Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not a crime to admit Arteta is a good manager and tactician. There are some truths we need to accept if we are to push up the table and win more games.

As for getting 80 points, on current trajectory we are getting 72 points. Therefore, building a squad and team to get 80 points should be the next step.

I still think outside the top 3 clubs, Ange and Emery are the best performing managers, and this is reflective in the table. But Ange really needs to develop a team that is good out of possession. We are brilliant going forward and in possession, but our off the ball shape is out of sync.

I've said before, I don't want to be an 'entertaining team' that neutrals enjoy watching. I want more efficiency in our football instead of this basketball end to end stuff, because for every 4-0 win at Villa Park, the next week you can lose 3-0 to Fulham. Its not the defeat im bothered by, it's that Fulham scored 3 and could have scored more. I also hate how one simple through ball can trigger our entire team to have to leg it back - its amateurish and a really bad look.
We already are pushing up the table.
You don't go from 8th to 90 point seasons in a year.

Making us better off the ball in defense would hurt our attack. I much prefer entertaining football whilst accruing more points.
Last season was diabolical. The 2nd half of the season I didn't even care or bother to insist on watching every minute of every game.

Arteta is a twat. He's had a long time and a lot of money to achieve as much as us, bar an FA Cup nobody really gives a fuck about. But I'm not an Woolwich fan so expect our opinions to differ.

Earlier in the season, when we were losing a game or struggling to break a team down, he convinced me that he was calm and knew that if we kept playing to the system, that we would end up winning the game, and most of the time we did.
But now I'm not so sure, recently when things aren't going so well in games, he still doesn't seem to react, either with subs or trying to motivate or change things from the touchline.
Just curious. Were you at the game and see that for yourself or you were watching the match on TV and it was an assumption? Because if it's the latter, I am not sure how we can know he did nothing when the camera didn't pan to him that often.

He doesn't seem to react because we all knew he's someone who's very calm and probably thinking hard inside on how to change things. I seriously don't think he doesn't communicate with the coaches or sub players before coming on what changes will be required that need him to be so animated.

Honestly also I am so tired at seeing Conte's and Mourinho's antics by the touchline that I am perfectly fine with Ange's zen approach. I just don't see the need for him to be gesturing frantically like the lego head to show he's doing something.

Our biggest chances came mostly after subs when we were already 3-0 down and were naturally going to have a ‘flurry’ while Fulham sat in a bit.

Before that we were really struggling with them imo - particularly at the start of both halves. We were losing out in that midfield scrap which is such an important area for us because once you bypass there we have huge open spaces.

The narratives really aren’t bullshit. They’re exaggerated but we really struggled and were being repeatedly exposed at key points in this match. Of course we had our moments but look at how we came out in the first half at 1-0 down. They totally overwhelmed us and we didn’t recover at all until the score was already 3-0.
Opening 20 minutes or so they bossed us. After that we bossed them until their goal, which was against the current run of play.

Maddison should've scored when I'm pretty sure it was 0-0, as with Sons more difficult chance he is capable of doing better with.

Even at 3-0 down, if Werner takes that sitter the game does change. We never gave them anything to wobble about because we took none of our chances. They flick one in the box which spins off a knee for a perfect finish.

Our start to the season really distorted things didn't it? I think people thought we were genuinely title challengers this season (lol) so much so that it raised everyone's expectations, now when we lose it's an absolute disaster and all sense of perspective is lost

We're on for around 70-75 points this season which is as good as what you could possibly expect considering where we were at the beginning of the season.

Pochettino explicitly said he was told to prioritise top 4 for financial gain over glory
Poch said he doesn't care about cups other than the Premier and Champions Leagues, so effectively threw them until he joined Chelsea - a club he believes they matter for more than us.

Opening 20 minutes or so they bossed us. After that we bossed them until their goal, which was against the current run of play.

Maddison should've scored when I'm pretty sure it was 0-0, as with Sons more difficult chance he is capable of doing better with.

