Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Watched your first season with Ange (and the commentary on this forum šŸ˜) with interest last season. Heā€™s a manager Iā€™ve followed throughout his career not just because heā€™s from Aus, because thereā€™s plenty of terrible managers from here too, but because his philosophy on football, mentality and the guy himself Iā€™ve always enjoyed watching.

Im in Brisbane where he took the Brisbane Roar to all kinds of heights and for what itā€™s worth Iā€™ll say this

I wasnā€™t surprised by the injuries and mid to late season blips you guys experienced as the style of football he plays is high energy and it takes many players time to adapt and some just donā€™t cope with it longer term where others do. Once they come through this initial period and are more conditioned to it the volume of injuries reduces from the initial time. I know theyā€™re footballers and fit etc but thereā€™s still different levels even amongst the elite as Iā€™m sure you can see by comparing players like Ndombele and VDV and the Ndombeles of the world are moved on regardless of reputation. As the season goes on the ones that ā€œbuy inā€ because itā€™s a new manager and the ones that really truly buy in get seen and will be what Ange referred to late in the season about players and his system. The ones that donā€™t truly get on board will either be moved on or find themselves on the periphery of the squad regardless of who they are as Ange is all about the team as a unit not any single player which is why the character of a player is so important to him. Heā€™ll use this window to turn over a few and further fill the squad with the ā€œrightā€ player for how he wants the side to play both structurally and physically. Heā€™s done it time and time again with sides and they pretty much always improve second season, time will tell I guess for the ones of you doubting heā€™s up to it.

As for comments heā€™s been ā€œfound outā€ by other managers now and his inflexible system wonā€™t work etc etc itā€™s seriously laughable that you think no other manager in all his time has thought ā€œwhat if we hit them fast and wide on the counterā€?? Also if you donā€™t think while he absolutely has a style of play heā€™s steadfast on (most managers do) that he doesnā€™t tweak things depending on who heā€™s playing then youā€™re not watching very closely. Thereā€™s definitely tactical tweaks and selections made dependant on the opposition there for all to see, even some of the guys at Walkabout Creek FC! šŸ˜‰

The Prem is obviously one of the top leagues in the world with the best players, managers, everything so I understand the trepidation around Ange to a point but know he is a quality manager who will leave no stone unturned to keep driving your side to success, as heā€™s done everywhere previously.

He's not really, though, is he?
Celtic are leagues better than everyone from 3rd down in Scotland. Most of the time they will win just by turning up, so Ange's system is irrelevant.
Rodgers got Leicester relegated and himself sacked then goes and wins the league up there. Proof in point.
Spurs are not the best team in England. Not by a long shot. So if anything, compared to the other teams in our league, he's working with worse players.

I suspect he gets found out in the first 10 games next season. Last season he caught teams by surprise as they didn't know what we were doing. That and the fact none of our squad had ever played with him before, so most of them were doing what they did before. As the season wore on, every player got worse and every team we played got wiser.
Iā€™m curious, what sort of result will be proof heā€™s been ā€œfound outā€ first 10 games next season? How many wins/losses/points?

Brisbane Roar - almost bottom turned them into back to back champions
Melbourne Victory - turned them into champions
Yokohama F Marinos - mid table hadnā€™t won for 20 years, turned them into champions
Celtic - club an absolute shambles on arrival coming off a season 25 points behind Rangers, turned them into champions and won 5 of 6 trophies on offer
Spurs - disrupted pre season, lost Kane on eve of the season and didnā€™t get to replace, brought in unknowns and youngsters into the side and was tipped to finish bottom half by quite a few, even relegated, finishes 5th and gets criticised for not finishing the season strongly enough (often happens with young players getting used to rigours of long season) and daring to say he always wants his side to win regardless of who theyā€™re playing.

Also, ā€œmost of them were just doing what theyā€˜d done beforeā€ early in the season?? Thatā€™s what you saw? Same players doing the same thing as previous? Wow.

That article states that we've spend the fourth largest amount of money. Which is exactly what I said in my previous post:

Levy only ever does the absolute bare minimum to maintain a top four challenge.
Not sure bare min as we havenā€™t had top 4 for last two seasons and spent more than teams that have made top ie Villa, dippers and bar codes. Chavs are a lost cause but have managed to get to numerous finals and win CL. Manure spent more but again 3 cup finals in last 2 seasons and winning 2 cups. Goons spent more than us but have challenged for the title past two seasons.

