Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
Chadli played how Townsend should be playing, looking to get on the shoulder of his fullback and run onto through balls. I don't know why (maybe he's instructed to, or maybe it's his mentality) but he seemed to come deep for the ball and then run at players. He can get past quite a lot of players, but he's quite slow in getting a ball away and by the time he crosses/passes the opposition have had time to recover and mark up on our players.

He has the pace and he has a fairly decent cross on him, I don't know why he wants to come deep and run at players rather than hug the touchline and beat players with his pace.
He looked very slugish yesterday

I think after last night he was the only player on the field that looked weak. He didn't look up to speed with the rest of them at all.

The ball was moved around quickly yet he insisted on holding the ball. He didn't look all that fast and was shrugged off the ball too easily.

I used to be a big Townsend fan but I'd accept an offer if it was for an adequate amount.
Interestingly he didn't train last week yet played two games in a week

I once saw him choose to pass when an obvious 5-man dribble and shot was on.
Damnnnn.jpg

Not a bad afternoon by Townsend against Manchester United. Important to remember that he's still coming back into form, and was up against a very rapid Young today.

If I'm honest, one of the things I was hopeful of this season (with regards to Poch) was how Townsend might be developed as a player. He offers a direct style of attack, and hopefully will recover from injury with his pace intact. If we go far in the FA Cups and Europa league, then squad rotation will be key. Having him as an option when Lamela or Chadli are unavailable will be important - and the closer we get to the January transfer window, the more it feels like Lennon is out of the door.

Oh, and let's not forget that he's a Yiddo through and through.
:walker-scream:

Not a bad afternoon by Townsend against Manchester United. Important to remember that he's still coming back into form, and was up against a very rapid Young today.

If I'm honest, one of the things I was hopeful of this season (with regards to Poch) was how Townsend might be developed as a player. He offers a direct style of attack, and hopefully will recover from injury with his pace intact. If we go far in the FA Cups and Europa league, then squad rotation will be key. Having him as an option when Lamela or Chadli are unavailable will be important - and the closer we get to the January transfer window, the more it feels like Lennon is out of the door.

Oh, and let's not forget that he's a Yiddo through and through.
:walker-scream:

Two good and intelligent (for his standards) performances in a row. Still a young and inexperienced player. I still believe Pochettino can mould a player out of him. He has ability.

When was he ever on form for us?

When he scored that one accidental goal, from a cross?

He's 24 in the summer, not exactly a prospect anymore. Never going to cut it, shamefully.
I know what you mean. Just wondered if Poch's ways could turn it around somewhat. He definitely improved Jay Rodriguez by leaps and bounds through conditioning/training - but perhaps he's just a better player than Townsend anyway.

When was he ever on form for us?

When he scored that one accidental goal, from a cross?

He's 24 in the summer, not exactly a prospect anymore. Never going to cut it, shamefully.

Doesn't have much experience though. Only about 50 leagues appearances and never really a consistent run in the team. Look at Mason, age isn't always the most important thing in regards to development. It isn't Fifa or FM, development isn't always linear in regards to age.

Doesn't have much experiences though. Only about 50 leagues appearances and never really a consistent run in the team. Look at Mason, age isn't always the most important thing in regards to development. It isn't Fifa or FM, development isn't always linear in regards to age.

He's had 172 appearances in his career, and the most goals he's scored in a season is 2. Two.

Could you describe to me what attributes you think he's got then, that will help him develop into a good player? As a serious question, not an attack.

His crossing is poor.
His shooting accuracy is awful.
He isn't particularly quick.
His dribbling control is decent.
His passing (when he actually does) is average.
He's not a threat in the air.
He isn't particularly strong.
His tracking back is average.
His decision making is awful.
He isn't very creative; very direct and one-dimensional.

What do people see in him...? Some players respond amazingly to Poch's training; I just don't think AT will be one. He will be sold this summer. Only thing keeping him in the squad is Lennons exile.

He's had 172 appearances in his career, and the most goals he's scored in a season is 2. Two.

Could you describe to me what attributes you think he's got then, that will help him develop into a good player? As a serious question, not an attack.

His crossing is poor.

What do people see in him...? He will be sold this summer. Only thing keeping him in the squad is Lennons exile.

Lol mate I'm not going to debate every aspect of Townsend's game with you. Definitely not in the mood for that.

I think he has pace, is very direct, offers something no one else in our team does, works hard, and is proper Spurs. He's not there yet and he's never going to be Bale but I think he'll develop into a decent sub/squad player.

That's really all I have to say about it. Your dislike of his game greatly outweighs my interest in him and I'm not really interested in continuing to argue. I think he could be a solid squad player out of our academy. I consider that to be a positive. Much rather have that than buying in an average player from abroad to take his spot as we have done with Caulker and Livermore.

His crossing is poor.

What do people see in him...? Some players respond amazingly to Poch's training; I just don't think AT will be one. He will be sold this summer. Only thing keeping him in the squad is Lennons exile.
His crossing is poor? To me he's one of our best set piece takers, always seems to put in dangerous balls whether it's a corner or freekick.
His shooting is coming on leaps and bounds, yesterday he had two shots, both were decent and on target.
His pace, your right isn't spectacular but it's decent.
Can't disagree on passing or aerial threat or strength.
Though his tracking back has looked very good recently, really seemed to help Vlad yesterday and spared no effort sprinting back.
His decision making is definitely questionable but it does seem to have improved a lot this season.

I guess we'll find out soon though, the lad's got something and he's shown glimpses of what he can be, let's just hope he can do it.

His yellow yesterday was hilarious, not sure what he was doing. I think he was going to attempt a sliding tackle, but was had too much momentum to stop so slid on his knees into Young.

oh guys..
its like one of you says : He's crap. Grab your torches and pokes n' shit.
Answer : Yes, he WAS shit, but hes def improving..
2nd answer : hes not crap, he does this and that better than player A, F, G and K

me..
Hes crap, i will sell his ass in my football games.
Improving you say... loan him.
HES THAT GOOD ? DECLINE BID, DECLINE BID !!

:paulinhobored::pochwtf:

dont manipulate me pls.

I love this bit from Barney Ronay in his match report

"Here, even as United dominated early on, Kane remained energetically prominent, twice leaping for crosses from right and left, and moments later sending Andros Townsend in for his habitual cut inside followed by low left-foot shot. It is tempting to wonder if Townsend is occasionally rested at the request of the White Hart Lane groundsman, tired of repairing that well-worn L-shaped furrow match after match."

http://www.theguardian.com/football...aal-harry-kane-manchester-united-wayne-rooney

Given a chance due to a small Lamela injury but boy did he take. Was very positive on the ball as always but actually seemed to make the right decisions after he'd got into the right positions! Aside from that defensively he seemed useful and always bust his gut to get back and of course he topped it off with a very cool penalty. New year, hopefully a new Townsend!

Three solid performances on the trot now. Very pleased to see that. Having him and Lamela as RW platoon going forward would be nice if they continue to improve.

Even if you don't like Townsend, you have to admit that penalty showed a lot of fucking bottle.

I love this bit from Barney Ronay in his match report

"Here, even as United dominated early on, Kane remained energetically prominent, twice leaping for crosses from right and left, and moments later sending Andros Townsend in for his habitual cut inside followed by low left-foot shot. It is tempting to wonder if Townsend is occasionally rested at the request of the White Hart Lane groundsman, tired of repairing that well-worn L-shaped furrow match after match."

http://www.theguardian.com/football...aal-harry-kane-manchester-united-wayne-rooney
or this one:

Back
Top Bottom