Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have a gut feeling Ange won't be here next season. There's something going on behind the scenes, his players look disinterested and lacking motivation and I've never seen him looking more dull or disinterested himself than he did in his post match interviews today.
...well if you're thinking what I think you're thinking, then on current showing, Liverpool wouldn't go anywhere near him!

(That was what you were thinking, right?)

I have a gut feeling Ange won't be here next season. There's something going on behind the scenes, his players look disinterested and lacking motivation and I've never seen him looking more dull or disinterested himself than he did in his post match interviews today.
Yeh he was very flat, almost broken. I hope that’s just a one off and he’s not beginning to feel like this job is too much for him.
I also hope he is willing to get tough with his coaching stuff. Getting rid of Mason will be a good start. Having that serial loser there is a curse in itself.

Yeh he was very flat, almost broken. I hope that’s just a one off and he’s not beginning to feel like this job is too much for him.
I also hope he is willing to get tough with his coaching stuff. Getting rid of Mason will be a good start. Having that serial loser there is a curse in itself.
The club breaks every manager, along with the hearts and bank accounts of supporters.

...well if you're thinking what I think you're thinking, then on current showing, Liverpool wouldn't go anywhere near him!

(That was what you were thinking, right?)
Absolutely right that Liverpool won't go anywhere near him. He won't even be on their longlist, let alone their shortlist.

Always said our defence is an issue. I normally get scolded and told its been due to 'injuries'. But the preferred back 4 played and it was dreadful.

Although I still think its in large portion to do with tactics. Ive said before we play a highline for highline sake, because Ange 'believes in it'. When your defenders are constantly having to sprint back its not a good sign. When you leave yourself open to 2v2 in acres of space, its a problem. The best teams are good in and out of possession. And we are miles away from being a good team out of possession.

He looks lost at sea when it comes to what needs to happen out of possession. In Scotland most teams cant land a glove on Celtic, they can bully teams for fun. But in the PL, we are not at the top of the food chain, and even clubs below us in the food chain have great players who can throw punches.

Unless we can improve significantly out of possession, we will be a good team who plays good football but never threatens the top of the league.

There have been periods when we have taken teams to pieces since. Usually in the second half.

There’s been some good halves and good periods but I don’t think we’ve consistently played well since those opening 10 games.

Football against Wolves, Newcastle, Everton, West Ham, Brighton, Fulham etc has been poor. And even against a Forest it was good for what, 20-30 minutes of the 90? And it wasn’t sparkling.

When was the last time we had a full 90 that we were really good in and the fans could just enjoy? Even Luton, admittedly with good chance creation, had to be a panicked affair with a late winner.

He looks lost at sea when it comes to what needs to happen out of possession. In Scotland most teams cant land a glove on Celtic, they can bully teams for fun. But in the PL, we are not at the top of the food chain, and even clubs below us in the food chain have great players who can throw punches.

Unless we can improve significantly out of possession, we will be a good team who plays good football but never threatens the top of the league.
You can play a high line in Scotland against, what is effectively equivalent to, league 1 or 2 down south.
It isn't or will work properly against top opposition, even teams in the bottom half have worked out how to stop us.

There’s been some good halves and good periods but I don’t think we’ve consistently played well since those opening 10 games.

Football against Wolves, Newcastle, Everton, West Ham, Brighton, Fulham etc has been poor. And even against a Forest it was good for what, 20-30 minutes of the 90? And it wasn’t sparkling.

When was the last time we had a full 90 that we were really good in and the fans could just enjoy? Even Luton, admittedly with good chance creation, had to be a panicked affair with a late winner.
It has been poor for months.

RIght before the first half ended, Newcastle had a freekick in their own half, and we held the line at the halfway line, leaving a big gap between the defensive line and Vicario. And I was just trying to figure out what advantage there is in doing this.

Ill say it again. Ange 'believes' in a high line.

We all know that 4th-6th is out level. With the loss of Kane and a new coach, the expectation was that 6th was a realistic expectation.

The problem is, we would have expected them to mature over the season and get better - showing glimpses of what we can expect next year.

Instead, we have seen a 1 dimensional system completely found out and no attempts to adjust.

We are a disaster out of possession, with our defenders sprinting endlessly to get back into position and our number 6 lost on the halfway line slowly jogging back.

For whatever reason, we ALWAYS leave no cover on the opposite flank. We try to compress the ball and as a result, a simple switch of play leaves us looking like headless chickens.

Of course, a completely different game had Werner scored his 2 early chances. And therein lies the dilemma - will the system work with the right players?

Of course, a completely different game had Werner scored his 2 early chances. And therein lies the dilemma - will the system work with the right players?

That's actually been a feature of his other teams: His Australia in 2014 had enough really great chances to beat Netherlands at the World Cup. Celtic should have beaten Real Madrid at home, they should have beaten Leipzig, they should have beaten Betis, twice, they created enough golden chances to do it. His teams lacked the individual quality to put them away.

The system opens teams up, any team, but it also leaves it open too.

The chances-especially the early ones- have to be taken otherwise todays result is what happens.

So as the last few post say, "the system could work with the right players" how much would it cost to get the right players ? who are the right players?
in the EPL most teams have a few good players, and most teams have good managers who can change to fit what they have to do
Surely if Ange was good he would see we don't have the players that fit his sysyem *we will score more than you" and adapt it
by having a high line our players need to see a pass and move into space, when do our CH ever play a long early ball for Son to use his pace ?
having the CH needing to use their pace every time there is an attack must burn out those CH's over 1-2 seasons
Not changing from Zonal marking at corners to man to man marking is madness, (if zonal marking was working we won't concern as many chances at corners)
in the EPL only a few teams can play their style every game (City, Liverpool) even the gooners chanced how they play against City

Back
Top Bottom