Even at 3-0 down, if Werner takes that sitter the game does change. We never gave them anything to wobble about because we took none of our chances. They flick one in the box which spins off a knee for a perfect finish.

Yeah it was, but we didn’t create enough clear openings in our period of control. And then we got exposed on the flanks (again!) for their opener.

But sure cool, you’re 1-0 down at HT. No biggie. But then letting them totally boss the first 20 mins of the second is awful. Ange won’t be happy at all with it, you can’t come out as the losing side and let the other team throttle you and kill the game off.

I’m really not bothered about us starting to play at 3-0 down. It’s fucking easy to do, same as when we miraculously started playing against Brighton.

It was a shit performance. We let them dominate the key phases of the game and only applied real, serious pressure at 3 goals down. There’s loads to work on for Ange there because too many times we’ve gone away from home and been meek.

Who gives a fuck about Top 4? Ange doesn't seem to think it's all that great either.

Obviously, Ange has made a great start and if you want him fired you are a moron. There is no way to sugar coat that. Unfortunately, we do have a lot of morons that comment very publicly about this club.

The issue with last night is not the morons though, it's with people that find last night as acceptable or no bog deal because of how well Ange has started.

If we are a serious club last night was exactly the type of shit that needs to be stamped out. The players Maddison, Bissouma, and maybe even Son need to be dropped for that stinker they put up. The younger players like Udogie, Johnson, Kulusevski and Sarr maybe get a pass but I'd have no issue with dropping anyone but Vocario, Romero, and Porro from that game.

I’ve always said cup wins over top 4.

Yeah it was, but we didn’t create enough clear openings in our period of control. And then we got exposed on the flanks (again!) for their opener.

But sure cool, you’re 1-0 down at HT. No biggie. But then letting them totally boss the first 20 mins of the second is awful. Ange won’t be happy at all with it, you can’t come out as the losing side and let the other team throttle you and kill the game off.

I’m really not bothered about us starting to play at 3-0 down. It’s fucking easy to do, same as when we miraculously started playing against Brighton.

It was a shit performance. We let them dominate the key phases of the game and only applied real, serious pressure at 3 goals down. There’s loads to work on for Ange there because too many times we’ve gone away from home and been meek.

It's not losing away to Fulham that bothers me that much - that's only our 3rd away defeat of the season (Brighton & Wolves).
City have lost 3 away (Woolwich, Villa, Wolves), Woolwich lost 3 away (Newcastle, Villa, Fulham), and Liverpool 2 away defeats (Spurs & Woolwich).
Winning away is hard. The best away wins Woolwich have are against Brentford and Palace..

It's losing 4 home games against Wolves, Villa, Chelsea & West Ham that bug me far more.
The top 3 have 1 home defeat between them (Woolwich hosting West Ham). Our home form is where I would target a need for improvement. We get 4-5 points from those 4 games and we're right up in the mix with the top 3 even with a defeat at Fulham.

We didn't come out well in the 2nd half and conceded within 5 minutes of the restart to what I think was a very fortunate goal. It wasn't a good performance but 3-0 certainly flattered them.

I’ve always said cup wins over top 4.
Whilst I would prefer a cup win over top 4, our fans have probably forgotten how short lived a cup win is.

Holds most weight for people concerned about social media banter.

It's not losing away to Fulham that bothers me that much - that's only our 3rd away defeat of the season (Brighton & Wolves).
City have lost 3 away (Woolwich, Villa, Wolves), Woolwich lost 3 away (Newcastle, Villa, Fulham), and Liverpool 2 away defeats (Spurs & Woolwich).
Winning away is hard. The best away wins Woolwich have are against Brentford and Palace..

It's losing 4 home games against Wolves, Villa, Chelsea & West Ham that bug me far more.
The top 3 have 1 home defeat between them (Woolwich hosting West Ham). Our home form is where I would target a need for improvement. We get 4-5 points from those 4 games and we're right up in the mix with the top 3 even with a defeat at Fulham.

