Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Conte made it clear that his ambition is to win titles - not compete for 4th place.

So, to match his ambition, the club needs to upgrade our squad to make up a 20+ point difference and 40+ goal difference.

That's a very big ask....and a very big cheque book.

Conte has made it clear that he is not happy with his bench - Rodon, Sanchez, Bergjwin, Moura, Winks.

We can see that he doesn't trust any of his full backs - Sess, Reggie, Royal, Doherty

And of course, we have the out of favor players on loan - Lo Celso, Ndombele, Gil

We clearly cannot clear out 12+ players over 1 summer; so I suspect there is not a chance that he is with us beyond summer.

Conte made it clear that his ambition is to win titles - not compete for 4th place.

So, to match his ambition, the club needs to upgrade our squad to make up a 20+ point difference and 40+ goal difference.

That's a very big ask....and a very big cheque book.

Conte has made it clear that he is not happy with his bench - Rodon, Sanchez, Bergjwin, Moura, Winks.

We can see that he doesn't trust any of his full backs - Sess, Reggie, Royal, Doherty

And of course, we have the out of favor players on loan - Lo Celso, Ndombele, Gil

We clearly cannot clear out 12+ players over 1 summer; so I suspect there is not a chance that he is with us beyond summer.
Had we had Conte from the beginning of the season, as well as Kulu and Bentancur, we'd be at least 10-15 points better off than we are right now. Don't forget we're third on the table since he took over.

It’s all conjecture but the expression “Conte must be backed” means compromise on both sides. He’ll need to be realistic with his targets (we’re not signing Haaland) and the club needs to accept that we’re at a crossroads and act accordingly.

Of course getting 4th and champions league is the game changer, it gives us a much broader target base in terms of signings

Had we had Conte from the beginning of the season, as well as Kulu and Bentancur, we'd be at least 10-15 points better off than we are right now. Don't forget we're third on the table since he took over.

Under Conte we dropped points to Brentford, Brighton, Southampton (twice), United, Burnley, Southampton, Wolves, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool

Nuno dropped points to United, Chelsea, Woolwich, Palace, West Ham.
So, to be 10-15 points better off - are you suggesting Conte would have won all of those games?

And 10-15 points better off still puts us nowhere near the title race. We'd need 23+ points to be in the mix.

It’s all conjecture but the expression “Conte must be backed” means compromise on both sides. He’ll need to be realistic with his targets (we’re not signing Haaland) and the club needs to accept that we’re at a crossroads and act accordingly.

Of course getting 4th and champions league is the game changer, it gives us a much broader target base in terms of signings
So we need Levy to something he does not do , cave in to manager demands somewhat. We also need Conte to do something he does not do , be reasonable and patient .
jennifer lawrence ok GIF

It's not a game changer, we were in the CL before and nothing changed, in fact it got worse when we didn't make a single signing in the 2018 summer transfer window.

Under Conte we dropped points to Brentford, Brighton, Southampton (twice), United, Burnley, Southampton, Wolves, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool

Nuno dropped points to United, Chelsea, Woolwich, Palace, West Ham.
So, to be 10-15 points better off - are you suggesting Conte would have won all of those games?

And 10-15 points better off still puts us nowhere near the title race. We'd need 23+ points to be in the mix.
I'm saying Conte would have done 10-15 points better than we have overall this season if he had a full preseason, summer transfer window, etc.

The added matches and practices I strongly believe would have led to more results against the likes of Brighton, etc later in the season because his team would be better practiced in his style. Hed also have more than a single useful wing back.

No, we wouldn't be title contending this season with a whole season of Conte. I simply said we'd be a lot more competitive, and with another summer transfer period, we may well be pushing (not necessarily winning) for the title.

I'm saying Conte would have done 10-15 points better than we have overall this season if he had a full preseason, summer transfer window, etc.

The added matches and practices I strongly believe would have led to more results against the likes of Brighton, etc later in the season because his team would be better practiced in his style. Hed also have more than a single useful wing back.

