Another new manager poll (apologies)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which of the 3 favourites would you pick as new manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thats really not a blow IMO.

Would be a disaster with us. Rather gamble on more of an unknown. Benitez is entirely "known" and not a fit for us at all.

I know it's probably the feverish almost child-like excitement I have built up over the start of the World Cup (23 days to go!!! Fuck yeah!!!), and the sheer size of this excitement meaning I simply have no space left to be interested in Spurs until mid-July, but my take on this is: all the fellas mentioned are good managers, with good records and good methods, so as long as we get one of them it'll be cool.

And if he turns out shit we'll sack him and and get another one.

As long as Paul Ince or Brian Robson aren't announced tomorrow I'm good.
or Roy Keane..............

Would be a disaster with us.
Any more facts you would like to state from your glass ball?

One of Europe's top managers in the last 10 years a disaster for the Mighty Spurs in favour of some no mark who has a shitter record than Pullis

Laughable

Any more facts you would like to state from your glass ball?

One of Europe's top managers in the last 10 years a disaster for the Mighty Spurs in favour of some no mark who has a shitter record than Pullis

Laughable

What is laughable is your deliberate intent to cause friction.

I might not have written "IMO" several times through that post, but it is clearly my opinion.

Benitez is a very good, and successful coach, but I just dont think he will fit with us at all. Apart from being somewhat erratic I think the biggest issue would be the style of play - it just wouldnt win him any support.

I feel FDB is going to be a gamble like AVB was, a young guy who has won trophies, but for who Tottenham would be his biggest challenge (let's ignore AVB's time at Chelsea, because it seemed Levy did). He might turn out to be good, but I can only see another heart breaking the season after next (like this one) with FDB onboard, after promising so much in his first season. Just another manager Levy sacked.

Benitez on the other hand is proven at this level, and I feel I'll know what we'll get. A decent league performance along with good cup runs. And some improvements in the players we have in the squad already. I'll take that. I just don't want no broken dreams anymore.

Benitez is a very good, and successful coach, but I just dont think he will fit with us at all. Apart from being somewhat erratic I think the biggest issue would be the style of play - it just wouldnt win him any support.
Why would he not fit with us, especially after AVB's football?

His teams have consistently scored goals and played expansive football - if that was the main gripe with AVB surely the majority of fans should respond positively to that? And if not - what exactly is the issue with a man who has delivered in the past in Europe's top leagues

You say we should gamble but the last 2 such moves with Ramos and AVB were disasters - shouldn't we now opt for a proven, experienced name to steady the ship instead of giving some no-mark and opportunity to play real-life FM with a 200m squad and improve his CV? How many more projects can ENIC manage to handle and continue to swipe it under the carpet?

Why would he not fit with us, especially after AVB's football?

His teams have consistently scored goals and played expansive football - if that was the main gripe with AVB surely the majority of fans should respond positively to that? And if not - what exactly is the issue with a man who has delivered in the past in Europe's top leagues

You say we should gamble but the last 2 such moves with Ramos and AVB were disasters - shouldn't we now opt for a proven, experienced name to steady the ship instead of giving some no-mark and opportunity to play real-life FM with a 200m squad and improve his CV? How many more projects can ENIC manage to handle and continue to swipe it under the carpet?

"Expansive" is certainly not the word I would use. "Boring" "Dull" or "Tedious" would be. Ive mentioned it a few times - his teams do score goals, I think it was the year they finished 2nd under him they scored more than anyone (by a distance), and yet were the dullest team imaginable. Its coutner intuitive, but its the way it was.

There is no adventure to his sides, no real attacking philosophy, just a grind them down - pick them off kind of ethos. I genuinely do not think that will be well recieved here at all.

Aside from which he is frankly mad in the transfer market, and left Liverpool in a real mess. And he has proven he will crack under pressue. Again, not features I think will appeal to Spurs fans - as I said - "known".

I actually think a little excitement and hope in a lesser known quantity would be better recieved.