We didn't come out well in the 2nd half and conceded within 5 minutes of the restart to what I think was a very fortunate goal. It wasn't a good performance but 3-0 certainly flattered them.

It’s not so much us losing but the manner of it

Is it too much to ask our well paid players to show some pride in their performance?

Yesterday was a disgrace imv

Winning cup finals?

Hardly. Being at Wembley and seeing your team lift the cup is life long memories. It’s why we support the club.

I don't support the club because of cups we have won, speak for yourself.
If you supported Spurs to be a glory hunter - well you definitely picked the wrong club.

Also have plenty of life long memories from supporting Spurs that didn't include winning a cup final.
Personally I celebrated harder when we beat City and Ajax in the Champions League than our 2 most recent League Cup wins.

Other fans will tell you how important winning cups are because you have no comeback. It's all relative. City fans can barely be fucked to get their hands out of their pockets to celebrate domestic cup wins.
If we won either of the domestic cups, our fans wouldn't suddenly give a rendition of "for he's a jolly good fellow" to Levy.

I don't support the club because of cups we have won, speak for yourself.
If you supported Spurs to be a glory hunter - well you definitely picked the wrong club.

Also have plenty of life long memories from supporting Spurs that didn't include winning a cup final.
Personally I celebrated harder when we beat City and Ajax in the Champions League than our 2 most recent League Cup wins.

Other fans will tell you how important winning cups are because you have no comeback. It's all relative. City fans can barely be fucked to get their hands out of their pockets to celebrate domestic cup wins.
If we won either of the domestic cups, our fans wouldn't suddenly give a rendition of "for he's a jolly good fellow" to Levy.

“The Game is all about Glory “

No use just turning up but we barely managed that yesterday!

Nobody remembers losers

Perhaps my memory is better than yours then.
There are plenty of runner ups and silver medal winners I remember and talk about fondly.

I'm a big believer in sportsmanship and competitiveness. Therefore I don't call people "losers" to satisfy armchair expectations. Someone dedicates their life to a sport, becomes a runner up - you can go "hah loser" switch off the TV and have a sandwich. Cheap and lazy.

The midfield looked miles better with Bentancur and Hojberb but it’s really hard to tell if that’s truly the case as the game was pretty much done when they came on.

Bissouma and Sarr are fantastic players and in some ways I appreciate Postecoglu not hauling one them off at half time, he could have been just protecting them.

I still have full faith in him a manager. He’s totally convinced me that hes the right person for the job, we look like we can beat everyone we play. But yesterday the manager and coaches got it wrong.

“The Game is all about Glory “

No use just turning up but we barely managed that yesterday!
Yeah certainly wasn't an 'echo of glory' in our defeat yesterday or whatever the quote is.

But that will happen. I couldn't tell you if losing 2-0 at Old Trafford in 1961 had an echo of glory about it - but probably not.

Perhaps my memory is better than yours then.
There are plenty of runner ups and silver medal winners I remember and talk about fondly.

I'm a big believer in sportsmanship and competitiveness. Therefore I don't call people "losers" to satisfy armchair expectations. Someone dedicates their life to a sport, becomes a runner up - you can go "hah loser" switch off the TV and have a sandwich. Cheap and lazy.

Ok most football fans don’t remember losers!

The lazy ones accept defeat and then have the tea and sandwiches

The whole point of entering a competition in any sport is to win it which is why there is a trophy at the end of it

The crap that people like you support has permeated our schools for too long in that they discourage winners and encourage losers who just show up
Some don’t even give winners medals anymore and give anyone who competes the same ones in case feelings are hurt

All bollox imv

You play to win otherwise don’t bother

Yeah certainly wasn't an 'echo of glory' in our defeat yesterday or whatever the quote is.

But that will happen. I couldn't tell you if losing 2-0 at Old Trafford in 1961 had an echo of glory about it - but probably not.

I think that we won something in 1961?

I think that we won something in 1961?
That's the point. The quote you referenced was from Bill Nicholson saying something like, even in defeat there's and echo of glory.

Doesn't always work like that.

Back
Top Bottom