping full backs apart, his outstanding performance at Highbury, his performances in the Champions League, especially against AC Milan.

But for whatever reason, he's NEVER pushed on. Maybe it was the players around him that made him excel, in his debut season he had Carrick feeding him balls and he was full of confidence and willing to beat a man. We sold Carrick and even though he was still quick and his following season provided some nice moments, he wasn't as good as his previous season. We then signed Modric, integrated Huddlestone into the side etc and he began to flourish again, added the likes of VDV over the years and he was at his best.

Modric went, Redknapp went, van der Vaart went and he stalled. Getting progressively worse every season. Still capable of causing problems when he wants but as someone mentioned, when it's his defensive work that gets the biggest praise nowadays, it's probably time we let him go. Anything over £1,000,000 would be fine for me as we'd have made some sort of profit. May seem low for someone of Lennons history and longevity at the club but if he's not wanted, no point holding out for the ridiculous £9,000,000 quoted, especially with 1 year left on his contract.

A shame that it's come to this really as the guy really could have had well over 500+ appearances for the club by the time of his retirement if he had pushed on or stayed consistent which is impressive in modern day football.

Fuck stats. If he gets to the byline and delivers a ball to the penalty spot or thereabouts he's done his job. The strikers need to get on the end of it.
:dembelewtf:

I've see a lot of bullshit laid out in this place, but this is one of the more special things I've see in some memory.

Send him to train with the kids, he's not in our plans.....

because our plans wont consist of having to defend against players with his ability which is a damn sight more of a threat than having lamela going at them.

:dembelewtf:

I've see a lot of bullshit laid out in this place, but this is one of the more special things I've see in some memory.
Why?
apart from a deliberate cut back, most wingers who aim to cross into the box are playing percentage balls into areas they expect strikers to run in to. If no-one bothers to make the run are you expecting a winger to simply stop what he's doing and wait for a calling runner?

wingers like Lennon when they attack the fullback are going to cross as soon as they get past, or see a gap to cross through, they are not going to agonise over whether one of their strikers or attacking midfielders are ideally placed for what they are about to sling over.
As Aberdeen Yid was saying, what Lennon's problem was, was the inconsistency of (the quality of) the final ball.

As Aberdeen Yid was saying, what Lennon's problem was, was the inconsistency of (the quality of) the final ball.
What about the extreme predictability of his game? If I have to see him take about 10 steps toward the box, then run to the byline only to deliver a shitty cross or have it get blocked, I think I'll go crazy.

Back
Top Bottom