Aaron Lennon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One of my closest friends. Becoming a family man is what did for him.
Good for your friend (and I don't mean that facetiously) but what if you are already a family man, or have no hope of becoming one? Poor Aaron is living the dream for most of us on here - it's a mistake to confuse personal circumstances with a way out imo.

Good for your friend (and I don't mean that facetiously) but what if you are already a family man, or have no hope of becoming one? Poor Aaron is living the dream for most of us on here - it's a mistake to confuse personal circumstances with a way out imo.
That was his personal reality. I'll not talk about his own experience any more as it's not my place.

For Lennon I can imagine it could well be more of an existential crisis, like a lot of footballers have in the twilight. In which case he needs help figuring out what's next and who is he without a ball at his feet. No offence to his family, but they don't come into that. Or it could be a hundred other reasons with nothing to do with football.

Who knows, at least he has help of the club and his family. A lot more than a lot of others get.

But I know a few people who have beaten both crippling anxiety and depression. Then again I know a couple more who haven't and one who decided to give up.

Its best to chase the positive outcome imo.

This is really terrible news. I hope those going to West Ham will give a good rendition of "one Aaron Lennon" One of my favourite players of recent years. You don't know the things going on in his life but I think he was gutted to leave Spurs and London. They get all the money and everything but the downside is that 1 minute you can be at a place you're happy and then next you're told you have to move to a different city, different house, different work colleagues and it doesn't always work out.

I think he was especially good mates with Jenas and Hudd so hopefully they're helping him out at the moment.

Its best to chase the positive outcome imo.

Yes of course, but it's a platitude when you're really suffering - I know mate - the idea of a positive outcome is abstract - it's what people don't understand. It's extremely frustrating, and out of the 31 people I've seen about this, only one person got it. Yes there is help out there, but it's so hit and miss. Far better to confront the reality imo - I wasted 5 years of my life thinking I was going to be 'cured'. I'm better for accepting I'm not going to be the same person I was before.

Yes of course, but it's a platitude when you're really suffering - I know mate - the idea of a positive outcome is abstract - it's what people don't understand. It's extremely frustrating, and out of the 31 people I've seen about this, only one person got it. Yes there is help out there, but it's so hit and miss. Far better to confront the reality imo - I wasted 5 years of my life thinking I was going to be 'cured'. I'm better for accepting I'm not going to be the same person I was before.
Sorry to hear that mate, and I agree it sounds like a platitude when you're stuck in a fog. All you want is a little clear space to be able to think your way out but it never seems to come.

I hope you find yours some day.

Lot of people speaking about mental health as if it's a physical ailment. "Hope you make a full recovery, get well soon". Once your mind breaks it doesn't just fix itself like the body would. Don't think a lot of people fully understand that.

You'll never be the exact same after something like this. You don't recover. You either find positive habits that help you cope and recover somewhat or you get worse.

Don't agree with that mate, some people get rid of the black dog.

I can well imagine he's in crisis though, he was always a homely lad and his life has been upside down for a couple of years.
I got rid of it. Took a long time though. Sad to hear that Aaron Lennon's embarking on that hard journey.

It's well known Aaron was a drinker. His people are saying he has a stress related illness. Just like Bruno's family had no choice but to section him due to drug addiction which induced psychosis maybe he's suffering from the effects of addiction, which is a mental illness in itself.
Whatever reason Aaron is sectioned for I wish him all the best in his recovery.
Mental illness comes in lots of forms and most have suffered with it. Yet it's still stigmatised. How many people are depressed at some stage. Some just find different ways of dealing with it. Some ways exaggerate, some control it. Some have the means to treat it, some don't , and you'll pass some on the streets in doorways everyday.
There is a major lack of funding for mental health at present and the attitude towards treatment is disgusting. Just have a close one suffering and you'll find out how hard it is.
Get well soon Aaron. I really hope you do.

Really sad and sorry to hear that Aaron Lennon was detained last night under the Mental Health Act after concerns for his welfare.
A player I liked a lot during his time here. Hope all is well and he gets himself sorted soon.

Last edited:
Having been close to someone with mental health, I know it changes lives. The spectrum is long and wide and everyones condition can vary. Its a case of time and patience and taking each day by day. Its a shame to hear it about him and lets not forget the many others out there. Lets all hope for everyone...

Back
Top Bottom