Andros Townsend's role this season???

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With all the speculation around Gareth Bale, the new signing Nacer Chadli and of course Aaron Lennon. I wanted to get people's views on what Andros Townsend's role will be this year?

I think he could have a big impact coming off the bench and this could be his breakthrough season in a Spurs shirt.

back-up and odd rotation... From what I have seen of him he has a football brain the size of a pea, just a pacier JD, head down run forward and shoot and frankly, I don't want players like that near our team. I want us to be able to make the right decisions 85% of the time and with this boy in the team I can't see that happening...

I think we made a major mistake in letting him leave on loan to QPR last season. Once Bale started playing down the middle regularly he could have been a very useful player. Sig did well on the left, but Townsend is a completely different option which would have been handy. Signing Chadli means we have more options but I think Townsend's pace could make our midfield even more dangerously quick... put that along with the strength of Dembele, Paulinho and Sandro's of our team and we've really got something.

starting the odd pl game and a starter in the cups for me, think he could be a good impact sub if we are chasing the game.

I'm not for 1 minute saying Townsend could be Bale, but remember how much Bale developed and quick, the club looked to he ready to sell him, 2 seasons later.....

I think Townsend has some promise, he's quick, and he should be given 2 full seasons, then judge him.

Bench warmer, he's no better than a host of wingers we have let go in the past (see routledge and I hate to say Taarabt) plus I have all faith that Bale will continue to be indestructable this season. Possibly loan him out and try out this Bale lookalike lad, one can dream that he'l follow a similar course as big bale.

Edit...Falque looked good on his run-out last season, time to see what he learned at Almeria?

I don't see any sense in loaning him out again, this season will be make or break. He already has experience in the premier league now, he doesn't have the greatest footballing brain but what he does provide is width, which is something we sorely lack when Lennon gets his inevitable mid-season injury.

So use him as cover for some undetermined point in the season? seems a waste if he really is worthy of a first team role. he cant improve much watching from the sidelines and at 22 he is on the edge of not being considered a youngster any more. Id say 1 more season on loan, internationally to a top league club then see what he has learned.

I'm not for 1 minute saying Townsend could be Bale, but remember how much Bale developed and quick, the club looked to he ready to sell him, 2 seasons later.....

I think Townsend has some promise, he's quick, and he should be given 2 full seasons, then judge him.
Yes, but bale showed some ability and brainpower when it came to playing WITH others, so far I've seen very little of that in Townsend.

I hope he gets a couple of games. While I still think he is quite raw and one dimensional, I think that he could develop into some player if he's given the right coaching.

Back
Top Bottom