Another new manager poll (apologies)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which of the 3 favourites would you pick as new manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With FDB or Benitez, in charge, Come the end of next season we are going to finish in an automatic CL play
off place. If not next season, then the season after. This is what I,m reading between the lines of some posts.
Whilst Enic, hold the purse strings, (and doing a fair job imo) this is unlikely to happen. Will FBD/Benitez be
happy, finishing 5th/6th and having a decent cup run in The Europa? Maybe? But I not only think Pochettino
can also achieve this, realistic goal, but he will do it with an on the pitch flair and be content to work with the
majority of our current squad (usual 4 out, 4 in scenario) and imo opinion, will steady the ship, quicker and
therefore give us that much needed long-term stability (better than the other 2) after the last 9 months.

COYS!!

Big difference is he had 'winners' playing career which ought to give him extra kudos with both players and fans.

(I am aware of the number of highly successful managers with little or no playing careers just pointing out a significant difference between FDB and AVB)

Indeed. One has to admit, any given player playing under a coach that has played at least the level at which he's coaching is much easier for that player to respect than a man who's never been paid a penny to kick a ball. It is also inevitably easier for that manager to empathize with psychological aspect of the game as well, a component of the game and player development in particular which is often under-appreciated.

If you have a contract and you argue with the boss and walk out during a meeting saying "I quit" then it's not a sacking, but if your boss says "do you think you should stay" and you say "I don't think I can do the job any more" and your boss agrees, what is that? I think that's more likely to be what happened, and it's neither sacking or resigning, just kind of mutual

Hey, if that's what you want to imagine happened, then all well and good.
I really don't care one way or another, I have no investment in the issue, the fact is his contract was terminated, whether it was done with sweet kisses and chocolates or a dismembered teddy bear is of little interest to me.
My take - AVB could not afford to get sacked, let go or prematurely terminated if he wanted any credibility in the employment market, so soon after his premature termination at Chelsea, so I'm guessing he was given the boot and fistful of cash to go before his contract was up.

With FDB or Benitez, in charge, Come the end of next season we are going to finish in an automatic CL play
off place. If not next season, then the season after. This is what I,m reading between the lines of some posts.
Whilst Enic, hold the purse strings, (and doing a fair job imo) this is unlikely to happen. Will FBD/Benitez be
happy, finishing 5th/6th and having a decent cup run in The Europa? Maybe? But I not only think Pochettino
can also achieve this, realistic goal, but he will do it with an on the pitch flair and be content to work with the
majority of our current squad (usual 4 out, 4 in scenario) and imo opinion, will steady the ship, quicker and
therefore give us that much needed long-term stability (better than the other 2) after the last 9 months.

COYS!!

I like the point you're making here, but why do you feel Poch would provide more stability than the others? If I'm honest, I view him as providing the least amount of certainty of the three.

I like the point you're making here, but why do you feel Poch would provide more stability than the others? If I'm honest, I view him as providing the least amount of certainty of the three.
Of course, I agree any manager comes with a certain % of uncertainty. And my reasons are more gut felt
than states based. I personally think, he of all the 3 is the less egotistical. That dose not mean to say, that
he lacks confidence or ambition. Benitez for me, won't be happy finishing season in, season out behind the
big 4. Enic will not, can not, fund him, for what he will want/need. FDB is use to being a championship winning
manager, albeit in the Dutch league. Also had a fantastic/successful career as a player. All impressive, but
again, will he continue to be happy coming (5th/6th) second best?

These are my reasons that I feel Poch will do as well as either of the other 2, but also be a little more realistic
of where we are in the pay grade. And as a result of this be the long-term steadier appointment and still
produce the style of play we expect at The Lane.

Just my opinion!

COYS!!

Of course, I agree any manager comes with a certain % of uncertainty. And my reasons are more gut felt
than states based. I personally think, he of all the 3 is the less egotistical. That dose not mean to say, that
he lacks confidence or ambition. Benitez for me, won't be happy finishing season in, season out behind the
big 4. Enic will not, can not, fund him, for what he will want/need. FDB is use to being a championship winning
manager, albeit in the Dutch league. Also had a fantastic/successful career as a player. All impressive, but

These are my reasons that I feel Poch will do as well as either of the other 2, but also be a little more realistic
of where we are in the pay grade. And as a result of this be the long-term steadier appointment and still

Just my opinion!

COYS!!
your margins are all fucked up m8

Just my opinion!

COYS!!

All fair assumptions, but have you read many comments from de Boer? Guy seems very down-to-earth and subtle by my take. He may well-liked by van Gaal, but it isn't because they have a laugh together over dropping their pants in front of their squads.

