Aaron Lennon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If he's not going to be in the first team (as he shouldn't) or the squad (as he shouldn't), then he shouldn't take up a place in training either. Training should be used for getting players to gel together, get used to movements of others, etc. what's the point in having someone doing that when they won't play?

I'm sorry it's ended like this for Lennon, but ended it has. I'm glad we are ripping off the Elastoplast and not doing it slowly.
i get what your saying but half the players in training wont play on a saturday. a decent amount are just cup players really.

What's their past got to do with anything? Who cares how they behaved at a previous club. Surely, it's more important how they act at Tottenham? Poch gave these players a chance. You seem to forget that Adebayor, Capoue and Kaboul (I imagine these idiots were the ones you were referring too) were starting at the start of the season? Luckily, Poch gave up on them, like the players did weeks before and we finally actually started performing.
iam saying its highly unlikely they all suddenly misbehaved for poch. poch is too strict for my liking.
& why did all the well behaved players suddenly stop performing for a huge chunk of the 2nd half of the season.
maybe poch wasnt strict enough.

i get what your saying but half the players in training wont play on a saturday. a decent amount are just cup players really.
Aye, but Lennon isn't going to play at all, is he? I doubt Pritchard is going to start many games, but he'll still be training as if he will. Have to cover cup games, sub appearances.

Lennon is gone. Never to return. No point in delaying the inevitable and making training less meaningful.

FWIW, I don't think Lennon is much of a misbehaviour problem. I just think it's hit him that he's West Brom level now and that must be gutting. I doubt he took that well. I fucking wouldn't.

How do you know this? There is being a Ronaldo, a Reus, a Hazard and having a higher opinion of yourself and being Aaron fucking Lennon, someone who has achieved nothing of note in world football. We don't know what Lennon has done, as someone mentioned he could be wanting to train with the youth, who knows. But if we're basing it off what the majority of us know, it's because Lennon thinks he's bigger than what he actually is, a proper big time charlie who's happy to just take a paycheck every month.
i am probably wrong but i am just thinking logically & how i would feel about it all if i was in there shoes.
just an opinion. not claiming its a fact.

Aye, but Lennon isn't going to play at all, is he? I doubt Pritchard is going to start many games, but he'll still be training as if he will. Have to cover cup games, sub appearances.

Lennon is gone. Never to return. No point in delaying the inevitable and making training less meaningful.
fair enough. equally i just dont think he would be a problem, distraction or reduce the effectiveness of the training sessions.
but i understand why some would make him train with the kids. i just dont agree with it.

If he's not going to be in the first team (as he shouldn't) or the squad (as he shouldn't), then he shouldn't take up a place in training either. Training should be used for getting players to gel together, get used to movements of others, etc. what's the point in having someone doing that when they won't play?

So we only train our defenders to defend against teams that attack in the style of play we use. That'll work well when we come up against teams that play with wingers etc....

How do you know this? There is being a Ronaldo, a Reus, a Hazard and having a higher opinion of yourself and being Aaron fucking Lennon, someone who has achieved nothing of note in world football. We don't know what Lennon has done, as someone mentioned he could be wanting to train with the youth, who knows. But if we're basing it off what the majority of us know, it's because Lennon thinks he's bigger than what he actually is, a proper big time charlie who's happy to just take a paycheck every month.

Sorry, the majority know nothing, the majority simply choose to believe what they like.

The majority used to sing "he plays on the left"...

iam saying its highly unlikely they all suddenly misbehaved for poch. poch is too strict for my liking.
& why did all the well behaved players suddenly stop performing for a huge chunk of the 2nd half of the season.
maybe poch wasnt strict enough.

Just my opinion, but I would want the manager running the show, not the players. After all the manager is the one who gets the sack if the team isn't performing. The players carry on to collect their pay cheques week in week out no matter what.

We don't know that Poch has a zero tolerance approach. I'm sure that when he arrived everyone had a clean slate and started at zero. Maybe over the season things happened where it is now deemed that Lennon has no future at the club, so there's no point him training with the squad. I don't know if you've ever coached or played within a team, but having someone training, who has no desire or motivation really brings down the whole squad. Especially if it's a senior player. No matter how great a player is, he's got to know that he's not bigger than the team. You can't send Ronaldo or Messi out to play by themselves, they need the other 10 players to play for them, so I doubt they would show up to training and not give a shit.

And finally, if Kane did happen to show up to training drunk or anything like that, damn right I'd want to see a zero tolerance approach. He as achieved nothing yet, and he certainly won't win us any titles by himself. There's always 11 players on the pitch and they all have to perform to their very best for us to win anything.