Redknapp makes Postecoglou prediction after 'very average' Spurs season and names biggest issue​

Former Tottenham Hotspur boss Harry Redknapp has had his say Ange Postecoglou and what can happen next season at the north London club

SPURS
By
Alasdair GoldTottenham Hotspur correspondent
  • 07:00, 15 JUN 2024

Harry Redknapp believes Ange Postecoglou's first season at Tottenham was "very average" but has predicted that any friction with the club's fans will soon be forgotten.

The Australian lost Harry Kane to Bayern Munich on the eve of his first season at the club but ended up finishing fifth in the Premier League, a higher finish than Tottenham managed in the campaign before his arrival with more points in the bag, more goals scored, fewer conceded and a new more attacking style of football.

However, a late stumble amidst a tough run-in ensured Spurs missed out on the top four by two points and Redknapp believes with that, coupled with early exits in the domestic cups, it was a mediocre campaign.

"I like Ange Postecoglou very much. I like him an awful lot. But what do I make of the season? Very average, it was a very average season ā€“ going out early in both cups, not finishing in the top four with that squad. I wouldn't say it was a fantastic season," he said while promoting fantasy football game Sorare.

"At the beginning of the season I really couldn't see Spurs being out of the top four, I thought that the team, the players, would make top four for sure this year and maybe even win a cup but Tottenham went out early in both domestic competitions. I couldn't say it was a great season and I'd be lying if I said it was."

There was some friction between Postecoglou and the Spurs fans late in the season after he admitted he could not understand them wanting their team to lose their match against Manchester City to ensure Woolwich did not get an advantage in the Premier League title race. Redknapp predicted that any friction will soon be forgotten.

"Any friction between Ange and the fans will be quickly forgotten. It's like everything, when you're winning everything's great, when you lose a few gamesā€¦bang! The game has gone that way now as a manager, you're either fantastic or you're useless, there's no middle ground," he said.

"I think it was Graham Taylor who said: 'Your manager's never as good as you think he is, or as bad as you think he is, he's usually somewhere in between.' And that's probably the case with Ange. We can't praise the performance and the quality of the football after the first 10 games only to turn on the manager and the team when they suddenly have a bad run.

"You've got to be patient, Tottenham is a club, with that squad, where I'd be disappointed if they didn't make top four at least. I certainly thought they'd finish above Villa this year.

"The top three were different class this year, and Man City, Woolwich and Liverpool will be there again next season. Certainly I think Woolwich will be pushing Man City again next year for the title. But I still see Tottenham making top four. Chelsea are a way off, they've still got a lot of work to do, I donā€™t see them being a threat for the title, and I can well see them not making top four again. Manchester United as well have a lot of work to do. Spurs have got a big chance next year to make the top four."

Redknapp makes Postecoglou prediction after 'very average' Spurs season and names biggest issue​

Former Tottenham Hotspur boss Harry Redknapp has had his say Ange Postecoglou and what can happen next season at the north London club

SPURS
By
Alasdair GoldTottenham Hotspur correspondent
  • 07:00, 15 JUN 2024

Harry Redknapp believes Ange Postecoglou's first season at Tottenham was "very average" but has predicted that any friction with the club's fans will soon be forgotten.

The Australian lost Harry Kane to Bayern Munich on the eve of his first season at the club but ended up finishing fifth in the Premier League, a higher finish than Tottenham managed in the campaign before his arrival with more points in the bag, more goals scored, fewer conceded and a new more attacking style of football.

However, a late stumble amidst a tough run-in ensured Spurs missed out on the top four by two points and Redknapp believes with that, coupled with early exits in the domestic cups, it was a mediocre campaign.

"I like Ange Postecoglou very much. I like him an awful lot. But what do I make of the season? Very average, it was a very average season ā€“ going out early in both cups, not finishing in the top four with that squad. I wouldn't say it was a fantastic season," he said while promoting fantasy football game Sorare.

"At the beginning of the season I really couldn't see Spurs being out of the top four, I thought that the team, the players, would make top four for sure this year and maybe even win a cup but Tottenham went out early in both domestic competitions. I couldn't say it was a great season and I'd be lying if I said it was."

There was some friction between Postecoglou and the Spurs fans late in the season after he admitted he could not understand them wanting their team to lose their match against Manchester City to ensure Woolwich did not get an advantage in the Premier League title race. Redknapp predicted that any friction will soon be forgotten.

