Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

isn't it the same as Jose or Conte, follow the process and it will happen
But it doesn't happen Why ?
3 different managers all saying same sort of thing (yes their playing styles different and how they want it done is different)
so it has to be what is here already Levy & board, Players,

I read a lot about Levy backing Ange, it won't happen, he hasn't backed world class serial winners in Jose and Conte, why would he now back unknown Ange!

Levy will do what Levy does, he will give a manager a decent starting XI and mediocre bench. Only deluded fans think otherwise.

These takes are honestly so boring, that backing thing is just becoming a buzz word that doesn't have any meaning.

What does backing Ange actually mean to you? It's a totally subjective term...does it mean with money? Does it mean getting rid of the players that he doesn't want? Does it mean backing his idealogy?

The irony is that Ange wanted Johnson who fans are now complaining about, a player we paid £50m for who still looks raw, is that not backing?

All very well but he has never met the obstinate force that is THFC. There is something about the place that pushes back against change and embraces what it is. We know from history that at the top, the drive to be number one just isnt there. It makes it so difficult for the manager.

Ange says all the right things and is obviously a good manager but it is fucking difficult being our manager as everything never seems to be pulling in the right direction.

Yeah the reality of this club and the premier league is that you make a good point.

But if he can stick to his principles and keep pushing for change, the fans can only blame themselves if they don’t get behind it.

We know the club isn’t likely to change and we know the premier league is more than happy to market us as the banter team with a huge following, so they don’t want that to change.

The only way this changes is to really try and see this through and support the man really talking and acting to change the club.

These takes are honestly so boring, that backing thing is just becoming a buzz word that doesn't have any meaning.

What does backing Ange actually mean to you? It's a totally subjective term...does it mean with money? Does it mean getting rid of the players that he doesn't want? Does it mean backing his idealogy?

The irony is that Ange wanted Johnson who fans are now complaining about, a player we paid £50m for who still looks raw, is that not backing?
It’s the same type of argument we had when people were moaning we’d gone for the cheap option in Vicario rather than splashing £40m on Raya!

Who looks the better acquisition now?!

That ties in with the players’ conviction, especially in the attacking third.
I think this is what clubs are capitalising on, like west ham on Thursday.
They let spurs come out all guns blazing, then hope to pick them off, a bit like a boxer punching themselves out.
Almost seems they sense or smell, the uncertainty when the team can't score.

This doesn’t mean we aren’t signing anyone.

I read it like they are looking for younger players that have the potential to be players we can’t afford.

It’s a sensible strategy.

But it will piss fans off when they see our competitors spending harder. I can see the sense in the strategy but also understand the fans being pissed off. Especially those still forking out for season tickets.

I think this is what clubs are capitalising on, like west ham on Thursday.
They let spurs come out all guns blazing, then hope to pick them off, a bit like a boxer punching themselves out.
Almost seems they sense or smell, the uncertainty when the team can't score.

They are hanging on and trying to ride their luck. Playing the small underdog route that Conte and Jose used to.

They are only able to hang on if we don’t do what we should in front of goal. It’s a question of if you want to be an aggressive team or a passive team.

It’s not like we don’t know what it’s like to be West Ham, that’s all we did last few years and it drove most people away from the club and football in general.

Personally I’ve lost all interest in that type of football. Give me the Brighton approach every day of the week. Football is meant to be an escape or release. Watching one team cower and try to pinch a result is neither of those for me.

They are hanging on and trying to ride their luck. Playing the small underdog route that Conte and Jose used to.

They are only able to hang on if we don’t do what we should in front of goal. It’s a question of if you want to be an aggressive team or a passive team.

It’s not like we don’t know what it’s like to be West Ham, that’s all we did last few years and it drove most people away from the club and football in general.