So we only train our defenders to defend against teams that attack in the style of play we use. That'll work well when we come up against teams that play with wingers etc....
I'm not sure I said that. In fact, I didn't say that.

I'm sure our defenders are given multitude situations and styles of play to defend against. I don't think we need Aaron Lennon to do this, his presence at training is not going to make or break our defensive performance next season.

Even if he is that essential, what do we do when he retires? Just shut the doors?

I get that you have some personal affinity to Lennon, maybe to players from the CL / Redknapp era, but please don't let that taint every one of your posts. Doesn't make your point any more valid.

Lennon probably doesn't want to be at home rotting and actually wants to play football. Unlike what seems to be happening with Ade.

IMO I do hope that Poch has a zero tolerance. Who ever thinks they are too big for the team should be shipped out. That was SAF's view at manure and it won them quite a few trophies, further to this he won them with bang average players who played together as a team and other managers cannot get the same levels out those players.

Just my opinion, but I would want the manager running the show, not the players. After all the manager is the one who gets the sack if the team isn't performing. The players carry on to collect their pay cheques week in week out no matter what.

We don't know that Poch has a zero tolerance approach. I'm sure that when he arrived everyone had a clean slate and started at zero. Maybe over the season things happened where it is now deemed that Lennon has no future at the club, so there's no point him training with the squad. I don't know if you've ever coached or played within a team, but having someone training, who has no desire or motivation really brings down the whole squad. Especially if it's a senior player. No matter how great a player is, he's got to know that he's not bigger than the team. You can't send Ronaldo or Messi out to play by themselves, they need the other 10 players to play for them, so I doubt they would show up to training and not give a shit.

And finally, if Kane did happen to show up to training drunk or anything like that, damn right I'd want to see a zero tolerance approach. He as achieved nothing yet, and he certainly won't win us any titles by himself. There's always 11 players on the pitch and they all have to perform to their very best for us to win anything.
fair enough i just think theres a middle ground & balance which i prefer to a zero tolerance style.
yeh of course anyone who cant be assed should get taken to task or kicked out.
i just dont believe lennon is that bad or all those players who have been alienated are. some of them yes.

lets agree to disagree because id do the exact opposite to u if kane turned up drunk. u would kock him out & sell him. id try to work with him & get him not to do anything stupid like that again.
i dont agree with selling them if they turned up drunk once.

Lennon probably doesn't want to be at home rotting and actually wants to play football. Unlike what seems to be happening with Ade.

IMO I do hope that Poch has a zero tolerance. Who ever thinks they are too big for the team should be shipped out. That was SAF's view at manure and it won them quite a few trophies, further to this he won them with bang average players who played together as a team and other managers cannot get the same levels out those players.
i think it was a bit of a myth fergies zero tolerance.
theres an endless list of things players have done wrong & he did nothing.

rio drug test. lose a crucial player for 9mths. they keep him. he has also had plenty off the field problems.

rooney openly has stated he wants to leave twice. even said he wants to go their bitter rivals. fergie signs off on a huge pay rise.

giggs has had off the pitch problems.

cantona & the kung fu kick. great attitude eric. banned for ages too. fergie keeps him.

i could go on with players who have commited sins under fergie & he did nothing.

saying u want to leave to your rivals, assulting a fan & getting banned for a long time, missing a drugs test & getting banned for a long time etc

i know cases of zero tolerance like when he got rid of beckham. but there are plenty of cases where he turned a blind eye.

1 of the biggest myths in football is fergies zero telorance. & the hairdryer treatment.
he had to soften up a lot with modern footballers.
u couldnt treat footballers like u did back in the good old days. they are very soft & take criticism to heart.
very sulky & childish.

rio drug test. lose a crucial player for 9mths. they keep him. he has also had plenty off the field problems.

rooney openly has stated he wants to leave twice. even said he wants to go their bitter rivals. fergie signs off on a huge pay rise.

cantona & the kung fu kick. great attitude eric. banned for ages too. fergie keeps him.

i could go on with players who have commited sins under fergie & he did nothing.

saying u want to leave to your rivals, assulting a fan & getting banned for a long time, missing a drugs test & getting banned for a long time etc

i know cases of zero tolerance like when he got rid of beckham. but there are plenty of cases where he turned a blind eye.

1 of the biggest myths in football is fergies zero telorance. & the hairdryer treatment.
u couldnt treat footballers like u did back in the good old days. they are very soft & take criticism to heart.
very sulky & childish.

