Alfie Whiteman

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Great shot stopping. Needs to work on his passing.
But FFS why has he not had a loan already??
Alfie Whiteman & Brandon Austin are both 22, but Austin is probably now ahead by virtue of good loans at a decent level. Primarily, Orlando City in the MLS.

sudoku Spursidol Spursidol Would Austin count as HG? Because if so, maybe we could swap our 3rd keepers over at Xmas, keep Austin in the squad and get Whiteman some game time on loan?

Alfie Whiteman & Brandon Austin are both 22, but Austin is probably now ahead by virtue of good loans at a decent level. Primarily, Orlando City in the MLS.

sudoku Spursidol Spursidol Would Austin count as HG? Because if so, maybe we could swap our 3rd keepers over at Xmas, keep Austin in the squad and get Whiteman some game time on loan?
I'm leaving this to SI.
The loans rules are doing my nut in!

Austin and Whiteman will both qualify as Club trained players (under UEFA definitions) and HG under PL definitions.

Yes both need loans - so far Austin has had 2 loans (first at Viborg, second at Orlando City) and will have notched up around 20 odd professional games as GK - not that many but more so than Whiteman who has none.

Perfectly possible to switch the two over at Christmas - biggest issue is to find a club at a decent level to give him games as GK.

Austin has not played since July 8 and my understanding is his loan was for 6 months and that is due to expire soon.
US season goes on until at least Nov 21 so maybe his loan will be extended.

Austin and Whiteman will both qualify as Club trained players (under UEFA definitions) and HG under PL definitions.

Yes both need loans - so far Austin has had 2 loans (first at Viborg, second at Orlando City) and will have notched up around 20 odd professional games as GK - not that many but more so than Whiteman who has none.

Perfectly possible to switch the two over at Christmas - biggest issue is to find a club at a decent level to give him games as GK.
Thanks. So that plan would potentially work in terms of a HG 3rd keeper in the squad, whilst giving our coaches the chance to assess both for their medium & long term potential.

Austin has looked pretty decent on the couple of occasions I've seen him.

bus-conductor bus-conductor I believe you also think Austin has some ability.

Austin has not played since July 8 and my understanding is his loan was for 6 months and that is due to expire soon.
It may be that Austin hasn't played the last couple of matches because the Peruvian keeper, Gallese, has returned from the Copa America.

It may be that Austin hasn't played the last couple of matches because the Peruvian keeper, Gallese, has returned from the Copa America.
I think that the plan was for Austin to cover the Peru guy while he was at the tourney.
Not much use to Spurs if Austin stays and doesn't play.

I think that the plan was for Austin to cover the Peru guy while he was at the tourney.
Not much use to Spurs if Austin stays and doesn't play.

Loans need to be between 2 transfer windows so will always be longer than one tournament.

Peru still have 2 international matches in each of September, October and November so still opportunities to play matches if the Peru gk is not dropped !

Thanks. So that plan would potentially work in terms of a HG 3rd keeper in the squad, whilst giving our coaches the chance to assess both for their medium & long term potential.

I find it hard to assess young keepers, and I have only seen him a few times for the U18’s or U23’s, (maybe a first team friendly?) but every time I saw him he seemed to have a decent enough game. He seemed to do all the basic stuff well enough. I’d like to see him getting properly tested - where is he now, last I remember he was in Denmark wasn’t he?

I find it hard to assess young keepers, and I have only seen him a few times for the U18’s or U23’s, (maybe a first team friendly?) but every time I saw him he seemed to have a decent enough game. He seemed to do all the basic stuff well enough. I’d like to see him getting properly tested - where is he now, last I remember he was in Denmark wasn’t he?
MLS, Orlando City.

But as above, since Austin is HG for all competitions, we could let Whiteman go on loan at Xmas and bring Austin back as the 3rd GK preserving that HG quota in the various 25 man squads.

Also, Nuno's goalkeeping coach could assess both Whiteman & Austin for their potential.

And Nuno himself, since he was a GK. Allegedly.

I have only seen Whiteman in the friendlies. I think his shot-stopping looks decent. Bit flappy on set-pieces. Kicking isn't great. But I'd put the negatives down to nervousness, which stems from a lack of experience. I think a season of senior football somewhere on loan would be great for him.

MLS, Orlando City.

But as above, since Austin is HG for all competitions, we could let Whiteman go on loan at Xmas and bring Austin back as the 3rd GK preserving that HG quota in the various 25 man squads.

Also, Nuno's goalkeeping coach could assess both Whiteman & Austin for their potential.

And Nuno himself, since he was a GK. Allegedly.

When will the Orlando loan end?

When will the Orlando loan end?
LOL. I posted this above.

Austin loan at Orlando brought to an end (no idea why) on Friday.

So it might become clearer whether Austin or Whteman is going on loan next season (or both ?)

Both Whiteman and Austin's contract expire at the end of the season so surely both will be extended.
Then the decision is which one to loan? IMO Whiteman should get a loan but is Austin good enough to be 3rd keeper?

Both Whiteman and Austin's contract expire at the end of the season so surely both will be extended.
Then the decision is which one to loan? IMO Whiteman should get a loan but is Austin good enough to be 3rd keeper?

Austin has been back at Spurs for a week (unless he has hols) so I imagine gk coach will be taking a keen interest in both Whiteman and Austin to evaluate who is better - but I suspect both will have a couple of abilities where one is better than other.

Austin now has about 20 first team appearances in a professional league split over 2 loans, so its not a huge number of appearances, whereas Whiteman has made less than a handfull of appeatances in Spurs friendlies, so not a huge difference there either.

Perfectly plausible that Alfie Whiteman goes on loan for a season to gain experience of playing first team football. This Swedish club just promoted to top tier in Sweden, do imagine that their goalkeeper would need to save a lot of shots to keep them up.

And that would mean Brandon Austin taking the 3rd GK slot at Spurs - he's had about 20 first team games for Viborg (2nd tier in Denmark) and MLS side Orlando City.

Would be good for both players and Spurs

Last edited:

Perfectly plausible that Alfie Whiteman goes on loan for a season to gain experience of playing first team football. This Swedish club just promoted to top tier in Sweden, do imagine that their goalkeeper would need to save a lot of shots to keep them up.

And that would mean Brandon Austin taking the 3rd GK slot at Spurs - he's had about 20 first team games for Viborg (2nd tier in Denmark) and MLS side Orlando City.

Would be good for both players and Spurs

He's gonna love it.

OIP.8Jz97Z2v2a-FoIoyuvKkPAHaD-

Back
Top Bottom