An Historic Day

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

1 league cup in 20 years. How come?

• Our owners don't prioritise winning stuff

• They prioritise winning stuff but are making a complete pigs arse of the job

• All our managers have been shite

• We're just the unluckiest club on the planet

Results are only viewable after voting.
There is only 1 clear answer.

The club has been planning for and building the new stadium. The priority for Redknapp, AVB, Poch was to raise the level of the club such that we are champions league regulars. FA cup and Milk cup were not the priority.

We succeeded; in part due to the collapse of Woolwich and United.

And just as Spurs reach a period of rebuild (as every club does) - Liverpool have risen from the Ashes, United are improving (and will get better when Poch joins in summer) and Chelsea/Woolwich are building very strong squads. Add to that the improvement in other teams around us - Leicester, Wolves.

Mourinho has been brought in to secure top 4 at all costs. With our injury list; I cannot imagine FA Cup will be used to risk injury to players needed for the run in.

ENIC obviously don’t prioritie winning stuff. They’re an investment company, so they invest in tangible assets like the training ground, housing, a huge supermarket, and the stadium. In that respect they have been incredible, and should be applauded. They’ve transformed Spurs into a global brand with facilities second to none. They absolutely nailed the stadium, and ultimately that will be Levy’s legacy in the club history.

We’ve also gone from being a cup team to one of the major contenders in the league. Paradoxically our least successful period in terms of trophies has also been our most successful in terms of league positions. Very few clubs ever make it to the CL final too.

The bottom line is that ENIC have presided over our least successful period in our history. Better managerial decisions/luck might have seen us have another 3 to 4 cups, which isn’t really on ENIC, but frankly if they’re charging the highest ticket prices in the country they should be backing the club more in the market.

At the end of the day it’s in ENIC’s interest for us to be successful, because they want sold out home games and fans spending lots of money. If we continue to fill the stadium when we’re shite, that’s on the fans.

Modern day success is only sustainable with money though. If people can stomach it or not that's a different thing completely.

Outright Winning Carabao Cup = £100k

Outright Winning the FA Cup = £3.6m

Winning a group game in the Champions League = €2.7m

Winning a knockout game in the Champions League = €10.5m (£8.8m)

When it comes tomattracting players, the money is vital to doing so, its the nature of the beast. As fans we all want silverware but the guys who have shares in the ownership of the club and want money in order to invest further? All I'll say is winning 1 knockout round in the Champions League gets the coffers a staggering EIGHT THOUSAND, EIGHT HUNDRED PERCENT MORE than winning the Carabao Cup.

Money helps buy top players, we have protised having the money so that we can grow as a club. It's not glamorous or beautiful but it helps to get us big enough to have beautiful moments Jerry. It's growth and if growth continues 4th becomes 2nd, finalists become winners but of course it's not a natural trajectory always, there's always obstacles like emerging rivals, players wanting to leave, injuries a lack of form, not getting the right players in, morale etc. How we do it is the epitome of the saying it's not a sprint it's a marathon but sadly it's the right way to go about it even if I do believe we should have taken a few more risks here and there matey.

A little bit of all of them I’d say:
They don’t prioritise winning things over financial safety....
The would love to win things but the foundations must be laid first.....
Some managers have been shite, and some have bottled the big occasion....
Unlucky for sure, certainly at the wrong time we have been, a hot firing Kane going into the CL final over what we did get for example.....

The foundations have all but been laid, we have a manager who won’t bottle the big occasion and we are certainly due a run of luck with injuries......Total domination awaits #COYS

It can be argued that ENIC could have been braver at times over these years. There was investment however. Some of our transfers haven't been a success for various reasons, but then again every club faces these problems. I am of the opinion we have a problem in the transfer market due to a bad scouting network and the lack of a director of football. We need to make sure the money we have is spent on the right players.

As for us not winning trophies, beyond ENIC's ambition (or lack of it), there have been other factors, too. There were times when we didn't prioritise cups and lost to awful teams or simply bottled it when we came close to winning trophies. Since we won our last trophy, Wigan and Portsmouth won an FA Cup and Swansea and Birmingham City won the League Cup. There's no way those teams were better than us. So the point is, others could do it and so could have we.

