Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You have more chance of getting nappy rash than that occurring, get real!
Weird take. In the summer they will have a new manager, and new signings. Their team isn't that bad .

In the summer we will do nothing. The chances that they will be better than us next season are very high

I'm happy with 5th place this season. I'm not gonna lie, I was genuinely expecting a midtable finish after last season and with Kane going in the Summer.

At the end of next season he would have had 4 transfer windows and 2 full seasons so that will be the time to make judgment on if it's gonna be a successful project or not. We've been playing crap stuff for ages but I still believe that is down to the personnel not being adequate for the system. We played some abysmal stuff in Pochs first season and I remember us getting pumped by Stoke near the end of that season and similar questions popping up about lack of bite in attack and not being able to see the overall vision going forward. It's in the clubs hands now to get players in to suit the system.

I've said it before, if not for Vicario making some amazing saves early in the season we'd be mid table now.
We don't seem to have good enough players, I don't dislike Richarlison but he's never going to be a heavy goal scorer. So we bought him not so long ago and need to upgrade already.
What i said too many cooks we bought Richarlison for the wrong reasons. He does not fit what Ange or Antonio needed out of a striker but Antonio wanted him because he was an experienced premier league player same wiht Bissouma and we only signed either because we believed we could get them for under market value.

I'm happy with 5th place this season. I'm not gonna lie, I was genuinely expecting a midtable finish after last season and with Kane going in the Summer.

At the end of next season he would have had 4 transfer windows and 2 full seasons so that will be the time to make judgment on if it's gonna be a successful project or not. We've been playing crap stuff for ages but I still believe that is down to the personnel not being adequate for the system. We played some abysmal stuff in Pochs first season and I remember us getting pumped by Stoke near the end of that season and similar questions popping up about lack of bite in attack and not being able to see the overall vision going forward. It's in the clubs hands now to get players in to suit the system.
You have made some very good points there.
I think 5th will be a very respectable finish, as would 6th.
Those first 10 games gave people that false hope that we were better than we actually were.
You only have to read " can we win the league" thread for that.

Good point about pochs first season. I can point probably about 5 games we actually played well and I enjoyed watching it.
We could however see a certain style such as the pressing. I've not seen anything as regards to what our pattern and style will be next season

It’s the people that won’t stick with a manager and then have the audacity to moan that we’ve been in a “constant rebuild since the 80s/90s”

If we keep changing managers we’ll have to keep buying players for different styles so the team will never be settled you fools!

Kill Me What GIF by ZIP ZIP

We all know who these clowns are.

But didn't we start the rebuild when we got Kulusevski, Bentancur Peresic? We've been rebuilding for years.

We started a rebuild in 2019.
Since then it’s just been a conveyor belt of players who don’t fit the next managers playing style.

Poch got 4 months.
Then mourinho. Less than 24 months
Nuno. 4 months.
Conte. Less than 24 months.

Ange broke the 4 month barrier.
Let’s hope he lasts more than 24 months and we could actually see his own squad taking shape.

At the start of the season the overwhelming consensus was that Europa league and an inprovement in playing style would be a good first season.

That is now the very minimum we will get. I’d still make us more likely than not to get CL given that 5th will likely do it.

It’s been a strong first season and there’s something to build on for next season.

Look at where United are who are further along and Chelsea who got the manager more people wanted AND who have spent ridiculous money!!

But didn't we start the rebuild when we got Kulusevski, Bentancur Peresic? We've been rebuilding for years.

For a completely different manager, with a completely different style...

If you bring a manager in with a completely different style and mindset. You give HIM his own tools. You don't pass down the previous workers. 46 year old Perisic should not be part of anyones rebuild.

We've been "rebuilding" for years because we've been trying to act like something we're not for the past 5 years.

We haven't rebuilt fully since 2015. Nearly 10 years ago. And that's exactly why we're in the position we have been over the last few years.

Last season we had Lloris, Davies, Dier, Kane, Son in our starting eleven. HALF the same team that started here nearly a decade prior.

We've finally got a manager in place, a scouting department and an actual data driven approach like a modern football club and are getting somewhere.

We've made excellent signings that are more in tune with what this manager wants and the system he wants to play. But we're nowhere near done and we still need a good 5 or 6 signings.

Or we could sack it all in. Get a new manager in, start all over again, rinse repeat.

What i said too many cooks we bought Richarlison for the wrong reasons. He does not fit what Ange or Antonio needed out of a striker but Antonio wanted him because he was an experienced premier league player same wiht Bissouma and we only signed either because we believed we could get them for under market value.

Let's not kid ourselves thinking we're rebuilding, we have rebuilt it's just that the rebuild isn't working.
We're not gettig the best out of our players so we think we're still rebuilding.

Put it like this, if we were playing now like we were at the start of the season people would be thinking the rebuild is done, or about done but because we're playing poorly we think the rebuild is still under way. I'd guess we've bought/loaned in about 20 players over the past 3 years.

It’s the people that won’t stick with a manager and then have the audacity to moan that we’ve been in a “constant rebuild since the 80s/90s”

If we keep changing managers we’ll have to keep buying players for different styles so the team will never be settled you fools!

Kill Me What GIF by ZIP ZIP
To be fair other than perhaps Nuno i dont remember fans in the ground turning on any manager. Certainly didnt with Conte, Poch, Redknapp, Jol. All sacked, not from a lack of patience from fans. That came from the board. Fans probably would have turned on Mourinho but for Covid.

If its a few people on fan sites moaning then that would apply to every club as generally they are a place to vent. If anything i think we're a pretty tolerant lot and there has been possibly too much hype and hero worship of managers that havent achieved much.

To be fair other than perhaps Nuno i dont remember fans in the ground turning on any manager. Certainly didnt with Conte, Poch, Redknapp, Jol. All sacked, not from a lack of patience from fans. That came from the board. Fans probably would have turned on Mourinho but for Covid.

If its a few people on fan sites moaning then that would apply to every club as generally they are a place to vent. If anything i think we're a pretty tolerant lot and there has been possibly too much hype and hero worship of managers that havent achieved much.

People definitely turned on Conte and Poch.

Funny that the fans at the ground sang Antonio as if he was the best ever, but on here posters generally disapproved of him.

LeParisien LeParisien - things changed after the start to the season we had.
Thats it for me. I would have been happy with 6th at the start of the season with better football and signs of a plan but circumstances change over a season. Man U, Newcastle and Chelsea have been abysmal, we have played a grand total of 3 cup games and obviously had that amazing start to put us in a great position. Given Villa are in Europe and our team is at least as good i think it'll be dissapointing not to get 4th.

Back
Top Bottom