The thing is, no-one has stated Poch has adopted a zero tolerance policy other than you. From where I sit Poch comes across as an easy going kind of guy, but he also doesn't seem to be the type of guy who will take shit from his players and this to me is the best way to get the best from people.

And to put your point in to context, Lennon is hardly indispensable to the team, he doesn't even have the same importance as Ferdinand, Cantona or Rooney did for Utd and I am pretty certain that if any of those Utd players' actions were to directly undermine Fergie , he would have had them out.

I hope he does have a no nonsense policy. In this world of player power, extravagant lifestyles, wad chucking brats, the manager can't be weak otherwise the lunatics really will take over the asylum. As others have said, nobody has the foggiest idea why Lennon has fallen so far from grace. For all we know, he could have been introducing the ferret to Mrs Levy & wiping his dick on the curtains on his way out. Or he may just have been identified as a spent force at Spurs. Pure speculation. He has been a good servant to the club & I wish him well if he leaves. But all this talk of "disgraceful treatment" is OTT. I wonder how loyal he would have been if Citeh had made a "double your money" offer to him when he was at the top of his game a few years ago?

very sulky & childish.

Yes there are a lot of people who have behaved horrendously and had sanctions from the FA and club, you can sit there and list them off but if they play for the team and give their all to the club then they will stay. Rooney was dropped around these times of requesting moves but Becks became more interested in being a celeb and Ronaldo just couldn't give a shit about the club and thought his performances would keep him there or get his move.
Look at Ade he looks like he doesn't think about Spurs at all, as for Lennon who plods along he is very professional about his business.

As for Rio. He missed a drugs test, so they couldn't really prove is or what he took. Unlike kezman, who rightly got kicked out!

Football is a cut throat world and if they can't take being dropped or shouted at then shouldn't play so yes hair dryer treatment is needed! I think you mean that people are different and need coaching differently, some respond best to being shouted at whilst others need an arm around them and talked through their guidance. But yes if they fuck up they need telling straight and no fannying around with it, not enough time in a match for nicely does it.

As for Lennon really wished he would be good enough for us still. Do hope that he could adapt to the left wing and cut in. Just looks to uncomfortable.

I think you mean that people are different and need coaching differently, some respond best to being shouted at whilst others need an arm around them and talked through their guidance. But yes if they fuck up they need telling straight and no fannying around with it, not enough time in a match for nicely does it.
yeh thats what i mean. i just think his tough approach wont get the best out of players who need a cheeky cuddle rather than alienation.

to me his job is to get the best out of players.

i think it means it will limit which players will work for poch. a bigger limit than most teams.
& we could lose some good players.

i dont rate his man management skills & think he is very stubborn & inflexiable.

we all see different things. i see him as quite moody, stubborn, inflexiable & single minded.

i am pretty certain that if any of those Utd players' actions were to directly undermine Fergie , he would have had them out.

fair enough. but i find that strange. your fine with a player assulting a fan & missing nearly a whole season.
or a player being really unprofessional & missing a season.

but if u want to be a celeb like becks then than thats the end!

just strange morals & principles in my eyes.

fair enough. but i find that strange. your fine with a player assulting a fan & missing nearly a whole season.
or a player being really unprofessional & missing a season.

but if u want to be a celeb like becks then than thats the end!

just strange morals & principles in my eyes.

I'm fine with it? Not me fella, Fergie. Fergie protected his players, that's what he always did. For him it was always about the team, about Man Utd, whenever any external forces such as fans, the media, or drug testing bodies went after his players, he closed ranks and protected them...but if any of those players ever made him look like a cunt or threatened to make it all about them rather than about Utd, he would deal with them in his own way.

Pretty much every comment I've heard from people that have played under poch at espanyol southampton and now us, have been that he's a fantastic man manager. And really its hard to argue otherwise.

For example, would anyone complain at any of the players that have left us so far? Paulinho? Bet you're all gutted about that. Holtby? Nice guy but did fuck all. Kaboul? One good game in about 3 years. Adebayor? Less said the better. Capoue?

Whereas look at the players that have improved. Harry Kane has become god. Ryan Mason and Bentaleb were our first choice centre mid pairing for nearly the whole of last season. Danny Rose was one of our best players. All 3 of the english lads god called up to the England squad for the first time.

Some people need to stop making shit up based on their opinions and just look at the actual facts. Calling the manager a disgrace for making lennon train with the youth is ridiculous. And insulting to the youth players. If players aren't going to earn their place in the squad, then thats on them, not the manager. Besides, when was the last time Lennon did something in a Tottenham shirt that warrants him a place in the squad.

Back
Top Bottom