Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Also he needs to have a Plan B. When they're 11 men in their own box you pressure and cross it in again and again. You can't play tiki taka with zero width. Did you see our wingers.
You don’t need a plan B if plan A is good enough.

As thinktank said the squad depth isn’t sufficient enough to play Plan A well enough.

As thinktank said the squad depth isn’t sufficient enough to play Plan A well enough.
We have good depth, it's stupid to thing we should have players at the level of Udogie and Porro on the bench, no one has that! Today we missed just two player from the starting eleven and we played like shit, but we played badly last week too, so no excuses we lack depth.

Even Klopp and Pep have alternative plans when their attractive tiki taka doesn't work.

To only have one style and say that's it I'm not doing anything else is fucking stupid. And arrogant.

A general problem I have noticed over the last few months is that for a pressing team, we don’t press very well at all.

We don’t win the ball in the attacking third too often, we’re late to closing down which gives them a little more time to pick out the pass to break our press, we foul needlessly in positions of strength that relieve pressure (Kulusevski is king of this).

Not sure if this is fatigue or tactical but we struggle mightily in this area in my view.

When Ange says he's only going to play one way, he's not pretending.

So, we either give him the squad he needs (to make it work the the prem), or we don't.

Everything is very, very clear and simple.

A general problem I have noticed over the last few months is that for a pressing team, we don’t press very well at all.

We don’t win the ball in the attacking third too often, we’re late to closing down which gives them a little more time to pick out the pass to break our press, we foul needlessly in positions of strength that relieve pressure (Kulusevski is king of this).

Not sure if this is fatigue or tactical but we struggle mightily in this area in my view.
Probably why he wants Gallagher.

The clear difference between now and the beginning of the season is movement and intensity in our play.

Nothing to do with being found out.

Go and watch the Sheffield Utd game at home. The low block of all low blocks. Whilst yes, we left it late, go and watch the difference in our play. The movement of the team, the pace in which we want to play at, the intensity. We were creating chances and you always felt it would come.

Today, I saw players walking. That's not on. Wasn't so much so lack of ideas, as much as it was players simply not moving around or playing with enough energy or speed.

I think losing both Porro and Udogie had a massive effect in our overall play. Emerson simply isn't suited to the team. To his credit, Davies was fine but we lose a different dynamic without Udogie there. But that's a rebuild for you. We can't do it all in one window, or even two.

Suitable back up to both Porro and Udogie today, bit more energy and fizz around our play and we win that game today. Quite comfortably too. Wolves weren't even that good. And that's the annoying thing.

My main concern is that Ange has said on multiple occasions that his teams play one way and one way only.

The issue is that everyone seems to have figured out how to blunt us and we’ve shown no semblance of a plan B.

Most modern elite managers only play one way. They have only plan A but they perfect it over years with training and buying suitable players like Klopp, Pep and to a lesser degree Arteta.

Pep came into the prem with a billion pound squad and finished 3rd, they had multiple games where they couldn’t break anyone down. Klopp finished 5th in his first season, Arteta looked like a bum at the start.

Even if Ange ain’t the guy there is nothing to suggest our first season with Klopp or Pep with this squad would have been any different. The only short cut would be to buy a bunch of elite suitable players in the summer.

There is no easy fix to improving the quality of the squad or improving the players via training. If in the second season we haven’t improved then alarm bells should ring.

Ange is going to play the same way.

The same he's always done.

Not changing it for anyone.

If you bring him to the prem to play this style, you have to give him proper depth, so when injuries/suspensions occur he can swap-in commensurate quality to keep things functional.

Tbf the rebuild has only properly begun.

A lot still to do.
Unless he invest heavily in to the team with quality ,we ain’t doing shit with the squad we have .

Back
Top Bottom