Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The grass is always greener. Bayern fans have already created a petition to convince Tuchel to stay because he was able to navigate Woolwich in the CL, despite >90% of them wanting him gone three months ago. It's the logical conclusion of an increasingly impatient, black-and-white, recency-biased mindset that continues to grow in ubiquity and intensity across all football fandom. Nobody has the patience or attention span for long-term projects anymore, and every player/manager/owner is either great or shit based solely on their last game.
I wouldn't say nobody has the patience, it's just that the numbers are diminishing rapidly.

To be fair, I can understand it from some of our younger generation of fans. Those who are only old enough to have seen us during the Prem years, have only seen us struggling to build the club back towards where it used to be, they never experienced the 60's or the 80's where we got trophy glory.

So I can understand their frustrations, they want to feel what us olduns did back then, and they want it now. The fact that that we're so close just inflames that passion to the point where any patience they might have is swamped and, let's face it, what youngster EVER listens to an oldun? We were as bad when we were young. It's only when you get to an age that you can then look back and see just what they were talking about. I was just as bad when I was a nipper, I expect that if most of us olduns looked back honestly at our younger selves, we'd see the same.

Weren't we 4th about this time last season when Conte left?

Where did we finish and what kind of football were we playing? Simple question.

Did my post not say compared to last season? Not part way through? Did my post not also say (assuming we get Europe?)

Learn to read please.

Did we get Europe last season? Are we on course for a European spot this season?

Again, simple questions.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Last edited:
This reply deserves an agree AND a funny rating.
We also went deeper in the domestic cups and had European football to keep us occupied for half the season.

Another one who can’t read. 🤣🤣🤣

Again, where did we finish last season and what style of football were we playing? Did we get Europe last season? Are we on course for a European place this year?

All easy questions even a dedicated simpleton like you should be able to answer without using google.

We all know you’re stupid, John, but there’s no need for you to highlight it.

Go back to bed. You’ve humiliated yourself again.

Yours,

Majority of spurs fans.

Ending Music Video GIF by Taylor Swift

Last edited:
That’s not true - we are awful at selling players. It’s one of our blind spots
It's knowing when to sell that is our issue. As you're alluding to here, we've held onto some players far longer than we should have.

I suppose you have to caveat that with where we were at the time though. We were labelled as a selling club after Modric and Bale, then selling Walker exacerbated that. So the club were treading a fine line and had to put that label to bed somehow. Unfortunately, the money brought in was reinvested unwisely in the main, so we never kicked on from those windfalls in the way we really should have.

Where did we finish and what kind of football were we playing? Simple question.

Did my post not say compared to last season? Not part way through? Did my post not also say (assuming we get Europe?)

Learn to read please.

Did we get Europe last season? Are we on course for a European spot this season?

Again, simple questions.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF
Yes we all know ending this season higher in the league compared to last season is as an improvement. Conte got sacked and we had to finish off with his assistant managing the team, and then his assistant, so we ended last season with rooky managers.

However we seem to be doing worse this season than the season before last, so in that respect we haven't improved.

There's no need for your questions, that facts are all there to be seen.

Another one who can’t read.
Again, where did we finish last season and what style of football were we playing? Did we get Europe last season? Are we on course for a European place this year?
All easy questions even a dedicated simpleton like you should be able to answer without using google.
We all know you’re stupid, John, but there’s no need for you to highlight it.
Yours,
Majority of spurs fans.

Ending Music Video GIF by Taylor Swift
Now now

No need to start with this personal stuff again, mate. We've been here before and we both know how it ends.

And please. Stop claiming to speak for the majority. It's silly and it's childish.

So, let's end this little spat before it even starts. We've done well since the turn of the year. Let's not spoil it as it just brings the forum down.

Admin is proud of our efforts thus far

Yes we all know ending this season higher in the league compared to last season is as an improvement. Conte got sacked and we had to finish off with his assistant managing the team, and then his assistant, so we ended last season with rooky managers.

However we seem to be doing worse this season than the season before last, so in that respect we haven't improved.

Great post.
And let's be honest, the bar was set pretty fucking low at the end of last season

But we’re not comparing to the season before last. You’re just moving the goalposts now to try and suit your agenda.

Can only compare against the previous season. If we finish in a European spot, we have progressed and therefore have improved. We definitely play better football than last season, in general, and that’s also an improvement.

There wouldn’t have been a need for my questions if you hadn’t deliberately misread my clear and obvious post.

Next time I strongly suggest you learn to read and don’t deliberately misquote me/make up lies.

Thank you

Now now

No need to start with this personal stuff again, mate. We've been here before and we both know how it ends.

And please. Stop claiming to speak for the majority. It's silly and it's childish.

So, let's end this little spat before it even starts. We've done well since the turn of the year. Let's not spoil it as it just brings the forum down.

Admin is proud of our efforts thus far

Then all I ask is you read what I wrote and don’t deliberately misquote or misinterpret what I said.

That’s not a big ask, I’m sure. If you (or anyone) does then I’ll have to call it out.

Will leave it there.

But we’re not comparing to the season before last. You’re just moving the goalposts now to try and suit your agenda.

Can only compare against the previous season. If we finish in a European spot, we have progressed and therefore have improved. We definitely play better football than last season, in general, and that’s also an improvement.

There wouldn’t have been a need for my questions if you hadn’t deliberately misread my clear and obvious post.

Next time I strongly suggest you learn to read and don’t deliberately misquote me/make up lies.

Thank you
Well it's not like for like compared to last season as we had to finsish it when our manager got sacked in 4th place, with his assistant and then Mason ie two rookies.

That's it.

I've made my point and see no value in continuing the conversation just for the sake of argrument.

But for your peace of mind I'm not against Ange, it's just that as far as the league and cups we're currently about par before Conte got sacked.

Last edited:
Well it's not like for like compared to last season as we had to finsish it when our manager got sacked in 4th place, with his assistant and then Mason ie two rookies.

That's it.

I've made my point and see no value in continuing the conversation just for the sake of argrument.

But for your peace of mind I'm not against Ange, it's just that as far as the league and cups we're currently about par before Conte got sacked.

Like I said, we can only compare to last season regardless of the situation. It’s either that or don’t compare at all.

If we’re not comparing at all then I’m just going to say that if we finish in a European spot, playing attacking football, then as far as I’m concerned that’s a decent start. A start, mind, and needs to be built upon next season. I want to see clear progression every year.

And that’s all I have to say about that.

Like I said, we can only compare to last season regardless of the situation. It’s either that or don’t compare at all.

If we’re not comparing at all then I’m just going to say that if we finish in a European spot, playing attacking football, then as far as I’m concerned that’s a decent start. A start, mind, and needs to be built upon next season. I want to see clear progression every year.

And that’s all I have to say about that.
I agree that in the league at this stage last season we were about in the same position as we are now , so not bad for Ange's first season. if we get 5th then good!!

We can only make a proper comparison by putting Mason in charge of the first team, for the next few weeks.

I agree that in the league at this stage last season we were about in the same position as we are now , so not bad for Ange's first season. if we get 5th then good!!

We can only make a proper comparison by putting Mason in charge of the first team, for the next few weeks.

Last season after 32 games = 53 points. G/diff + 7
This season after 32 games = 60 points. G/diff + 16

'Winner' - Ange.

Last edited:

Or if you prefer:

Conte sacked after match 28 = 49 points / GD 12
This season after 28 games = 53 points / GD 17

'Winner' - Ange.

Back
Top Bottom