"Any friction between Ange and the fans will be quickly forgotten. It's like everything, when you're winning everything's great, when you lose a few gamesā€¦bang! The game has gone that way now as a manager, you're either fantastic or you're useless, there's no middle ground," he said.

"I think it was Graham Taylor who said: 'Your manager's never as good as you think he is, or as bad as you think he is, he's usually somewhere in between.' And that's probably the case with Ange. We can't praise the performance and the quality of the football after the first 10 games only to turn on the manager and the team when they suddenly have a bad run.

"You've got to be patient, Tottenham is a club, with that squad, where I'd be disappointed if they didn't make top four at least. I certainly thought they'd finish above Villa this year.

"The top three were different class this year, and Man City, Woolwich and Liverpool will be there again next season. Certainly I think Woolwich will be pushing Man City again next year for the title. But I still see Tottenham making top four. Chelsea are a way off, they've still got a lot of work to do, I donā€™t see them being a threat for the title, and I can well see them not making top four again. Manchester United as well have a lot of work to do. Spurs have got a big chance next year to make the top four."

"Big chance to make Top 4"

Pisses me off.

Absolutely fucking love that Redknapp called it a ā€˜very averageā€™ spurs season after having so long being told youā€™re apparently clueless if you think this. Couldnā€™t agree more with what heā€™s said in general.

The gaslighting about how this was apparently a great season because for a bit we played some nice football needs to stop.

Absolutely fucking love that Redknapp called it a ā€˜very averageā€™ spurs season after having so long being told youā€™re apparently clueless if you think this. Couldnā€™t agree more with what heā€™s said in general.

The gaslighting about how this was apparently a great season because for a bit we played some nice football needs to stop.
I love Harry Redknapp, but he canā€™t wait for the opportunity to run his mouth off! šŸ˜‚

I canā€™t recall anyone describing it as a great season, but (disappointing cup runs excluded) it was better than a lot were expecting considering losing our world class striker.

Iā€™d call it a season of transition - complete 180 on playing style, new management, start of the squad overhaul etc.

I love Harry Redknapp, but he canā€™t wait for the opportunity to run his mouth off! šŸ˜‚

I canā€™t recall anyone describing it as a great season, but (disappointing cup runs excluded) it was better than a lot were expecting considering losing our world class striker.

Iā€™d call it a season of transition - complete 180 on playing style, new management, start of the squad overhaul etc.

That whole family loves the limelight

"Big chance to make Top 4"

Pisses me off.
As if Harry at the start of the season when we had a new manager, a bunch of players who had never stepped on a Premier League pitch (most of whom are in their early 20s) and no Harry Kane thought, 'hmmm yeah, this lot have a great chance at top 4 this season, hope they don't fuck it up'.

Complete nonsense. I understand being frustrated that we couldn't continue our early season form but fuck me, let's not start saying about how the season was disappointing. Maybe if you're completely unrealistic in your expectations, sure.

As if Harry at the start of the season when we had a new manager, a bunch of players who had never stepped on a Premier League pitch (most of whom are in their early 20s) and no Harry Kane thought, 'hmmm yeah, this lot have a great chance at top 4 this season, hope they don't fuck it up'.

Complete nonsense. I understand being frustrated that we couldn't continue our early season form but fuck me, let's not start saying about how the season was disappointing. Maybe if you're completely unrealistic in your expectations, sure.

He thought we were favourites for 4th before Kane left. Not top 4. 4th.

Can only imagine that losing Harry Kane has an impact on your expectations??? Who knows with Harry?

After 10 games I think 4th place was always going to be there to aim for. But not at the start of the season.

Who's said 'great season'

This idea that it wasn't a great chance because we didn't predict it at the start of the season is to deliberately ignore context. We got 6 points from our last 7 games. Literal bottom 4 form. And we still only finished 2 points off of playing in the champions league. That just is a big chance, no matter if you expected us to be in that position or not.

The ten seasons prior to this last one we averaged 69 points... So very average for Spurs is literally far from an unfair characterisation. Considering we didn't have europe or a deep cup run to deal with, it might actually be quite kind.

UEFA Euro 2024: Belgium v Romania​

Saturday 7:10 pm

Length 3 hours 20 mins​

Laura Woods is joined by Karen Carney, Ian Wright, and Tottenham Hotspur manager Ange Postecoglou for coverage of Belgium against Edward Lordanescu's Romania in Cologne.