As to gambles I would say Jol was a gamble, and was a success. I would also say Redknapp was a gamble and its certainly hard to argue with his record.

For me experience is nice, its not essential. What do we want in a manager? Find one with as many of those attributes as possible.

For me entertaining, positive football is a must. A tactical blueprint, promotion of youth, development of players are all key too. There is plenty more beside. Both Pochettino and FDB tick more boxes than Benitez for me.

shouldn't we now opt for a proven, experienced name to steady the ship

Can't agree more with this. The most successful of our recent managers had bags of managerial experience in several teams and a lengthy managerial career, I think that counts for a lot, and when you look at the top 5 teams at the moment all of them are employing a manager with vast experience.

As to gambles I would say Jol was a gamble, and was a success. I would also say Redknapp was a gamble and its certainly hard to argue with his record.
Redknapp wasn't a gamble in the slightest - proven PL manager with bags of experience - exactly what we needed at the time. Not some Johnny Foreigner with a few random wins under his belly.

Redknapp wasn't a gamble in the slightest - proven PL manager with bags of experience - exactly what we needed at the time. Not some Johnny Foreigner with a few random wins under his belly.

Redknapp was a jobbing manager of lower level teams. No experience of the top level at all, or europe, or the sort of resources we had.

He was absolutely a gamble, IMO.

"Expansive" is certainly not the word I would use. "Boring" "Dull" or "Tedious" would be. Ive mentioned it a few times - his teams do score goals, I think it was the year they finished 2nd under him they scored more than anyone (by a distance), and yet were the dullest team imaginable. Its coutner intuitive, but its the way it was.

There is no adventure to his sides, no real attacking philosophy, just a grind them down - pick them off kind of ethos. I genuinely do not think that will be well recieved here at all.
This particular point is is a strawman argument, if I've ever seen one

If we were to score the highest number of goals in the league, I doubt many would be bothered about whether those were entertaining or not. In any case the argument is bizarre to say the least - you don't score so many goals playing AVB-football - numbers don't lie. And if you've watched much of Serie A last season - Napoli played great attacking football, almost on par with Roma. If could match that, only a clown would find something to moan about.

Redknapp was a jobbing manager of lower level teams. No experience of the top level at all, or europe, or the sort of resources we had.

He was absolutely a gamble, IMO.
He had manged in the PL for over 10 years and delivered (within his relative objectives) - comparing him to AVB or Ramos in terms of 'gamble' is preposterous

This particular point is is a strawman argument, if I've ever seen one

If we were to score the highest number of goals in the league, I doubt many would be bothered about whether those were entertaining or not. In any case the argument is bizarre to say the least - you don't score so many goals playing AVB-football - numbers don't lie. And if you've watched much of Serie A last season - Napoli played great attacking football, almost on par with Roma. If could match that, only a clown would find something to moan about.

How exactly is it a straw man? It is a view I have held for many years and never had a reason to change. Liverpool were as dull as dishwater under him, even when leading the league on goals.

If we were so dull would our fans be complaining, EVEN with so many goals? Of course they would. Just look at this place, people can moan about anything.

As an aside, another thing going against him is that he is "the fat spanish waiter". A source of ridicule for many years for many of the fanbase. How many are likely to not hold that against him and do an about face if he were appointed?

He had manged in the PL for over 10 years and delivered - comparing him to AVB or Ramos in terms of 'gamble' is preposterous

He had managed shit in the premier league, without the budget or resource we have, staying up was success for him - to suggest it is equitable to challenging for honours and all that entails is what is preposterous.

I must admit I do find it amusing you seem to have done a complete U turn on your previous views. Im quite sure the sun shone out of AVBs ass where you were concerned.

I must admit I do find it amusing you seem to have done a complete U turn on your previous views. Im quite sure the sun shone out of AVBs ass where you were concerned.
No such thing - he should have been given the season period. However - in terms of taking a gamble he's up there with Ramos and fans were booing within games already.

Back
Top Bottom