And if you know your history

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was in Malta and was watching it live on my nephew's laptop. I was in touch with my friend at the game, and everyone seemed to be in shock. I was at the game when Fabrice came back to The Lane (can't remember which one), but he got the biggest reception from our fans, it was very emotional.

Thanks for that. Just discovered a new player I didn't know about before - Mark Kendall:

He was a young goalkeeper who came through our youth ranks and, although he didn't have much success with us, he kept 28 clean sheets for Wolves in 1987/88 as part of their promotion from the old 4th Division and was an ever-present in the team that won promotion to the 2nd Division in the following season.

It's always nice to hear about players who struggled to make the grade with us achieve success elsewhere even if it's not at top flight level.

Great post. The detachment of players from fans is really bad now. At WHL, even in the latter years, you could get a close up view of the players coming in and out, grab an autograph after the game if you were in the West Stand… now there’s the underground car park, players zoom away in blacked out windows, and the training ground is like Fort Knox. They should have open days and other initiatives to bring fans and players together on a human level. We are The Club.
Like a fair few on here, my old man used to take me and my brother to watch us train over Cheshunt. Just used to stroll in, they aren’t real people now more like super heroes to my kids, always love Tottenham as a club but what it and top flight football has become is horrible

I think the early 80s were the best time I had supporting Spurs.
Obv the cups helped but going to every home game.
Great football played
Very good players,
Not always the best players in the world but every single one of them gave everything to the club
Maybe it's rose coloured glasses but there wasn't a prima donna among them, regardless of their individual ability.
Everyone gave 100% on the pitch

I think the early 80s were the best time I had supporting Spurs.
Obv the cups helped but going to every home game.
Great football played
Very good players,
Not always the best players in the world but every single one of them gave everything to the club
Maybe it's rose coloured glasses but there wasn't a prima donna among them, regardless of their individual ability.
Everyone gave 100% on the pitch
Nah, i think you have summed it up fairly well.
It didn't cost an arm and a leg either.
There's much to love about the game and stadia these days,but much to miss from back then as well.

16th December 1978 - my first visit to Old Trafford to see us play.
Went there every season up to and including 1988/89.
Saw us win there twice in the cups, but never in the League.
The first one I miss - 16th December 1989 we win 1-0. :wall:
31st wedding anniversary today.

37 years ago, today.

2000.jpg

I have a vague memory of being at a home game where Gazza scored 2 free kicks against Shilton.

One of them a great free kick.

On the other , Shilton was at one post lining up the wall and Gazza took it very quickly and played it into the opposite side of the goal.
Ref allowed it and Shilton went mad.
🤣🤣🤣

Anyone else remember that?????
Or did I dream it.
Found it.

25th August 1984
Everton 1 Tottenham Hotspur 4

I believe we are still the only two teams to have lost our first game of the season at home by 4-1....
And gone on to win the title.

Saw Mark Kendal play a couple of times,at least for us. I liked him as a kid because on my visits to the Cheshunt training ground,he was always socialable. Like Gazza a few years later,I think he still had something of the kid still inside him. A mate of Mine ,who lived near the ground remembers him having a mud fight with him and his mates during a combination fixture!

Back
Top Bottom