I also believe we could have done a better job during the years we played in the Europa. Among the teams we lost against are Gent, Fiorentina and Basel. I could also add Benfica, but some might be tempted to say they are somehow world beaters, so I'll leave them out.

Johns last post in the Ndombele thread was 22nd October

John has made three posts in the Lo Celso thread. Last one was Aug 8th

John has not made a single post in the Tanganga thread

John made one post in the Bergwijn thread on Jan 26 (3 days before he signed)

John made 4 posts in the Gedson thread, last one Jan 15, the day he signed.

John has made zero posts on the Sessegnon thread

Anyone get the impression that John doesn’t like talking about new players, because if he says they are good, it compromises his agenda that Levy doesn’t invest in the team?

Last edited:
Another thread and poll about ENIC by a self entitled idiot. Great.

Try as you might to push the agenda there’s a Levy cult, there isn’t I’m afraid.

What there is is a group of fans that realise that we have decent owners. They aren’t the best but are nowhere near the worst. This group also understands that we aren’t entitled to win and even if we are in a fallow period of time, there are more issues than ENIC not buying Moutinho or Berahino.

What there also is is a much smaller group that believe Levy is Satan and is to blame for everything that is wrong in their lives. It’s not Levys fault you were born and dropped on your head. Crying about this over numerous threads isn’t going to change anything John. Sooner you accept this and get behind the club, the happier you will be.

GROAN by Mouse

fan: WANT NEW PLAYER
club: Good players cost lots and lots of money
fan: OKAY GET MONEY
club: Sure, we currently prioritise the most lucrative of all the competitions we are in, in order to maximise our revenue and our available transfer budget.
fan: WIN TROPHY
club: Well, a league cup win will pay 1 weeks wages for a low / mid tier player?
fan: DONT CARE WIN TROPHY
club: But......
fan: AND BUY PLAYER

And repeat to fade.

Last edited:
It’s not Levys fault you were born and dropped on your head. Crying about this over numerous threads isn’t going to change anything John. Sooner you accept this and get behind the club, the happier you will be.
Hey, I'm not the one crying, baby. I'm happy as a pig in shit.
Look at me

jovi.gif

Posting polls and threads is fun. You should try it.

Seriously though, I've never known a poster, bitch, cry and gripe and complain about other peoples opinions and comments as much as you.

Other guys I fundamentally disagree with like sammyspurs sammyspurs at least have a sense of humour and show respect.

Try and lighten up a bit mate and just enjoy the forum for what it is.

Or if you can't do that, at least have the decency to put the people or threads ya don't like on ignore.
That option is there for guys just like you

:dierpochhug:

Hey, I'm not the one crying, baby. I'm happy as a pig in shit.
Look at me

jovi.gif

Posting polls and threads is fun. You should try it.

Seriously though, I've never known a poster, bitch, cry and gripe and complain about other peoples opinions and comments as much as you.

Other guys I fundamentally disagree with like sammyspurs sammyspurs at least have a sense of humour and show respect.

Try and lighten up a bit mate and just enjoy the forum for what it is.

:dierpochhug:
I’d rather not post too much to be honest. If I did think anyone gave that much of a shite about my opinion, I might, but I certainly wouldn’t just regurgitate the same garbage over and over again like you do.

Any time I act out, it’s in reaction to you pushing the same old crap again. Give it a rest.

I’d rather not post too much to be honest. If I did think anyone gave that much of a shite about my opinion, I might, but I certainly wouldn’t just regurgitate the same garbage over and over again like you do.

Any time I act out, it’s in reaction to you pushing the same old crap again. Give it a rest.
Use the ignore button.
Then you can enjoy the forum without me spoiling it for you.

Use the ignore button.
Then you can enjoy the forum without me spoiling it for you.
As I said in the ignore list thread, I like to keep the stupid ones around. So no. You continue to post your agenda driven bullshit and I’ll continue to call you out on it.

It’s a shame because I enjoy the way you write. It’s just the content that’s insufferable. I really do hope you are a troll as I’d actually be upset for you if you turn out to just be an idiot.

I still have nightmares about when I saw it was Zokora that was put clean through on goal to try to win us the game. Not one person inside Wembley that day actually though he'd score...

Back
Top Bottom