Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You’re conveniently forgetting that he threatened to resign just before the final thus destabilising his side

It’s called ‘bottling it’ imv

He didn't 'threaten' to resign, the whole point of what he said was that winning the CL with Spurs would be the pinnacle and he'd never match that again. He wasn't trying to hold the club to ransom, just express how big a deal it was that we were in the final.

I think it was the wrong thing to say. But we didn't play particularly badly in that final so we were hardly destabilised. They just had more at either ends of the pitch, which we knew before the game..

I’ve never said Poch wasn’t good in most of his tenure with us or that we weren’t good to watch but that doesn’t win you trophies and we never came close if you’re honest
So if you like watching good football without winning anything Poch is the manager for you but I want more

You were scathing about Jose but at least he’s a proven winner as evidenced again at Roma and had he been given a chance he would have done so with us but got sacked just before a cup final in the most bizarre fashion

I would accept that the football served during that period wasn’t great but he deserved another season imv

All that was evidenced by Roma was that a team who reached a EL semi final last season + invested over 90 million were able to beat Vitesse, Bodo, Leicester & Feyenoord. Jose took it all overly seriously because he knows these kind of cups are the limit of his abilities now.

The only thing Jose could ever have won for us was the same competition, because he'd have focused heavily on it at the expense of the league and bus parked his way with Son & Kane to beating a bunch of nobody teams, before crying and having the audacity to act like we'd won the champions league.

All that was evidenced by Roma was that a team who reached a EL semi final last season + invested over 90 million were able to beat Vitesse, Bodo, Leicester & Feyenoord. Jose took it all overly seriously because he knows these kind of cups are the limit of his abilities now.

The only thing Jose could ever have won for us was the same competition, because he'd have focused heavily on it at the expense of the league and bus parked his way with Son & Kane to beating a bunch of nobody teams, before crying and having the audacity to act like we'd won the champions league.

Do you agree with the timing of his sacking?

Do you agree with the timing of his sacking?

No, I think he should have been sacked after we lost 3-0 in a huge game to a Croatian side whose manager was sat in prison.

I wasn't overly bothered about him being sacked before the final. I firmly believe we lose it anyway. But from a PR perspective it was a bad move because it gave Jose a sob story when in reality his sacking was entirely deserved. It should've been done after the final or a good bit before.

No, I think he should have been sacked after we lost 3-0 in a huge game to a Croatian side whose manager was sat in prison.

I wasn't overly bothered about him being sacked before the final. I firmly believe we lose it anyway. But from a PR perspective it was a bad move because it gave Jose a sob story when in reality his sacking was entirely deserved. It should've been done after the final or a good bit before.
That 3-0 game was a shitshow for the whole club I agree but even with Mason in charge of the League Cup final there was a period in the second half when City started to run out of ideas and the game was there for the taking with astute subs etc

But due to his inexperience or whatever he brought Sissoko on and we lost

So it wasn’t a clear cut defeat at all and I would question the loyalty of any fan writing his own team off before any game as you clearly did

That 3-0 game was a shitshow for the whole club I agree but even with Mason in charge of the League Cup final there was a period in the second half when City started to run out of ideas and the game was there for the taking with astute subs etc

But due to his inexperience or whatever he brought Sissoko on and we lost

So it wasn’t a clear cut defeat at all and I would question the loyalty of any fan writing his own team off before any game as you clearly did

I didn't 'write us off'.

I said I think we lose even if Jose in charge. Because we were shit with Jose in charge. We may well have won because football isn't always a clear cut sport. But nothing about the way we were playing under him at the time makes me think we'd have turned up .. you're free to feel differently.

Wish Jose could've showed some of his tactical astuteness by bringing on the players needed to get a single goal vs Dinamo. Ah well.

He built that team and revolutionized us. Always welcome back imo. Had no stadium and no money for 18 months to spend on players. Disrespectful imo about poch. He was a great manager for us. Conte has done marvellous for us though.

Wrong topic for that, but most of the cogs were in place before he joined.
He indeed helped some of the players to step up. But when he joined, we already had Lloris, Rose, Walker, Vertonghen, Dembele, Eriksen, Kane in the squad when he walked through the door.
He did help to elevate our performance levels and create a good team spirit that was made up of young guns.

