Andros Townsend's role this season???

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Far too early to have much insight. No doubt he will be used as much as he shows he is worth it in training and the little pitch time he gets. I suspect that he will get more games against the lower ranked clubs, against whom he seems to excel and score goals. It is probably a year or two too early for him to shine against top teams and smart defenders, he will need a lot more learning first.
I suspect we will have a lot of players demonstrating their ability in training and demanding a place on the bench, that is where young, hungry players can show they are worth more to the club than the old timers that the papers love for their past heroics.

Far too early to have much insight. No doubt he will be used as much as he shows he is worth it in training and the little pitch time he gets. I suspect that he will get more games against the lower ranked clubs, against whom he seems to excel and score goals. It is probably a year or two too early for him to shine against top teams and smart defenders, he will need a lot more learning first.
I suspect we will have a lot of players demonstrating their ability in training and demanding a place on the bench, that is where young, hungry players can show they are worth more to the club than the old timers that the papers love for their past heroics.

I think he'll get more game time than that, especially with Dempsey gone now, he's 22 so he's not going to think he's a year or two too early. If we look at where he can play, assuming we will alternate between 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 then he'll be playing left or right in the forward role on the flanks (potentially even in the central role of the 4-2-3-1) and competing with Lennon, Chadli, Bale, Sigurdsson and Holtby for a spot.

So 2 or 3 positions available to him depending on formation which 6 players can play in. Bearing in mind Holtby, Gylfi and Chadli can play in central midfield also I think he's got a good chance of getting game time, especially in a 4-2-3-1 and probably off the bench towards the end of a game to inject some pace on the flanks and stretch the tired opposition.

In reality there will be some rotation going on I'm sure. I can certainly see Townsend taking a few starting spots off Lennon here and there this season.

With Caulker gone, Carroll only really emerging and with traffic ahead of him in the starting line-up, Kane looking a little uninspiring (or not good), it would be nice to have a home grown player make more of an impact this season. Townsend has the ability to change a game, not necessarily in his talent (although he has plenty) but more in our shape and the opposition mind set, too.

If you guys could please get "He's got a big head" goin to the tune of "he scores when he wants", that would really make me giggle on an early Saturday morning.
BPI-QPRvSund-g7fs.jpg

URL]

I agree that until he consistently proves he is better, Townsend should be back up to Lennon. It's a great position to be in though, I can't remember the last time we had so much depth. Paulinho, Sandro, Dembele, Siggy, Holtby, Carroll, and any of Hudd, Parker and Livermore, if they stay, can all play in midfield and then we've got Bale, Lennon, Chadli, Townsend, Siggy and even Ade playing out wide. With three strikers now I think all we need is a centre back and our squad is the most complete one we've had in years.

Back
Top Bottom