Personally I’ve lost all interest in that type of football. Give me the Brighton approach every day of the week. Football is meant to be an escape or release. Watching one team cower and try to pinch a result is neither of those for me.
I understand mate, but history shows they got the result and we didn't, which is what a WhatsApp group on my phone shows.
Been bombarded with it since the game finished, comments, videos and reminders of the only club to lose from a winning position.
I do like the football we are playing, but I like winning more, I don't care how we win just win and be successful.
But certainly it's more enjoyable as a viewing experience.

Ange does make adjustments for different opponents. He also makes adjustments at half time like the sub against City.

What he doesn’t do is change his philosophy. Find me a top coach that changes their philosophy….

Pep? Nope
Klopp? Nope
Even Xabi Alonso or Xavi? Nope

What you want is to win again. That’s what we all want but it sometimes shit goes against you in an ugly way. That doesn’t mean the coach should just rip up his philosophy and start again.
To be fair to rusty ,changing things up within a game of altering tactics to counter the opposition is not akin to changing one's philosophy, is it.
Pep and Klopp may stick to their philosophy, but that doesn't mean they're not going to adjust as each individual matche dictates.
And using 2 managers who've won the highest honours in the most competitive leagues doesn't really do your arguments any favour, either

Last edited:
I understand mate, but history shows they got the result and we didn't, which is what a WhatsApp group on my phone shows.
Been bombarded with it since the game finished, comments, videos and reminders of the only club to lose from a winning position.
I do like the football we are playing, but I like winning more, I don't care how we win just win and be successful.
But certainly it's more enjoyable as a viewing experience.

What makes you think the West Ham way would make us more likely to win?

We tried it and we didn’t. This type of football at least puts winning in our hands. If we do it right we win no matter what West Ham or Villa do. They relied on us to have a chance to win.

do I want Ange ball or Conte/Jose Ball, I like most want Ange ball, But Ange Ball in Scotland where you have most of the leagues best 11 players, & Ange Ball in Oz national team where you have players from many teams in Europe is different from being here,
This part is true. It is much easier to win games with any style of play if you have the best squad in the league . We dont have the same advantage that Celtic had in Scotland. So things will be more difficult at spurs.

Its not all that bad but being at the top of the league after 10 games made people start dreaming things. In comparison, we spent more time at the top of the league with Mourinho (after 12 games) in his first full season.

100% with you on this. Watching us and the likes of Brighton and Villa is just a more enjoyable experience. We will win more than we won’t even just now but when we get to next season we will see less defeats than we have been used to over a season. I’m all for this. We wanted to enjoy watching our team and realistically nobody can say they haven’t enjoyed it. Ups and downs along the way but as we said back in July let’s get strapped in and enjoy.

To be fair to rusty ,changing things up within a game of altering tactics to counter the opposition is not akin to changing one's philosophy, is it.
Pep and Klopp may stick to their philosophy, but that doesn't mean they're not going to adjust as each individual matches dictates.
And using 2 managers who've won the highest honours in the most competitive leagues doesn't really do your arguments any favour, either

Yeah and as several people responded Ange does adjust tactics. Has done several times this season to make impactful changes in games.

Using those managers absolutely does hold water because that’s how good Ange needs to be to change this clubs situation. Jose and Conte couldn’t do it with “tactics” football, so what’s the next step up from them?

I’ll be honest with you mate, I’m not taking your arguments in good faith. I don’t see any evidence that you want to see this club succeed. I see plenty of evidence that you are here for the drama and disasters.

It’s the same type of argument we had when people were moaning we’d gone for the cheap option in Vicario rather than splashing £40m on Raya!

Who looks the better acquisition now?!
Vic has conceded 22 goals in 15 games. Raya has conceded 10 in 10 games. I like Vic he's been good for us, but we cant say he's clearly better or anything like that.

Jeez, bringing those two cheque book dinosaurs up again?!

You really do love a bit of self-flagellation don’t you?! 😂

Don’t we all!

excited d&d GIF by Hyper RPG

Back
Top Bottom