For what it's worth, Sherwood said on Goals on Sunday that Baldini consults closely with the manager and nobody is signed without the managers agreement.
Fair enough. It does make you wonder how much control the manager has though. AVB wanted Hulk and Moutinho and got neither. Could be wrong but I'm not sure the technical directors are all they're made out to be.

Fair enough. It does make you wonder how much control the manager has though. AVB wanted Hulk and Moutinho and got neither. Could be wrong but I'm not sure the technical directors are all they're made out to be.

Yeah I'm sorry, especially to Lister Lister , but I still remain unconvinced the manager at Spurs has had as much say in player transfers as Sherwood's lines suggest. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but he seemingly went over and above to praise all things about the club in that interview, which is something potential employers are going to like to see. I'm not saying he necessarily lied about anything, but I do think he possibly stretched some truths.

To be fair they had a bloody good go at getting Moutinho until Porto fucked it up and Hulk wasn't ever really going to happen.

Yeah I'm sorry, especially to Lister Lister , but I still remain unconvinced the manager at Spurs has had as much say in player transfers as Sherwood's lines suggest. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but he seemingly went over and above to praise all things about the club in that interview, which is something potential employers are going to like to see. I'm not saying he necessarily lied about anything, but I do think he possibly stretched some truths.

Personally I think Levy is the sort to have a pretty ironclad "No bad mouthing/shut your mouth" clause as part of severance.

Take note of AVB, barely said a word upon his leaving. Obviously thats impossible for Sherwood :dawsonlol:

Anyway, I digress. For years now we have mentioned buying by committee, its a team effort, the manager is part of that team.

Do I think the manager gets carte blanche to buy players? No. Do I think he has input into, and agrees on players? Absolutely.

Benitez has been round the block. He's got the experience cum knowledge of the PL to handle that bombastic twat at Chelski and Deidrie Barlow at Woolwich plus he has managed the bin dippers with trophies. He get' s my vote.

All fair assumptions, but have you read many comments from de Boer? Guy seems very down-to-earth and subtle by my take. He may well-liked by van Gaal, but it isn't because they have a laugh together over dropping their pants in front of their squads.
Am I gonna be disappointed if FDB comes. Of course not! Undoubted quality. Just for me Poch edges it for the
reasons given. And I don't mind admitting, I,m EPL experience obsessed!!

COYS!!

Ps, Also good to receive a disagreeing post with a bit of thought!:adethumbup:

Personally I think Levy is the sort to have a pretty ironclad "No bad mouthing/shut your mouth" clause as part of severance.

Take note of AVB, barely said a word upon his leaving. Obviously thats impossible for Sherwood :dawsonlol:

Anyway, I digress. For years now we have mentioned buying by committee, its a team effort, the manager is part of that team.

Do I think the manager gets carte blanche to buy players? No. Do I think he has input into, and agrees on players? Absolutely.

It seems we may be speaking of the same thing, just in relative terms. I've no doubt AVB had say in every one of the players we brought in, but to me it doesn't seem he got first preferences and had to make due with many options he may have needed coaxing to agree on.

It seems we may be speaking of the same thing, just in relative terms. I've no doubt AVB had say in every one of the players we brought in, but to me it doesn't seem he got first preferences and had to make due with many options he may have needed coaxing to agree on.

Is that because it was a flat "No! We want someone else!" or "Thats just not viable/its a hell of a lot of money..."
By group consensus will always mean compromise somewhere, but that decisions are made in the best interest.

Without being really negative I can just seen nothing but AVB Version 2 with Pochettino. Sacked after 18 months (max) and we'll THEN go back in for De Boer who by that point will be looking at a different job. Hoping I'm wrong but it's just too spursy not to happen.

For me its
1 Benitez
2 FDB
3 MP (I'm not even going to try spelling his name)

My beef with MP is that I think the squad need someone to pull them together and instill a bit of confidence (even when some supporters yell different) - I'm not sure how well his translator will do in this regard.

I know it's probably the feverish almost child-like excitement I have built up over the start of the World Cup (23 days to go!!! Fuck yeah!!!), and the sheer size of this excitement meaning I simply have no space left to be interested in Spurs until mid-July, but my take on this is: all the fellas mentioned are good managers, with good records and good methods, so as long as we get one of them it'll be cool.

And if he turns out shit we'll sack him and and get another one.

As long as Paul Ince or Brian Robson aren't announced tomorrow I'm good.

Back
Top Bottom