Big Ange making his itv debut on Saturday.

Of course heā€™s been lumbered with 3 gooners. Theyā€™re a plague.

Be nice to see what he says about Radu though

Watched your first season with Ange (and the commentary on this forum šŸ˜) with interest last season. Heā€™s a manager Iā€™ve followed throughout his career not just because heā€™s from Aus, because thereā€™s plenty of terrible managers from here too, but because his philosophy on football, mentality and the guy himself Iā€™ve always enjoyed watching.

Im in Brisbane where he took the Brisbane Roar to all kinds of heights and for what itā€™s worth Iā€™ll say this

I wasnā€™t surprised by the injuries and mid to late season blips you guys experienced as the style of football he plays is high energy and it takes many players time to adapt and some just donā€™t cope with it longer term where others do. Once they come through this initial period and are more conditioned to it the volume of injuries reduces from the initial time. I know theyā€™re footballers and fit etc but thereā€™s still different levels even amongst the elite as Iā€™m sure you can see by comparing players like Ndombele and VDV and the Ndombeles of the world are moved on regardless of reputation. As the season goes on the ones that ā€œbuy inā€ because itā€™s a new manager and the ones that really truly buy in get seen and will be what Ange referred to late in the season about players and his system. The ones that donā€™t truly get on board will either be moved on or find themselves on the periphery of the squad regardless of who they are as Ange is all about the team as a unit not any single player which is why the character of a player is so important to him. Heā€™ll use this window to turn over a few and further fill the squad with the ā€œrightā€ player for how he wants the side to play both structurally and physically. Heā€™s done it time and time again with sides and they pretty much always improve second season, time will tell I guess for the ones of you doubting heā€™s up to it.

As for comments heā€™s been ā€œfound outā€ by other managers now and his inflexible system wonā€™t work etc etc itā€™s seriously laughable that you think no other manager in all his time has thought ā€œwhat if we hit them fast and wide on the counterā€?? Also if you donā€™t think while he absolutely has a style of play heā€™s steadfast on (most managers do) that he doesnā€™t tweak things depending on who heā€™s playing then youā€™re not watching very closely. Thereā€™s definitely tactical tweaks and selections made dependant on the opposition there for all to see, even some of the guys at Walkabout Creek FC! šŸ˜‰

The Prem is obviously one of the top leagues in the world with the best players, managers, everything so I understand the trepidation around Ange to a point but know he is a quality manager who will leave no stone unturned to keep driving your side to success, as heā€™s done everywhere previously.
I am fully behind Ange going in to 24-25, though one of the concerns I have is precisely how low energy so many of our performances looked. I had hoped "we never stop" would translate into a super-fit relentless side. True, we did score quite a few late goals, so there is some credence there. Buts so many flat, unenergetic showings ...

Great, insightful post.

Ignore the sarcastic 'funny' you received. There's a number of posters on this forum who enjoy baiting others, trolling, and generally shitting on anything to do with the club (you'll see who they are by the reactions to this post)

Appreciate you taking your time to post this.

Put him right on the Spot.

Luckily Wright isnā€™t a total cunt.

Laura Woods is the worst person on TV since Jimmy Saville

spew jay leno GIF

Iā€™m curious, what sort of result will be proof heā€™s been ā€œfound outā€ first 10 games next season? How many wins/losses/points?

Brisbane Roar - almost bottom turned them into back to back champions
Melbourne Victory - turned them into champions
Yokohama F Marinos - mid table hadnā€™t won for 20 years, turned them into champions
Celtic - club an absolute shambles on arrival coming off a season 25 points behind Rangers, turned them into champions and won 5 of 6 trophies on offer
Spurs - disrupted pre season, lost Kane on eve of the season and didnā€™t get to replace, brought in unknowns and youngsters into the side and was tipped to finish bottom half by quite a few, even relegated, finishes 5th and gets criticised for not finishing the season strongly enough (often happens with young players getting used to rigours of long season) and daring to say he always wants his side to win regardless of who theyā€™re playing.

Also, ā€œmost of them were just doing what theyā€˜d done beforeā€ early in the season?? Thatā€™s what you saw? Same players doing the same thing as previous? Wow.
We won 4 out of our last 10 games last season.
Needs to be a lot better than that. Closer to the first 10 games last season. I suspect it'll be more like the last. I don't give a flying fuck what he did anywhere else as it's incomparable.

Back
Top Bottom