But one cannot hide from the fact that it resulted in 0 trophies.
And our transfers after Son and Wanyama had been just shocking dumpster fire.
During his last season we put money into Ndombele and Lo Celso who combined will see total loss for us (purchase price-selling price+wages) of 150-160 mEUR. Which should result in some kind of criminal investigation and liability. After that I see very little reason why anyone would point to fact that he was not trusted with money. This window showed what we would have got in return.
It goes beyond purchases as well - team was truly mismanaged when our approach with Eriksen contract was to "wait for miracle" and our decision regarding Walker-Peters situation was "let him just hang about".

So I do agree that going back to Poch in 12 months time would be a step back.
I am not against him returning in some point in future, but next summer is not the right time.
I would prefer him to have mastered and achieved something significant.
This season PSG won only league - worst season of their history in terms of trophies since 2012-2013!
They were eliminated in first play-off round of CL (previous two seasons - final + semi-final) and were kicked out early in France cup (round of 16; last time they were eliminated this early or earlier was 2013-2014).

I do not think that saying that club should not go for him is disrespect. Club is and always will be bigger than manager.
And I do think that Tottenham can do better.

I doubt any team would really want to sack the manager a few days before a cup final. I also don't think it was a vindictive or skinflint move.

The club were aware we had a cup final looming for ages, plus a load of crap results, and that he didn't get sacked prior shows the club tried to stumble on hoping for things to improve. I presume what simply happened by cup final week was a combination that the atmosphere at the club was so bad, Jose had demonstrably given up and/or picking fights with people by then, and enough people at the club from the executives down to the tealady had made it known they couldn't work with this guy any longer. And change had to happen.

Anyway, all resigned to dustbin of history, thank god.

Last edited:
He didn't 'threaten' to resign, the whole point of what he said was that winning the CL with Spurs would be the pinnacle and he'd never match that again. He wasn't trying to hold the club to ransom, just express how big a deal it was that we were in the final.

I think it was the wrong thing to say. But we didn't play particularly badly in that final so we were hardly destabilised. They just had more at either ends of the pitch, which we knew before the game..

I disagree with all of that

We played shite in the final and never looked like scoring and that remark by Poch was probably partially due to that but also partially due to his idiotic decision playing a clearly unfit Kane instead of Moura who got us there!
Bad enough starting Winks and Sissoko

So no I don’t want him back as that would be a retrograde step

My point was that Jose is a serial winner apart from when he managed us

I didn't 'write us off'.

I said I think we lose even if Jose in charge. Because we were shit with Jose in charge. We may well have won because football isn't always a clear cut sport. But nothing about the way we were playing under him at the time makes me think we'd have turned up .. you're free to feel differently.

Wish Jose could've showed some of his tactical astuteness by bringing on the players needed to get a single goal vs Dinamo. Ah well.

You said

“I firmly believe that we would lose “

Like I said I question your loyalty as I have never felt like that no matter who we play and have done so since the Double year

Conte in transfer negotiations with Levy
buster-gonad-e91c370e-0676-47b9-8f3e-9db42baec15-resize-750.jpg

If you really question the members on this forum because they disagree with you then leave it

You said

“I firmly believe that we would lose “

Like I said I question your loyalty as I have never felt like that no matter who we play and have done so since the Double year
With the greatest of respect,

1) criticising (and telling people to leave the forum - which I am not a fan of) a member for questioning the opinions of members on this forum

2) then questioning the opinions and loyalty of other members for thinking that we were very likely to lose a game when we were in bad form against the league leaders

Does seem a little hypocritical to me.

There are many games that we go into that I feel we are likely to lose but that doesn't mean that I don't want with all of my being to be proved wrong and for my team to destroy my expectations.

Questioning loyalty for that seems unfair and cult like imo.

With the greatest of respect,

1) criticising (and telling people to leave the forum - which I am not a fan of) a member for questioning the opinions of members on this forum

2) then questioning the opinions and loyalty of other members for thinking that we were very likely to lose a game when we were in bad form against the league leaders

Does seem a little hypocritical to me.

There are many games that we go into that I feel we are likely to lose but that doesn't mean that I don't want with all of my being to be proved wrong and for my team to destroy my expectations.

Questioning loyalty for that seems unfair and cult like imo.

I disagree with you and I’ve already explained that whatever game comes up for us I’ve NEVER ‘firmly believed’ that we’d lose it!

That’s not being hypocritical to criticise those that do

It’s also not being hypocritical to say to posters that don’t like this forum and constantly criticise it to leave it
Some do and fair play to them as it’s not for everybody
You yourself are hardly a prolific user of it
43 posts in three years which isn’t a problem but maybe you’re not fully aware of the dynamic on here?

You might not be aware, therefore, that we have some posters on here that actually want us to lose games because of their own particular agenda against a particular manager or player

They’re not fans either imv

I disagree with you and I’ve already explained that whatever game comes up for us I’ve NEVER ‘firmly believed’ that we’d lose it!

That’s not being hypocritical to criticise those that do

It’s also not being hypocritical to say to posters that don’t like this forum and constantly criticise it to leave it
Some do and fair play to them as it’s not for everybody
You yourself are hardly a prolific user of it
43 posts in three years which isn’t a problem but maybe you’re not fully aware of the dynamic on here?

You might not be aware, therefore, that we have some posters on here that actually want us to lose games because of their own particular agenda against a particular manager or player

They’re not fans either imv
You're right that am no where near as prolific poster than yourself (I'm more than a lurker) and that you bring much more to the forum than me (I'm not even in the same league as you).

You'd also be right that I do not fully understand (or even wish to understand tbh) the forum dynamic between different members. I'd like to try and keep my interactions based on the posts themselves rather than on the members posting them.

I've been slowly catching threads one by one now we're in the off season (as I avoid the transfer threads as rumours can frustrate me).

I generally (with one clear troll exception) don't like "get off the forum" comments as if the forum bans certain views, it would just become another pointless internet echo chamber.

However, in calling your comment "embarrassing", your reaction in the first post I quoted I could understand.

It was only after the later post I quoted which I took real issue with it (which imo, did exactly the same as what Lickher did to you). It read to me as attack on anyone's loyalty to Spurs who goes into a game thinking we would probably lose, which I am guilty of as recently as Anfield. And while I'm not going to claim to be the best fan (I'm no where near) Spurs have the capacity to elate me or ruin my day as much as any reasonable fan and I always want them to win

But for either of these posts, I don't know the context of your interactions with either poster or everything they've said. I personally have not seen anything that suggests that either of them are not spurs fans (even when I read the post's content and/or tone that I disagree with).

In hindsight, I shouldn't have got involved so I'm not going to post again regarding it. I'm too excited by what next season to want to continue this (and yes I know I say this after I have just written this essay, sadly it's in my nature). Feel free to have the last word.

You're right that am no where near as prolific poster than yourself (I'm more than a lurker) and that you bring much more to the forum than me (I'm not even in the same league as you).

You'd also be right that I do not fully understand (or even wish to understand tbh) the forum dynamic between different members. I'd like to try and keep my interactions based on the posts themselves rather than on the members posting them.

I've been slowly catching threads one by one now we're in the off season (as I avoid the transfer threads as rumours can frustrate me).

I generally (with one clear troll exception) don't like "get off the forum" comments as if the forum bans certain views, it would just become another pointless internet echo chamber.

However, in calling your comment "embarrassing", your reaction in the first post I quoted I could understand.

It was only after the later post I quoted which I took real issue with it (which imo, did exactly the same as what Lickher did to you). It read to me as attack on anyone's loyalty to Spurs who goes into a game thinking we would probably lose, which I am guilty of as recently as Anfield. And while I'm not going to claim to be the best fan (I'm no where near) Spurs have the capacity to elate me or ruin my day as much as any reasonable fan and I always want them to win

But for either of these posts, I don't know the context of your interactions with either poster or everything they've said. I personally have not seen anything that suggests that either of them are not spurs fans (even when I read the post's content and/or tone that I disagree with).

In hindsight, I shouldn't have got involved so I'm not going to post again regarding it. I'm too excited by what next season to want to continue this (and yes I know I say this after I have just written this essay, sadly it's in my nature). Feel free to have the last word.

I’ve no problems with who has the last word
And no problem with being a lurker (I do it on other forums even stealing their jokes!)

Like you Spurs can make or break my day or weekend!

I won’t bore with details but there are feuds on here going back years before Admin tightened it up for the better

Like I said in my previous post I fail to understand ‘alleged’ Spurs fans actively wanting us to lose to suit their agendas

I want to win every game and always watch the game in the belief that we will win

Like you I’m excited about next season under Conte and getting signings in early

COYS

Back
Top Bottom