Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
I am not a massive fan of him, but he was MOTM by a very long way against Burnley, which shows he has something. He is clearly adapting his game, he no longer takes 15 shots a game, he now takes 3 or 4. He is starting to show some variety when going forward and not just only cutting inside (helps also when wing back does his job and overlaps) he also looks to go outside and cross.

But above all he is Spurs, a vital ingredient when we are looking to get the passion back in our side. Listening to Poch's recent talk about the DNA of our club is from our academy, Andros has an amazing opportunity in front of him I'm just not sure he sees it.

For his future he needs to play with more consistency, he was utter dog shit against Palace but brilliant against Burnley.

Anyway I'm waffling we should keep him if he's up for the fight.

More ups and downs for him again today. I think the sooner he realises there are only a handful of people in the world that can consistently score from 20yds out and he isn't one of them the better (luckily Eriksen is though :eriksenlol:). Great assist today along with some of his normal wastefulness.

If he could concentrate on creating more and hold the trigger until he has a proper shot on he'd be starting every week imo.

I think we should keep him, as he does give us a bit of width and pace, which we haven't got an abundance of. However, he needs to work on his end product a bit more and cut out those annoying step overs - he may then become the dynamic player we need.

I think we should keep him, as he does give us a bit of width and pace, which we haven't got an abundance of. However, he needs to work on his end product a bit more and cut out those annoying step overs - he may then become the dynamic player we need.
I don't think he'll ever be that dynamic as he really doesn't have that big a range. But with his speed that doesn't really matter if he can work some end product into it.

Great assist? - Looked to me as if he tried passing to Kane, but was hideously mistimed and Eriksen picked up the pieces. For me, it's as much of an assist as Paulinho mis-controlling to Capoue midweek.

Great assist? - Looked to me as if he tried passing to Kane, but was hideously mistimed and Eriksen picked up the pieces. For me, it's as much of an assist as Paulinho mis-controlling to Capoue midweek.
What? Alright, watch MotD, if you see the shot from the touch line you'll see he was going straight through Kane. Kane wasn't even in a position to score as he had a man in front.

Tough audience us hey?!

Last edited:
What? Alright, watch MotD, if you see the shot from the touch line you'll see he was going straight through Kane. Kane wasn't even in a position to score as he had a man in front.

Though audience us hey?!
Didn't see MOTD, only saw it a few times earlier during the game. Looked at the time it was a poor pass to Kane, but if he meant it for Eriksen then fair play to him.

Didn't see MOTD, only saw it a few times earlier during the game. Looked at the time it was a poor pass to Kane, but if he meant it for Eriksen then fair play to him.
It's not been on yet mate, take another look if you've got it on, hopefully they'll show it from that angle.

I thought the same, but seeing it back I reckon it was for Eriksen.

The important thing about Andros is, even if the pass wasnt meant for Eriksen, he miss hit a shot, things didnt come off, yet he keeps going, he keeps running and picked that ball up deep and created our winning goal, that alone gives Poch something to work with, see if we can use that mindset and help him develop - keep him

I think we used Townsend in a role that suits him the best at this point. Come in as a sub and run at tired legs to spark the team. He just doesn't have the technical ability to start against teams that park the bus.

It appears every winger nowaways want to be Christiano Ronaldo:

Start wide in space, do a few body feigns, go inside and curl for far post.

So boring and predictable, when they are nowhere near as good as him anyway.

Completely disagree I would play townsend before lamella all day long. Lamella has no football nous. Some lovely skills but no brian

To each his own but I'd probably say the same about Townsy. They are actually kind of similar IMO. Both are technical, quick and good for the odd point but also for the (more than) occasional brain fart. Just think Lamela has a higher ceiling and have - contrary to popular belief- actually potted a "decent" amount of points. "Only" our three vital offensive players outperform in that department. I do rate Andros as a squad player and as a real competitor for a starting XI-spot. I think Poch can mould both Lamela and Townsend and we're better off with them both performing!

Townsend seems to be learning at last that football is not about individual glory. He is using his team mates more rather than going for Gold ala Bale all the time.
Yesterday that run and lay off showed how he is learning.. Last year that would have been a run followed by a shot 43 feet over the bar..
It was a match winning contribution and fair play to him for that.

Back
Top Bottom