Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
The more I think about it the more impressive that penalty gets. As someone said, if he doesn't make it we almost certainly lose. Missing a penalty causes heads to go down and shoulders to slump (see: Tottenham at the Ethiad this year). Yet Townsend steps up to take it.

This is a guy who has talked about how he's been frustrated recently with his poor form and inability to push on from his hot start last year. He's also barely played in the league at all. But he is the one who grabs the ball even though he is aware he's out of form etc. For me, that is incredibly impressive. Last year we continually bemoaned our players not standing up to hold themselves accountable. Townsend taking that penalty shows the initiate and mindset we were missing and seem to have found in Kane, Mason, Eriksen, Bentaleb, and Lloris. I don't know if Townsend has the talent and footballing mind to push on here but he showed a massive amount in terms of his mentality against Chelsea. Seriously impressive, you need to have some big ass nuts to bury a penalty like he did.
Especially impressive since he said after he knew Courtious would dive that way so he had to get it perfect.

The more I think about it the more impressive that penalty gets. As someone said, if he doesn't make it we almost certainly lose. Missing a penalty causes heads to go down and shoulders to slump (see: Tottenham at the Ethiad this year). Yet Townsend steps up to take it.

This is a guy who has talked about how he's been frustrated recently with his poor form and inability to push on from his hot start last year. He's also barely played in the league at all. But he is the one who grabs the ball even though he is aware he's out of form etc. For me, that is incredibly impressive. Last year we continually bemoaned our players not standing up to hold themselves accountable. Townsend taking that penalty shows the initiate and mindset we were missing and seem to have found in Kane, Mason, Eriksen, Bentaleb, and Lloris. I don't know if Townsend has the talent and footballing mind to push on here but he showed a massive amount in terms of his mentality against Chelsea. Seriously impressive, you need to have some big ass nuts to bury a penalty like he did.

Great penalty, but I've never seen Soldado get this much praise for knocking in a penalty. He and Andros have contributed just about the same.

You must love Ricky Lambert spilling your load this much over a penalty.

Probably not confident enough. Don't asked me though, I'm not him just passing on what he said!
He meant that since he was going for power it would be obvious which side he was going to shoot since disguising penalties usually just works well when you try to open your body up one way and turn foot at last moment, give keeper the eyes etc all only practical when you put much less pace and don't smash it.

Great penalty, but I've never seen Soldado get this much praise for knocking in a penalty. He and Andros have contributed just about the same.

I never said I didn't respect Soldado making penalties just that I thought Townsend was impressive in a pressure situation when he's recently been out of form. But since you brought up Soldado, he missed a similar pressure penalty earlier this season which he basically slowly passed barely to the right of Hart.

Does anybody know what was up with Townsend after he was subbed (today)?
The camera showed a few shots of him, and he looked awfully sad and gloomy ... looked like he was gonna cry or something.

Does anybody know what was up with Townsend after he was subbed (today)?
The camera showed a few shots of him, and he looked awfully sad and gloomy ... looked like he was gonna cry or something.
I remember he got subbed in some Europa league match last season , and I'm pretty sure he was properly sobbing on the bench. It was soon after his hot streak when he played for England, and was the 'golden boy,' he had a bad game and got taken off early , camera panned to him and his face was all red and he had his head in his hands , teary eyed, does anyone else remember this?

He was poor again.
Boyhood club but sorry he has not developed nor I fear will he.
Sell and buy Redmond from Norwich.

Starting to agree here. Definitely gets more patience from me due to being home grown and clearly works hard. But after bursting on the scene last year he seems to have plateaud quite a bit. Whether that's down to him or the coaching he's getting I don't know, but poch has a track record of improving young players so you have to wonder at what point it's just down to ability.

Ideally I'd like to see him given the chance to be worked on in the next pre season and see how he looks until next January. If still no improvement sell him for the 8 million or so we'd likely get from a mid to lower prem team. (Or Liverpool lol)

He's easy to defend against because you know exactly what he's going to do. There's no variation in his attacking play, he's quick - yes, but he *always* looks to cut back and come in on his left foot. His final ball is poor, I can't see him making the grade here. I like him, can't fault his commitment and desire but I just don't think he's good enough.

Wish people would stop saying he's quick and draw a distinction between speed and acceleration.

He has good acceleration, he's good at dribbling with the ball and moves his feet quickly. Does this mean he's fast? No, he's not. The next time you see him 'sprint' watch the defender or the players around him and how quick they move, beating him for pace.

He's a poor player who I'd get rid of ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom