Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was just so shocked and astounded by the drop off this season. It was unforgivable.

He def. changed things.......

Ignoring the sprint memes; I also wonder what else went on during pre-season......? ....... Had Conte's personality already worn thin? .....Had the players already become sick of his way of playing? ............The lethargy was there from the start. We even struggled against the local SK teams.

We were 'all' waiting for something to click as recent as the xmas/NY and it just never happened.

Jose was at least funny and actually looked like he wanted to be here. But was a bad fit in all ways football related.

Mass injuries permitting and covid not taking a huge bite out of our trf budget; I could see Jose's time playing out somewhat differently (in the short-term at least).... I bet he looks back upon what Conte got to spend and feels more than a little hard-done-by.

........He also showed a FAR greater deal of flexibility in term of trying different players/formations.

He def. changed things.......

Ignoring the sprint memes; I also wonder what else went on during pre-season......? ....... Had Conte's personality already worn thin? .....Had the players already become sick of his way of playing? ............The lethargy was there from the start. We even struggled against the local SK teams.

We were 'all' waiting for something to click as recent as the xmas/NY and it just never happened.

I said a few times, I think he lost them in the preseason in many respects. Those very public long runs in the Korean heat wouldn't have gone down well with a lot of people's egos. I can't imagine too many were pleased to have been shown up so publicly by the youngsters beating them in those runs. In Korea he was also making them do double sessions on days and then play a friendly match in the evening. I know players have to be professional but sometimes it just goes too far.

Now it actually looks to be doing us harm, we've conceded so many late goals recently, I suspect the players are just shattered from chasing the ball for 90 minutes every match, having to bust a gut both physically and mentally to come back from being behind so many times in games too. I'm glad there is no tournament this summer before preseason.

I said a few times, I think he lost them in the preseason in many respects. Those very public long runs in the Korean heat wouldn't have gone down well with a lot of people's egos. I can't imagine too many were pleased to have been shown up so publicly by the youngsters beating them in those runs. In Korea he was also making them do double sessions on days and then play a friendly match in the evening. I know players have to be professional but sometimes it just goes too far.

Now it actually looks to be doing us harm, we've conceded so many late goals recently, I suspect the players are just shattered from chasing the ball for 90 minutes every match, having to bust a gut both physically and mentally to come back from being behind so many times in games too. I'm glad there is no tournament this summer before preseason.

I was thinking about this earlier.... What with covid, moving the Euros & WC, early/late start/ends to the season etc., this stands to be the first proper length summer break since 2019..... Even then the players just had a WC wedged in the middle of the season........

Then we have Euro 24 next summer; the next fully, unhindered, non-tournament season will be 25/26.

Madness!!!

A lot of posters might think they were on the right track associating Conte with Spurs decline in terms of use of squad, tactics, results ....... and why spend £40m buying Porro who is a little bit better than Spence who isn't being used (but was RWB when Rennes beat PSG with Mbappe and Messi in Paris) when other positions (eg CB) needed reinforcing etc.

Definitely a great achievement to reach the CL final ....but it includes losing twice to Bayern and 1 win vs Barcelona in the group stage. 1-0 over 2 legs vs Porto and destroying a 5th place pretty shit Milan team. They got extremely lucky on the draw. The real final is happening today vs City and Real followed by an exhibition match vs inter.

Yeah and at the end Inter would have won exactly how many titles after Conte??? If they win the CL, then their fans can talk.
Also who really build that squad???
And in the next 10 year they may very well never reach even 1\2 final in CL. CL is a lot about luck factor and Guardiola resultswith City and Bayern is a perfect example of it. Sometimes it's just take time.

Last edited:
The best decision Conte made was not signing the lucrative contract extention Levy & Paratici offered him.

I assume we won't be paying the miserable dinosaur any more money come the summer.

A lot of posters might think they were on the right track associating Conte with Spurs decline in terms of use of squad, tactics, results ....... and why spend £40m buying Porro who is a little bit better than Spence who isn't being used (but was RWB when Rennes beat PSG with Mbappe and Messi in Paris) when other positions (eg CB) needed reinforcing etc.

This is bollocks.

He won a league with Inter. Comfortably. Inzaghi has had a cup run due to a ridiculously easy draw. Inter haven’t faced a single top team.

We can hate Conte all we like, what he built & achieved outstrips Inzaghi by a good margin. Inter’s cup run is a nice story but if they’d met a Madrid, Bayern, City etc they’d be out.

City will monster them in that final.

This is bollocks.

He won a league with Inter. Comfortably. Inzaghi has had a cup run due to a ridiculously easy draw. Inter haven’t faced a single top team.

We can hate Conte all we like, what he built & achieved outstrips Inzaghi by a good margin. Inter’s cup run is a nice story but if they’d met a Madrid, Bayern, City etc they’d be out.

City will monster them in that final.
It may outstrip Inzaghi but at the first time of adversity at Inter when he was told he had to trim the squad and wage bill he resigned. The fact is time and time again in Conte's management career when things have got hard he has done a runner, it is now his pattern.

Conte may go on to win things again but as soon as it gets tough or there is some adversity he will be gone.

He will probably sue for the final year.

There's no year left to sue for.......

He was in the last couple of months of his contract. He left by "mutual consent"..... Probably means we split the difference.

There's no year left to sue for.......

He was in the last couple of months of his contract. He left by "mutual consent"..... Probably means we split the difference.
He had an option for another year, his "normal" contract was up. I bet he will sue for it.

He still sued Chelsea and won. We will see I guess.
The fact is we would be in position to sue him. He was the one who decided to find his way out. Football is also a small world where their are very few big employers and if you sue everyone you will be blacklisted no matter what type of tactical genius you are.

The board was happy to back that decision even though it was their decision to buy Spence, we now have three right wingbacks at the club, which is one right wingback too many. The decline started well before he took over, when he took over we were midtable and when he left we were 4th.

The board was happy to back that decision even though it was their decision to buy Spence, we now have three right wingbacks

You're not wrong.... We also binned off Doherty in order to make it happen.....

In all honesty, if he was refusing to sign his extention then we shouldn't have pushed forward on Porro, BUT imagine if we didn't "back" Conte's request though....... The board would have been accused of driving Conte out by not backing him.

Back
Top Bottom