No, we wouldn't be title contending this season with a whole season of Conte. I simply said we'd be a lot more competitive, and with another summer transfer period, we may well be pushing (not necessarily winning) for the title.

Yep.

Talk of being title contenders is farcical. We never were near that stratosphere.

So is suggesting that under Conte, with a full season, we would NOT have secured a CL spot.

Yep.

Talk of being title contenders is farcical. We never were near that stratosphere.

So is suggesting that under Conte, with a full season, we would NOT have secured a CL spot.

There was barely any pre season. All the players were off at international competitions, and many reported back to training just a few days before kick off for the City game.

Conte has had 7 months with the squad - and still failed to beat Brighton and Brentford with 7 days reset between games. You think pre season games against MK Dons and Colchester would have turned our (absent) squad into world beaters in a new 3-4-3 formation?

We had 2 of our starting 11 available for pre season - Dier and Son.

with nuno we would have had the points of Wolves right now, so yes conte has done about 10 points over the due.
but you don't have to add those points to those we have today, but to those we would have had todaywithout conte

There was barely any pre season. All the players were off at international competitions, and many reported back to training just a few days before kick off for the City game.

Conte has had 7 months with the squad - and still failed to beat Brighton and Brentford with 7 days reset between games. You think pre season games against MK Dons and Colchester would have turned our (absent) squad into world beaters in a new 3-4-3 formation?

Nope. Never said world beaters.

All I suggested was that with "more" time Conte would have made selections and game plans to suit the squad at hand.

Granted, the losses you refer to are unacceptable under any coach.

However, don't tell me we dont look more threatening or "likely" under Conte's regime.

Funnily enough i dont think the sticking point will come with money available as there are a lot of very good players on a free and 1 year left on their contracts. As ever it will be the timing of signings, he wont sit around until the end of August waiting for 3 or 4 players to arrive. Even worse it will be around age/experience and this is where i would have some sympathy for the clubs stance. Nothing wrong with 1 maybe 2, 29 years+ players coming but you cant give someone that might not hang around for long free reign to pack the squad with older players.

Funnily enough i dont think the sticking point will come with money available as there are a lot of very good players on a free and 1 year left on their contracts. As ever it will be the timing of signings, he wont sit around until the end of August waiting for 3 or 4 players to arrive. Even worse it will be around age/experience and this is where i would have some sympathy for the clubs stance. Nothing wrong with 1 maybe 2, 29 years+ players coming but you cant give someone that might not hang around for long free reign to pack the squad with older players.
Agreed, older players are ok depending on where they play on the pitch but you wouldn't want a team full of 29/30 year old, it would be a financial disaster.

It's not a game changer, we were in the CL before and nothing changed, in fact it got worse when we didn't make a single signing in the 2018 summer transfer window.

Where did the money go?

[Clue: massive shiny thing in on the high road]

Sorry you're speaking nonsense, a full pre season and a transfer window would have had us performing much better than we are now, plus we wouldn't have seen Kane throw his toys out the pram and go missing in the first 3 months of the season.

Nobody thinks we have to be dropping 80m on a player, but Romero was a 42m CB which is more than we've ever spent on a defender, Kulu if purchased will have cost us 30m+ and Bentancur was 20m. This is decent spending and it will need to continue.

Fabrizio Romano stated Conte wants 6 players. I think we're looking at 120m or so net spend to make that happen, unless there's a shock major sale. That would be decent, obviously if we can find players for 10/15m who are brilliant it's even better, but unlikely. If the right players are available we need to spend.

So which 6 would you get rid of?

Winks
Royal
Sess
Berg
Dier
Sanchez

For me

But I thought we was always told the massive shiny thing on the high road wouldn’t affect our transfer dealings,

Alas it did........ (Poch also left money on the table!)

However, this has all been discussed 100s of times before.

Peeps just need to grow up and stop pretending it (the CL money) was 'stolen' by Levy.

Last edited:
Alas it did........ (Poch also left money on the table!)

However, this has all been discussed 100s of times before.

Peeps just need to grow up and stop pretending it was 'stolen' by Levy.
What money did he leave on the table?

Back
Top Bottom